Old 29-02-2016, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default When can you go out and cut the grass?

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 26/02/2016 18:50, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
I'd go and do it tomorrow, if it was a sensible thing to do. Apart from
the fact that my neighbours would think I'd gone mad. But when's the
earliest you can do it without harming the grass. I don't want the
first cut to be left until i's very too long, as I use a hand push
mower, and if it's too long, I end up with quite a few stalks sticking
up that just refuse to be cut.

Well I wont do it till the mower wont sink up to its axles in the ground
and there will be no frost for a couple of days after cutting.

I tend to agree about the soft ground, but sitting here looking
at the sheep grazing the fields, the grass seems to survive
their cutting quite well, apart from the muddy tracks where the
farmer lays out a layer of pellets for them each day!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 29-02-2016, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/02/2016 18:50, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
I'd go and do it tomorrow, if it was a sensible thing to do. Apart from
the fact that my neighbours would think I'd gone mad. But when's the
earliest you can do it without harming the grass. I don't want the
first cut to be left until i's very too long, as I use a hand push
mower, and if it's too long, I end up with quite a few stalks sticking
up that just refuse to be cut.

Already cut mine in the dry spell last week. It has been growing slowly
through the winter and at 8" long in places I was worried if I left it
any longer the lawnmower wouldn't cope. I got bogged down slightly at
the lowest and wettest part of the lawn (a natural spring in winter).

Rest was OK. The recent hard frosts have given it something to think
about but I don't expect any real harm to come to the lawns. Most of my
neighbours have cut theirs too - in North Yorkshire.

Daffodils are full out as well as some should be late spring flowers.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown