Old 21-10-2015, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cymbidium report

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 18:04:20 +0100, Spider wrote:

A couple of years ago, I divided some of my Cymbidiums and, because I'd
always found the foliage rather too long and floppy, I judiciously
trimmed the strappy leaves so that it was more tidy. I did wonder if
this would affect subsequent flowering (as did some urglers; Pam Moore,
I think, was one, because she had also found her plants could be untidy
and unmanageable). Well, I can report that it doesn't seem to harm the
plants or their ability to flower at all. Last year, my plants flowered
outside and were spoiled by rain, but at least they *did* flower. This
year, two of my plants have put up flower spikes (one has 4, which is
more than it had when I bought it!) and I have brought them indoors to
keep them pristine so that I can enjoy them this time. The flowers
haven't opened yet, but the stems look very healthy indeed.

So, although no garden book would ever suggest it or endorse it, the
trimming of *some* leaves (usually longer, tatty ones) can be attempted
without flowering being affected. To be honest, I don't even remember
feeding the Cyms this summer, so they're obviously coping without - in
the short term at least.

Yes Spider. I have cut back by almost half most of the longest leaves
on my cymbidium. I just don't have room for such a big plant and now
it needs dividing again. I'm loath to do it in case it stops it
flowerint but no sign of any flowers yet. Yours are obviously happy!
When do you divide and repot?
I think I brought it in too soon. It would have liked the cooler
nights and the rain we've got now after hardly any for about 3 weeks.
David Hill, I think you said yours are flowering now too, and Bob says
it's flowering time.
I have 1 cymbidium and 4 phals and no sign of flowers on any ATM.
Ever hopeful!
Old 21-10-2015, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/10/2015 10:37, Pam Moore wrote:
[...]

Pam,
It's strange but my cymbidiums stay in the greenhouse all year round,
they do have a bit of shading in the summer, otherwise no special treatment.
Old 21-10-2015, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 11:00:31 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

[...]

Feeling starved of orchid flowers I bought another phal in Tesco
today. £5. Trouble is they sell them in full bloom so the flowers
don't last as long!
Old 23-10-2015, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Hi Pam,

Apart from the roughly two yrs ago as mentioned above, I may very well
have divided in autumn, which possibly isn't the right time. It should
be done after the plants have finished flowering. Mine wasn't
flowering, I do remember that.
As to bringing them in on time this year, I noticed they were producing
flowering stems outdoors in September, which is why I brought them
indoors. They had probably been outdoors from about June onwards. I
keep them in shade or semi-shade until they're used to outside
temperatures (night and day), then I move them into a sunnier spot to
help ripen the growth. If it gets too hot/bright, I move them again
into shade. They're not pampered when outdoors but, provided I remember
to water them (I use a weak liquid tomato feed while they're outside),
they seem to be quite happy. Although I said one of mine had four
(yellow) flower spikes, I've looked at my other Cym since and it has at
least five flower spikes coming! I think these will be a lovely
pinky-beige. Can't wait now.
I do have at least two other Cyms but, because they're the divisions
from two yrs ago, they are not threatening to flower yet. Perhaps if I
had remembered to feed them, they would be more advanced. Nevermind,
I'm a patient soul; I can wait till next year.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London
Old 23-10-2015, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/10/2015 11:00, David Hill wrote:
[...]

Perhaps they think being in a greenhouse all year round *is* special
treatment! I'm sure yours don't suffer the wind damage mine do. My
leaves can get a bit tatty, which is why I tend to trim them. I never
had to do that when I kept them indoors, but I never got them to
re-flower indoors either, so I'm happy with the new regime.

--
Spider
Gardening on heavy clay on

Old 23-10-2015, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Well done, Pam! Enjoy it.
What are you doing with your other Phals to try and get them re-flowering?
--
Spider
On high ground in SE London