Old 26-10-2015, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Green tomatoes?

just cleared the greenhouse and have been left with a number of green
tomatoes how can I get them to ripen?

or what else can I do with them?

Alan

Old 27-10-2015, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

just cleared the greenhouse and have been left with a number of green
tomatoes how can I get them to ripen?

or what else can I do with them?

Alan

My mother used to wrap them in newspaper and put them in a drawer. Ripe by
Christmas. Otherwise it's chutney.

Old 27-10-2015, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/10/15 23:17, Alan Holmes wrote:

just cleared the greenhouse and have been left with a number of green
tomatoes how can I get them to ripen?

or what else can I do with them?

Alan

Try putting them in a polythene back with ripening bananas.

--

Jeff
Old 27-10-2015, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote

just cleared the greenhouse and have been left with a number of green
tomatoes how can I get them to ripen?

or what else can I do with them?

What we used to do was make green tomato chutney, then about two years later
we would get it out of the cupboard scrape it into the bin, now we short
circuit that process and put them straight into the compost. Any that are
showing red/pink can be ripened on a windowsill or a drawer with a ripe
banana but check for mould etc.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-10-2015, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

just cleared the greenhouse and have been left with a number of green
tomatoes how can I get them to ripen?

or what else can I do with them?

Alan

My mother used to wrap them in newspaper and put them in a drawer. Ripe by
Christmas. Otherwise it's chutney.

Put them in a paper bag with an apple and pop the bag into a drawer. They
will ripen within 3 weeks at room temperature. The ethylene gas emitted by
the apple does the ripening job.

Old 29-10-2015, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote

just cleared the greenhouse and have been left with a number of green
tomatoes how can I get them to ripen?

or what else can I do with them?

What we used to do was make green tomato chutney, then about two years later
we would get it out of the cupboard scrape it into the bin, now we short
circuit that process and put them straight into the compost.
cut

That's a terrible waste. They make good green chutney, and with the
addition of a jalapeno chilli to the mix, unbeatable by any shop bought
product.

Peter

--
It is necessary for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph.

Attributed to Edmund Burke 1729 - 1797
Old 29-10-2015, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 23:30:47 -0000,
Frank Booth wrote:
My mother used to wrap them in newspaper and put them in a drawer. Ripe by
Christmas. Otherwise it's chutney.

Put them in a paper bag with an apple and pop the bag into a drawer. They
will ripen within 3 weeks at room temperature. The ethylene gas emitted by
the apple does the ripening job.

I put mine in a « garde-manger », whatever that is in English..: a tiny
cupboard, probably always with a fine metal mash in front, put in a dry,
cool and mostly dark place.
Two techniques worked:
- wrapped in newspaper
- covered by a small cardboard box

No bananas or apples whatsoever. They are ripening like this, although
each individual appears to take an arbitrary time to get red.
Also, I have a doubt about what we call “ripening”. Does it really do
that? Is the color really an indication of “ripeness”? I admit that the
red tomatoes are also getting softer, but they lack flavour in
comparison to those that I picked directly from the plant.

If someone came along telling me: “Na. They are only redder, not any riper”
I will just accept that.

Michael
--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
New Key as of autumn 2015:
Old 29-10-2015, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote:

or what else can I do with them?

I guess it's for the American to chime in:

Battered and fried?

Old 29-10-2015, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote

just cleared the greenhouse and have been left with a number of green
tomatoes how can I get them to ripen?

or what else can I do with them?

What we used to do was make green tomato chutney, then about two years
later
we would get it out of the cupboard scrape it into the bin, now we short
circuit that process and put them straight into the compost.
cut

That's a terrible waste. They make good green chutney, and with the
addition of a jalapeno chilli to the mix, unbeatable by any shop bought
product.

For us the waste is the money, time and effort making stuff neither of us
like and then throwing it away.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 30-10-2015, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Old 30-10-2015, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Michael Uplawski" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

For us the waste is the money, time and effort making stuff neither of us
like and then throwing it away.

One of my wife's uncles provides us with delicious marmelade in
arbitrary volume, because for many years his health-condition does not
permit him to eat it himself... but then again. He has given us an
earthing-cable, too, several meshes which serve as sieves in the garden,
many cherries, prunes, scions, some of the cables, that I use for the
lighting in the stable, switches, fuse-box elements, another maple-tree
and a lot more stuff, that he does not want to see perish.

There is a way, I'd say.

Don't see how? We know no-one that would want green tomatoes, in fact few
that ever want anything we grow, they would rather have it pre
washed/prepared and beautiful (but tasteless) from a supermarket. The
exceptions seems to be butternut squash, chillies and garlic, we actually
get asked for them.

Runner beans are something else we throw away when we have a glut, only one
of our neighbours will take any and only occasionally, we came to the
conclusion they are too difficult to prepare and, of course, some have never
seen them before as it is a British veg and they have no idea how to deal
with them.
Tried the local food bank a couple of years ago but they don't want fresh
produce.

It's just a waste of my time wandering about trying to convince people to
take stuff I know they don't want, I would much rather just recycle it on
the compost heap then everyone is relaxed and happy.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 30-10-2015, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 15:28:40 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

It's just a waste of my time wandering about trying to convince people to
take stuff I know they don't want, I would much rather just recycle it on
the compost heap then everyone is relaxed and happy.

It's gone past people wanting freshly grown foods. One of the younger
women who works for me was not impressed when I told her some of the
veg in my garden was for gathering, cleaning, cutting, cooking and
then eating. Her ideal meal is already cooked and on a plate. That's
what her mother does for her.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 30-10-2015, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/10/15 15:28, Bob Hobden wrote:
It's just a waste of my time wandering about trying to convince people to take
stuff I know they don't want, I would much rather just recycle it on the compost
heap then everyone is relaxed and happy.

This year people in my road have started leaving kerbside boxes of
stuff for people to take; tomato plants earlier and Bramleys at the
moment. I've taken some and it appears other people have taken some
as well.

It is a pleasant reminder of when I lived near Cambridge, and there
used to be honesty jamjars along the road

Old 31-10-2015, 06:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 15:56:42 +0000,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

It's gone past people wanting freshly grown foods. One of the younger
women who works for me was not impressed when I told her some of the
veg in my garden was for gathering, cleaning, cutting, cooking and
then eating. Her ideal meal is already cooked and on a plate. That's
what her mother does for her.

One of our British friends made us minced meat. Another one gave us one
of those cakes that you do (or did) for weddings, then keep for years,
changing the sugar cover sometimes... Onion jam... did I name
Whiskey-cake?

But they confirm your statement. This kind of effort appears to be «
out », now. But it is a pity. Everywhere I went, people appear to be
convinced of the shear « absence » of cooking knowledge in Britain,
while I love about everything that I have tasted... Even my father, as
POW, had made the same experience and told us, fortunately. PLEASE
revive all your old British recipes and get them over here! ;-)

Michael
P.S. Have you read the « Asterix in Britain » comic ? “Olive oil? - I
use hot water for all my cooking, it gives everything such a fine taste”
sums it up. I guess.

Old 31-10-2015, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Supersede due to common mistake

On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 15:56:42 +0000,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

It's gone past people wanting freshly grown foods. One of the younger
women who works for me was not impressed when I told her some of the
veg in my garden was for gathering, cleaning, cutting, cooking and
then eating. Her ideal meal is already cooked and on a plate. That's
what her mother does for her.

One of our British friends made us mince meat [not minced meat - Sorry].