Old 22-06-2017, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flower identification

The flower below is:

20cm tall (approx)
Not noticeably aromatic

http://nature.opcop.org.uk/eyren/flower2206.jpg

The location is not important as it grew from a packet of Suttons
Wildlife Garden Annual Mix sown in a container. The packet contains
"Cornflower, Corn Marigold, Poppy and other Wild Flowers"

This will be an 'other' then but it seems not to quite fit in with
descriptions in Blamey, Fitter, Fitter (or indeed with the earlier
Fitter, Fitter, Blamey)

Suggestions appreciated. I have two of my own but cannot agree with
myself, hence this post
Image is reduced in size but otherwise unedited so colour etc is 'as
is' on a cloudy but fairly bright day

--
Asha
minnies.opcop.org.uk

Old 22-06-2017, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/06/17 15:48, Asha Santon wrote:
The flower below is:

20cm tall (approx)
Not noticeably aromatic

http://nature.opcop.org.uk/eyren/flower2206.jpg

The location is not important as it grew from a packet of Suttons
Wildlife Garden Annual Mix sown in a container. The packet contains
"Cornflower, Corn Marigold, Poppy and other Wild Flowers"

This will be an 'other' then but it seems not to quite fit in with
descriptions in Blamey, Fitter, Fitter (or indeed with the earlier
Fitter, Fitter, Blamey)

Suggestions appreciated. I have two of my own but cannot agree with
myself, hence this post
Image is reduced in size but otherwise unedited so colour etc is 'as
is' on a cloudy but fairly bright day

Glechoma hederacea (ground ivy)?

--

Jeff
Old 22-06-2017, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Asha Santon wrote:
The flower below is:

20cm tall (approx)
Not noticeably aromatic

http://nature.opcop.org.uk/eyren/flower2206.jpg

The location is not important as it grew from a packet of Suttons
Wildlife Garden Annual Mix sown in a container. The packet contains
"Cornflower, Corn Marigold, Poppy and other Wild Flowers"

This will be an 'other' then but it seems not to quite fit in with
descriptions in Blamey, Fitter, Fitter (or indeed with the earlier
Fitter, Fitter, Blamey)

Suggestions appreciated. I have two of my own but cannot agree with
myself, hence this post
Image is reduced in size but otherwise unedited so colour etc is 'as is'
on a cloudy but fairly bright day

Looks a bit like a red nettle, but the leaves don't seem hairy enough.
Old 22-06-2017, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2017-06-22 14:57:43 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

On 22/06/17 15:48, Asha Santon wrote:
The flower below is:

20cm tall (approx)
Not noticeably aromatic

http://nature.opcop.org.uk/eyren/flower2206.jpg

The location is not important as it grew from a packet of Suttons
Wildlife Garden Annual Mix sown in a container. The packet contains
"Cornflower, Corn Marigold, Poppy and other Wild Flowers"

This will be an 'other' then but it seems not to quite fit in with
descriptions in Blamey, Fitter, Fitter (or indeed with the earlier
Fitter, Fitter, Blamey)

Suggestions appreciated. I have two of my own but cannot agree with
myself, hence this post
Image is reduced in size but otherwise unedited so colour etc is 'as
is' on a cloudy but fairly bright day

Glechoma hederacea (ground ivy)?

Thanks for your response.
That was one of my two options but it is described as pungent while
this is not.
My other option was Cut leaved dead nettle but it's the wrong colour.

--
Asha
minnies.opcop.org.uk

Old 22-06-2017, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2017-06-22 15:00:43 +0000, Dan S. MacAbre said:

Asha Santon wrote:
The flower below is:

20cm tall (approx)
Not noticeably aromatic

http://nature.opcop.org.uk/eyren/flower2206.jpg

The location is not important as it grew from a packet of Suttons
Wildlife Garden Annual Mix sown in a container. The packet contains
"Cornflower, Corn Marigold, Poppy and other Wild Flowers"

This will be an 'other' then but it seems not to quite fit in with
descriptions in Blamey, Fitter, Fitter (or indeed with the earlier
Fitter, Fitter, Blamey)

Suggestions appreciated. I have two of my own but cannot agree with
myself, hence this post
Image is reduced in size but otherwise unedited so colour etc is 'as is'
on a cloudy but fairly bright day

Looks a bit like a red nettle, but the leaves don't seem hairy enough.

Thanks for the response.
Indeed. I thought the Cut-leaved version but wrong colour.
The stem feels slighty rough but is not visibly hairy.
The leaves are, as you say, not very hairy.

--
Asha
minnies.opcop.org.uk

Old 22-06-2017, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/06/2017 15:57, Jeff Layman wrote:
Glechoma hederacea

It's one of the Lamiums
I think Henbit Dead-Nettle. (Lamium amplexicaule)
David @ a now cooler side of Swansea Bay
Old 22-06-2017, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 15:48:46 +0100, Asha Santon wrote:

The flower below is:

20cm tall (approx)
Not noticeably aromatic

http://nature.opcop.org.uk/eyren/flower2206.jpg

Isn't it some sort of dead nettle?

--
Faster, cheaper, quieter than HS2
and built in 5 years;

Old 22-06-2017, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , lid says...

The flower below is:

20cm tall (approx)
Not noticeably aromatic

http://nature.opcop.org.uk/eyren/flower2206.jpg

The location is not important as it grew from a packet of Suttons
Wildlife Garden Annual Mix sown in a container. The packet contains
"Cornflower, Corn Marigold, Poppy and other Wild Flowers"

This will be an 'other' then but it seems not to quite fit in with
descriptions in Blamey, Fitter, Fitter (or indeed with the earlier
Fitter, Fitter, Blamey)

Suggestions appreciated.

Some sort of dead nettle.

Janet
Old 22-06-2017, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Asha Santon wrote:

My other option was Cut leaved dead nettle but it's the wrong colour.

I would have said sweet-nettle, wikip says there's no such thing, but
that's what we called them as kids.

Old 23-06-2017, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2017-06-22 20:57:01 +0000, Andy Burns said:

Asha Santon wrote:

My other option was Cut leaved dead nettle but it's the wrong colour.

I would have said sweet-nettle, wikip says there's no such thing, but
that's what we called them as kids.

I think that was a generic term for most dead-nettles because one could
remove a flower and sip the nectar from it. Wikip is not to be relied
upon for anything really so no loss.

--
Asha
minnies.opcop.org.uk

Old 23-06-2017, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you to everyone who took the trouble to help me.

After reading all responses and further research, the leading candidate is:

Cut-leaved Dead-nettle (Lamium hybridum)

The basis for this is primarily the ruling out of the other candidates.

I was assisted by this ng and by this web site:

http://www.luontoportti.com/suomi/en/

--
Asha
minnies.opcop.org.uk

Old 24-06-2017, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/06/2017 17:01, Asha Santon wrote:
Thank you to everyone who took the trouble to help me.

After reading all responses and further research, the leading candidate is:

Cut-leaved Dead-nettle (Lamium hybridum)

The basis for this is primarily the ruling out of the other candidates.

I was assisted by this ng and by this web site:

http://www.luontoportti.com/suomi/en/

There's a "cut-leaved" variant of red dead-nettle (Lamium purpureum var.
decipiens) to confuse the issue, but I'd go for cut-leaved dead-nettle.
It's definitely one of those two.

--
SRH
Old 24-06-2017, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/06/2017 10:55, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 23/06/2017 17:01, Asha Santon wrote:
Thank you to everyone who took the trouble to help me.

After reading all responses and further research, the leading
candidate is:

Cut-leaved Dead-nettle (Lamium hybridum)

The basis for this is primarily the ruling out of the other candidates.

I was assisted by this ng and by this web site:

http://www.luontoportti.com/suomi/en/

There's a "cut-leaved" variant of red dead-nettle (Lamium purpureum var.
decipiens) to confuse the issue, but I'd go for cut-leaved dead-nettle.
It's definitely one of those two.

Just remember that when you buy these Wild flower mixtures you may be
getting non British seeds in the mix.