Old 22-02-2016, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wet socks wearing Wellies...why?

I've had three pairs of new wellington boots and all three have me with
wet socks by the end of the day.

I double sock and the top pair are wet at the end of the day but the
inner pair aren't that bad so I'm ruling out perspiration.

Is this usual for wellington boots?
Am I doing something wrong?

TIA
Old 22-02-2016, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/02/2016 18:36, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 18:16:21 +0000, Racquel Darrian
. wrote:

I've had three pairs of new wellington boots and all three have me with
wet socks by the end of the day.

I double sock and the top pair are wet at the end of the day but the
inner pair aren't that bad so I'm ruling out perspiration.

Is this usual for wellington boots?
Am I doing something wrong?

TIA

But it is perspiration. Your over-heated feet sweat; the sweat
evaporates from your feet and condenses on the cold inside surface of
the welly boots, from where it is transferred by direct contact onto
the top pair of socks. Wear fewer socks!

I'm going to try anti-perspirant spray on my feet and anti-perspirant
socks under my thermal socks tomorrow.

The first pair made the outer socks wet and dirty with mud so I think I
can safely say that they were leaking.

I can't wear fewer socks as I have Achilles heel problems and I need to
pad them out.
Old 22-02-2016, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

. wrote:

I've had three pairs of new wellington boots and all three have me with
wet socks by the end of the day.

I double sock and the top pair are wet at the end of the day but the
inner pair aren't that bad so I'm ruling out perspiration.

Is this usual for wellington boots?
Am I doing something wrong?

TIA

But it is perspiration. Your over-heated feet sweat; the sweat
evaporates from your feet and condenses on the cold inside surface of
the welly boots, from where it is transferred by direct contact onto
the top pair of socks. Wear fewer socks!

+1

If you want to test this, and don't mind a short bit of discomfort,
enclose one of your bare feet in a thin watertight polythene bag before
putting on your socks and the welly boot. With the other foot, do as you
normally do. After a short period of work, your polythene-enclosed foot
will be soaking wet with perspiration, but the socks will be dry. I
think you know what the other foot will be like...

--

Jeff
Old 22-02-2016, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 18:16:21 +0000, Racquel Darrian . wrote:

I've had three pairs of new wellington boots and all three have me with
wet socks by the end of the day.

I double sock and the top pair are wet at the end of the day but the
inner pair aren't that bad so I'm ruling out perspiration.

Is this usual for wellington boots?
Am I doing something wrong?

TIA

I can't help wondering how many pairs of feet you have that you need three pairs of new
wellingtons!

I have just a single pair which I wear with ordinary thin socks, the same that I wear with
a pair of shoes. I do not get wet socks because my feet do not heat up as they surely
would if I wore thick socks, let alone two pairs. I may be lucky that my feet do not get
cold in wellingtons as I know some people's do, but I chose the size so that they are
quite close fitting in just thin socks and it certainly works for me.
Old 22-02-2016, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 18:16:21 -0000, Racquel Darrian . wrote:

I've had three pairs of new wellington boots and all three have me with
wet socks by the end of the day.

I double sock and the top pair are wet at the end of the day but the
inner pair aren't that bad so I'm ruling out perspiration.

Is this usual for wellington boots?
Am I doing something wrong?

Yes. Why are you wearing socks? Why are you wearing wellies? Are you afraid of water? Gardening isn't really for you is it?

--
A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 years.

Old 22-02-2016, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Please ignore the troll. But, back to boots. I recommend thick
woollen socks (e.g. Brashers), which will get damp, but remain
warm. I also recommend proper boots, not Wellingtons, as used on
building sites or for hill walking (but there's no need for anything
too expensive).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-02-2016, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 21:17:34 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Please ignore the troll. But, back to boots. I recommend thick woollen
socks (e.g. Brashers), which will get damp, but remain warm. I also
recommend proper boots, not Wellingtons, as used on building sites or
for hill walking (but there's no need for anything too expensive).

I'm very sorry to say I replaced my Le Chameau pair after good service,
only to find that these are now manufactured in Morocco and are sadly not
the same quality. The price was of course unaltered. I then found out
that the very fine St Hubert line, which I have never been able to afford
but have tried on (the Duchess wears those) are being discontinued as the
skills to make them don't exist at the new site. Another lotto dream
crushed, alas...

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 22-02-2016, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

. wrote:
I've had three pairs of new wellington boots and all three have me
with wet socks by the end of the day.

I double sock and the top pair are wet at the end of the day but the
inner pair aren't that bad so I'm ruling out perspiration.

Is this usual for wellington boots?
Am I doing something wrong?

Yes. Why are you wearing socks? Why are you wearing wellies? Are
you afraid of water? Gardening isn't really for you is it?

Mr Macaw is: Peter Hucker, PHucker, Uncle Peter, Lieutenant Scot and loads
more socks.
He is long term unemployed and a 41 year old failure.
A career troll who has destroyed more than one group.
This is a sad little nobody who is best ignored.
HTH

Old 22-02-2016, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/02/2016 22:59, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 21:17:34 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Please ignore the troll. But, back to boots. I recommend thick woollen
socks (e.g. Brashers), which will get damp, but remain warm. I also
recommend proper boots, not Wellingtons, as used on building sites or
for hill walking (but there's no need for anything too expensive).

I'm very sorry to say I replaced my Le Chameau pair after good service,
only to find that these are now manufactured in Morocco and are sadly not
the same quality. The price was of course unaltered. I then found out
that the very fine St Hubert line, which I have never been able to afford
but have tried on (the Duchess wears those) are being discontinued as the
skills to make them don't exist at the new site. Another lotto dream
crushed, alas...

At the other end of the welly market, I bought a really cheap pair of
fleecy-lined ugly black wellies in Lidl for about £7 iirc and they are
extremely warm dry and comfy to wear.

Janet

I just about live in my wellies and have done for more years than I care
to remember.
Almost since they came into the UK I have been wearing Nora wellies,
they are light weight plastic and don't have a lining so if they get wet
or dirty inside you can wash them out and wipe them dry.
I do have sweaty feet but as they don't have a lining to hold the damp I
just put them in front of an electric fan heater for a few minutes to
warm them and dry out the inside before putting them on.
I have to wear support stockings and have now stopped wearing socks
inside the boots but do have good quality orthopaedic insoles.
They are the "Green wellies" that so many farmers wear
http://www.fanevalleystores.com/prod...en-Size-UK10-5
Normally last me around 2 years a pair but after having problems with
one pair I had a new pair direct from the manufactures and they lasted
over 3 years, so I now buy from people that have a good turnover of boots.
David@ a still waterlogged side of Swansea Bay.

Old 23-02-2016, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/02/16 21:17, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Please ignore the troll.

How was my reply trolling? It would show the OP that perspiration was
the problem, not a leaky boot.

--

Jeff
Old 23-02-2016, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I never wear 'Wellington Boots', horrible things!

For really messy, wet work out on our little small-holding I wear an
old pair of motorcycle boots (I am a 'biker). They are tough,
breathable, waterproof and *comfortable*. They look really scruffy
now and one zip has failed but the velcro closing still works well.
While some 'bike boots can be expensive there are reasonably priced
ones out there.

The other boots I wear are stableyard 'muckers' (I ride horses as well
as motorbikes), not quite as long as my motorcycle boots but still
very effective and comfortable.

--
Chris Green
·

Old 23-02-2016, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

Please ignore the troll.

How was my reply trolling? It would show the OP that perspiration was
the problem, not a leaky boot.

Obviously, you weren't the troll. I am sorry if you think I meant
that you were.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-02-2016, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 21:38:57 Emery Davis wrote:

I'm very sorry to say I replaced my Le Chameau pair after good service,
only to find that these are now manufactured in Morocco and are sadly not
the same quality. The price was of course unaltered.

I called in at the Le Chameau factory near Pont d'Ouilly two summers ago
hoping to get a new pair of wellies. The stock was very poor and I came
away with nothing. :-(

David

Wet, wet, wet David Hill United Kingdom 54 22-12-2012 03:28 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet Dave Hill United Kingdom 3 21-11-2011 11:14 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jadene Mayla Lawns 0 27-06-2011 08:27 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jess Lawns 0 24-04-2011 04:08 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet David Hill United Kingdom 16 06-02-2004 03:49 PM