Old 11-10-2015, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT spiders

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 14:53:16 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

On 11/10/2015 10:12, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 11:44:12 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

This year our house has been inundated with large spiders. Thank
goodness neither myself of my wife a frightened by them. Almost every
morning there are one, and sometimes 2, in the bath. Where are they all
coming from? It is not the same one as they are flushed away each morning.

Don't flush the spiders away they have just fallen into the bath and
can't climb out. Catch them in a glass and put them out. Don't catch
them in your hand as some UK species pack a bite which you probably
won't feel but may react to. They can be quite dangerous. About ten
years ago my wife developed a large red swelling on her arm. The
doctor immediately diagnosed it as a spider bite. Apparently it's due
a spider that comes for Madeira spreading north over the warmer parts
of the UK. We live in Cheshire so it's definitely been around here for
over ten years.

Steve

Are you sure that the spiders will survive outdoors, or may they die a
slow death?

Some spiders live outdoors already. I don't know how long individual
spiders live but they always seem to produce a new generation.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 11-10-2015, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:

Are you sure that the spiders will survive outdoors, or may they die a
slow death?

They've managed for the 4 billion years before we started molishing houses,
and the 4000 years before central heating.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
This year our house has been inundated with large spiders. Thank goodness
neither myself of my wife a frightened by them. Almost every morning
there are one, and sometimes 2, in the bath. Where are they all coming
from? It is not the same one as they are flushed away each morning.

It's spider breeding season. The boys are on the march after the girls.
Please do not flush them down the plughole, they will die if you do. Get
them in a towel and put them outside. I was once very afraid of spiders
but I've progressed to "scoop up in fluffy towel and flap outside"
I can't do the glass/cardboard thing. The minute the spider runs up the
glass, I drop it.

Tina

Much better to just slap them with a newspaper!

Alan

Old 12-10-2015, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 16:23:20 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

wrote:

This year our house has been inundated with large spiders. Thank
goodness neither myself of my wife a frightened by them. Almost every
morning there are one, and sometimes 2, in the bath. Where are they all
coming from? It is not the same one as they are flushed away each
morning.

They climb back up the waste pipe.

So how do they get past the trap?

They don't go past the trap when they are flushed, so once the tap is turned
off, they simply climb out of the waste and wait in the bath for 24 hours
for it to happen again, this is because they can't get out of the bath due
to the sides being too smooth.

If the OP wishes to get rid of them, simply scoop up on a piece of paper and
lob em out of the bathroom window, it only needs to be done once instead of
bathing them every day.

But every one has been destroyed, yet they still keep coming. I assume
they come down from above and cannot get back. They certainly can't get
in through the waste pipe, as spiders cannot swim!!

Karma will get your nasty arse in the end. Good job too.

Apparently they come indoors looking for a mate I read in the paper
yesterday.

We use a spider vacuum with great success no matter what size of
critter and the kids love catching them too. Then just put them
outside and wait for them to come in through the waste pipe again lol
Thank goodness the bath seems to trap the biggest critters. You can
almost see on their faces the indignity of it all as they are placed
outside again after so much effort.

Spider vacuum
http://tinyurl.com/o2xvony

Get a decent rechargeable PP3 though as you will need it.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/10/2015 16:27, Robert Harvey wrote:
Broadback wrote:

Are you sure that the spiders will survive outdoors, or may they die a
slow death?

They've managed for the 4 billion years before we started molishing houses,
and the 4000 years before central heating.

I think that is a specious argument, as all creatures evolve, so perhaps
these will not do well "in the wild". I simply wondered if these very
large "house" spiders are likely to survive outside. Is there a spider
expert here who knows? Personally I have never seen the very large
spiders outside that we have in the house. However having said that who
would believe the number there are, it is only after a foggy night and
their webs become evident that one realises how many spiders there are
out there.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote in message

I have struggled with fear of spiders all my life but it's not their
fault,
it's mine.

I don't think it's anyone's fault. It's an instinctive thing that's hard
wired into our brains from way back.
I've trained myself to pick them up by closing my hand over them. They
freeze and play dead, which makes it a whole lot easier. Dustpan and brush
works well too IME

I absolutely could not pick a big spider up with my bare hand although
picking up moths and beetles to put them outside is not a problem.
Haven't tried the dustpan and brush, probably won't in case it runs over my
hand. I can't do the glass and cardboard method either. Because even though
I know it's safely in the glass if it runs up it into my hand, I drop it.
My favourite and current method is the big fluffy towel, gather them up in
it and flap it outside.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 08:53:40 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

I've trained myself to pick them up by closing my hand over them. They
freeze and play dead, which makes it a whole lot easier.

No training needed here. I've always just picked them up in a closed
hand, while SWMBO looks on from the top of the curtains. In fairness,
she's a bit better with them now.

--

I'm better than I was too. But even though I know it's stupid, and they
cannot harm me, I really cannot conquer it.
But at least they get flapped outside and not flushed down the plughole.
Yep, it's bit nippy out there so let them find their way into my neighbour's
house, preferably in huge quantities (worst neighbours ever). I won't bore
you with how they blocked my car in continually because I wouldn't agree to
them building a two metre brick wall in front of my kitchen window or how
they tried to get me to agree to them taking some of my land. Etc.Etc, lots
more. so a nice huge spider infestation in their house would be great ;-)
I hope every big spider I flap outside makes it's way there.
I truly never had neighbours like them. I should have got the police when
they took a section of fence down and sprayed weedkiller on the honeysuckle
that my late mother bought me. I didn't.
That really hurt, but hey, I believe in Karma. It needs to work fairly soon
though..

Old 12-10-2015, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 08:44:30 +0100, Broadback

Broadback wrote:

Are you sure that the spiders will survive outdoors, or may they die a
slow death?

They've managed for the 4 billion years before we started molishing
houses,
and the 4000 years before central heating.

I think that is a specious argument, as all creatures evolve, so perhaps
these will not do well "in the wild". I simply wondered if these very
large "house" spiders are likely to survive outside. Is there a spider
expert here who knows? Personally I have never seen the very large
spiders outside that we have in the house. However having said that who
would believe the number there are, it is only after a foggy night and
their webs become evident that one realises how many spiders there are
out there.

You should see the size of the ones on our boat.

Spiders hate every fiber of our existence.
Coming our way soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVO6A2anEqI

Old 12-10-2015, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 19:09:13 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
If the OP wishes to get rid of them, simply scoop up on Try the
fluffy towel approach. They don't deserve to die because I have an

unreasonable fear of them.
And it is unreasonable. I know that they cannot harm me but it makes no
difference about their scariness. The bigger they are, the worst the fear
gets.
But it's not their fault, so I try not to harm them.

Nicely said Christina! I hate them too. It's totally unreasonable I
know, but I try not to harm them. Two yers ago I bought from Amazon a
"Spider catcher" but so far I've not seen a spide in the house!
Garden spiders don't bother me, other than their webs which get me
when I walk down the garden.
Live and let live.

I'm not fond of garden spiders either if they are very big and fat. I take
a cane with me to go down to the chickens every day to sweep them away.
They are not harmed, it just means a lot more work for them to get their web
repaired for the next day, and then it happens again. I hope they will
realise that building their web just a foot away from the path will be a lot
less trouble for them ;-)
I don't find garden spiders as horrifying as big house spiders but the
really big fat ones, no. Don't like them.
I think size is the issue with me.

Boyfie, my cat, is excellent with house spiders if they are on the floor.
He just jumps on them and eats them. He curls his lip up when he eats them
so I guess they aren't very nice to eat.
If they are on the wall, he will chase them up to 4 feet but otherwise it's
up to me.
Once, there was something in the kitchen sink plughole so I got it out. It
felt like wire, so I thought "what can be in here that feels like wire?"
It was a massive spider that had obviously drowned. But how my cat can even
think about chomping them when their legs are like wire, I don't know. He
does it anyway.

He likes a spider hunt. He's really good at it.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 18:33:11 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
This year our house has been inundated with large spiders. Thank
goodness
neither myself of my wife a frightened by them. Almost every morning
there
are one, and sometimes 2, in the bath. Where are they all coming from?
It
is not the same one as they are flushed away each morning.

It's spider breeding season. The boys are on the march after the girls.
Please do not flush them down the plughole, they will die if you do.
Get
them in a towel and put them outside. I was once very afraid of spiders
but
I've progressed to "scoop up in fluffy towel and flap outside"
I can't do the glass/cardboard thing. The minute the spider runs up the
glass, I drop it.

Tina

I prefer the glass and card trick. with a towel, tissue etc I cannot
see where the spider is, with the glass I can.

+1

With the towel method there's always the chance it will run back up
the towel, over your hand, up your arm and into your hair

quick, nurse; the smelling salts

Janet

Absolutely not.Just get the spider into the middle of the Bigfluffytowel
and take hold carefully. You will never know it's there. Then just flap it
outside. It's the only way I've been able to do it. Never had one escape
from the towel and no spiders were harmed in this process as far as I know.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
This year our house has been inundated with large spiders. Thank
goodness neither myself of my wife a frightened by them. Almost every
morning there are one, and sometimes 2, in the bath. Where are they all
coming from? It is not the same one as they are flushed away each
morning.

It's spider breeding season. The boys are on the march after the girls.
Please do not flush them down the plughole, they will die if you do. Get
them in a towel and put them outside. I was once very afraid of spiders
but I've progressed to "scoop up in fluffy towel and flap outside"
I can't do the glass/cardboard thing. The minute the spider runs up the
glass, I drop it.

Tina

Much better to just slap them with a newspaper!

Alan

so you're in favour of killing them? Explain why.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:

Are you sure that the spiders will survive outdoors, or may they die a
slow death?

They've managed for the 4 billion years before we started molishing
houses,
and the 4000 years before central heating.

I think that is a specious argument, as all creatures evolve, so perhaps
these will not do well "in the wild". I simply wondered if these very
large "house" spiders are likely to survive outside. Is there a spider
expert here who knows? Personally I have never seen the very large
spiders outside that we have in the house. However having said that who
would believe the number there are, it is only after a foggy night and
their webs become evident that one realises how many spiders there are
out there.

You should see the size of the ones on our boat.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Send a pic.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 18:10:28 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

I absolutely could not pick a big spider up with my bare hand although
picking up moths and beetles to put them outside is not a problem.

A good few years ago, we had a cat who loved to eat them.

Ours used to do that, his favourite shock tactic was to eat one right
against the window on the outside of the glass Then sit there on the
window sill while the spiders legs still thrashed on the outside of
his lips while he "sucked it " ,let it run out and repeat .

Usaully when we were sat inches away on the inside of the window
having a meal. The *** knew exactly what he was doing.

G.Harman
Old 15-10-2015, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

but they can walk on water.

Especially Dolomedes fimbriatus, the so-called Raft Spider. It's the
largest spider in Britain and catches aquatic insects, small frogs and
small fish.
--
Spider
On high ground in SE London

Spiders Tom Kirkpatrick Lawns 2 28-03-2003 04:44 AM
[IBC] scales (was:Killing little white spiders?) Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 15 31-01-2003 10:58 PM
[IBC] Killing little white spiders? Dave Stegink Bonsai 3 31-01-2003 05:49 PM
[IBC] **** [IBC] scales (was:Killing little white spiders?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 31-01-2003 04:43 PM
Gardening & Spiders subbykins{Chrd} United Kingdom 14 15-11-2002 09:59 PM