Old 24-09-2006, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Can i cut the new grass

Hi,i re-seeded part of my lawn,the grass has come up really great,my
question,can i mow the top few inches off? it's about 5 to 6 inches
tall where i re-seeded.

Thanks for any help.

By the way im in Wash State if that helps.

Old 26-09-2006, 01:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 00:38:08 GMT, "Travis M."
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:23:37 GMT, "Travis M."
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message

On 24 Sep 2006 14:31:48 -0700, wrote:

Hi,i re-seeded part of my lawn,the grass has come up
really
great,my question,can i mow the top few inches off? it's
about 5
to 6 inches tall where i re-seeded.

Thanks for any help.

By the way im in Wash State if that helps.

Immediately, and bag it because with the damp dew in the
morning it
can rot on the lawn. Never wait so long that it will
remove
more
than two inches of the blade during any mowing.

WRONG. Never remove more than a third. Mulching is the
best.

What's wrong? Newly seeded grass is very moist and tender and
if
left on the surface in cool fall temps can fester diseases.
The OP
said the grass was now 5-6 inches tall. And yes, also never
remove
more than a third of the blade and after the turf is
established
only use a mulching mower. I only use a mulching, rechargeable
electric mower.

It doesn't mater what season it is. Cut one third off with a
mulching mower.

Ya, okay, got the point. My point is that newly planted grass is far
too soft, tender, delicate, etc. and will gunk up and lay on top of
the lawn. It will not mulch down because it has too much moisture in
it.
Old 26-09-2006, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:23:37 GMT, "Travis M."
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message

On 24 Sep 2006 14:31:48 -0700,
wrote:

[...]

What makes you think newly planted grass blades have more
moisture in them than established grass blades?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 27-09-2006, 06:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:23:37 GMT, "Travis M."
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message

On 24 Sep 2006 14:31:48 -0700,
wrote:

Hi,i re-seeded part of my lawn,the grass has come up
really
great,my question,can i mow the top few inches off?

Thank you for the help you gave me.

I cut the top 3 inches off and it looks great,it's very thick and
green,just wish the rest of my lawns looked so good.lol

Thanks again.

Von.

Old 27-09-2006, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 17:13:23 GMT, "Travis M."
wrote:

What makes you think newly planted grass blades have more
moisture in them than established grass blades?

I don't think it, I know it. Newly germinated turf is very tender,
particularly if it is a fescue or rye grass. The first mow is very
important for the establishment of the lawn. If you mow it too short
or long it can rot away in those sections. Do your own experiment if
you want. Plant some seed and tell me if the new grass is as firm and
dry as the established turf.

[IMG] code is On

When can you go out and cut the grass? Dan S. MacAbre United Kingdom 16 29-02-2016 03:19 PM
Cut-Flower Care-How to Make Your Fresh-Cut Flowers Last O My Garden[_2_] Gardening 0 14-09-2007 06:40 AM
[IBC] To cut or not to cut that´s the question. Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 04-11-2004 01:39 PM
To cut or not to cut ? Allen Lai Lawns 4 31-10-2003 11:22 PM
To cut or not to cut .... Allen Lai Lawns 9 12-06-2003 04:56 AM