Old 31-10-2015, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Green tomatoes?

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

snipped
It's gone past people wanting freshly grown foods. One of the younger
women who works for me was not impressed when I told her some of the
veg in my garden was for gathering, cleaning, cutting, cooking and
then eating. Her ideal meal is already cooked and on a plate. That's
what her mother does for her.

Steve

I gave a woman neighbour a savoy cabbage grown in my allotment. She
told a neighbour who told me that she had been forced to throw it out as
it was filthy and had "creepie-crawlies" in it, unlike the cabbage she
bought from Tesco.
i.e. There was some soil on the roots, and maybe a caterpillar or slug
inside the outer leaves.

--
It is necessary for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph.

Attributed to Edmund Burke 1729 - 1797
Old 31-10-2015, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/10/15 16:31, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 30/10/15 15:28, Bob Hobden wrote:
It's just a waste of my time wandering about trying to convince people to take
stuff I know they don't want, I would much rather just recycle it on the compost
heap then everyone is relaxed and happy.

This year people in my road have started leaving kerbside boxes of
stuff for people to take; tomato plants earlier and Bramleys at the
moment. I've taken some and it appears other people have taken some
as well.

This year we had a glut of dessert apples (since identified as Laxton's
Fortune), so I put a couple of kilos in poly bags and left them on a
chair outside with the notice "Free apples - please take a bag". All 18
bags went in a couple of days. Much better than just chucking them on
the compost heap.

--

Jeff
Old 01-11-2015, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/10/2015 10:14, Jeff Layman wrote:
This year we had a glut of dessert apples (since identified as Laxton's
Fortune), so I put a couple of kilos in poly bags and left them on a
chair outside with the notice "Free apples - please take a bag". All 18
bags went in a couple of days. Much better than just chucking them on
the compost heap.

We've got loads of the best ones stored for eating. The second best went
for stewing (and despite giving some away the freezer is pretty full).
3rd best - it turned out next door has a cider press. over 20 litres
from just one tree. The 4th grade have gone in the compost.

They've turned out to be Fiesta. I'm slightly disappointed - I hoped
they'd be something rare/old/local. Maybe a Histon Favourite

Andy
Old 05-12-2015, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

or what else can I do with them?

I guess it's for the American to chime in:

Battered and fried?

I once had a film "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" which was
one of my of favourite films ever from the USA. and proves that you can fry
green tomatoes. If you get a chance to see it, please do. It's about
subtle love and I cried.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/12/2015 21:03, Christina Websell wrote:
"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

or what else can I do with them?

I guess it's for the American to chime in:

Battered and fried?

I once had a film "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" which was
one of my of favourite films ever from the USA. and proves that you can fry
green tomatoes. If you get a chance to see it, please do. It's about
subtle love and I cried.

You can fry cow dung but you wouldn't want to eat it.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 21:03:07 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
.. .
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

or what else can I do with them?

I guess it's for the American to chime in:

Battered and fried?

I once had a film "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" which was
one of my of favourite films ever from the USA. and proves that you can fry
green tomatoes. If you get a chance to see it, please do. It's about
subtle love and I cried.

My mother fried slices of any of the garden grown tomatoes that were
unlikely to ripen before October. They were still green and fried
better than red tomatoes. That was along time before the film came
out.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com