Old 01-06-2003, 09:08 AM
gogo

Default compost and recycling

Hi, 2 quick questions:

Monty Don showed in Gardeners' world that you can use cardboard in the
compost heap and that it even help to aerate it. I think it's a greta way of
recycling cardboard, but I was wondering if any type would do, i.e. is there
any danger of ink toxicity for "glossy" coloured cardboard?

A bit O.T. but I always wondered why we are not supposed to put enveloppes
in the paper recycling containers. The only reason I can think of is the
glue on them, but surely a glossy magazine contains as much as an enveloppe?

Many thanks

Gogo

Old 01-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Drakanthus

A bit O.T. but I always wondered why we are not supposed to put enveloppes
in the paper recycling containers. The only reason I can think of is the
glue on them, but surely a glossy magazine contains as much as an

enveloppe?

Many thanks

Gogo

I'm a bit wary what goes into my compost bin now. There are so many
carcinogenic or toxic chemicals used in manufacturing. As the years go by,
more and more chemicals are found to be harmful even in trace quantities.
You just might find out you are adding poison to the soil - as I did. I used
to regularly put waste sawdust into my compost from various jobs involving
pressure treated timber, only to find out later that the active ingredient
is based upon Arsenic. I don't put ANY man made products into my compost
now.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 01-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Mary Fisher

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
A bit O.T. but I always wondered why we are not supposed to put

enveloppes
in the paper recycling containers. The only reason I can think of is the
glue on them, but surely a glossy magazine contains as much as an

enveloppe?

Many thanks

Gogo

Our council says it's the adhesive - perhaps there are different types.

I'm a bit wary what goes into my compost bin now. There are so many
carcinogenic or toxic chemicals used in manufacturing. As the years go by,
more and more chemicals are found to be harmful even in trace quantities.

The trouble is that if you look for almost ANY chemical in almsot ANY item,
including food, you'll find it. That leads to banning of things which have
always had such traces in them and cause no harm.

We can't protect ourselves 100%, wwhy even the air is full of nasties.

Mary

Old 02-06-2003, 03:57 PM
Sue

"Mary Fisher" wrote
"Drakanthus" wrote
A bit O.T. but I always wondered why we are not supposed to put
enveloppes in the paper recycling containers. The only reason I can
think of is the glue on them, snip

Our council says it's the adhesive - perhaps there are different types.

snip

It seems odd if envelope adhesives can be used which people lick to stick,
but you're not supposed to put them in compost.

Sue

Old 02-06-2003, 09:14 PM
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote
"Drakanthus" wrote
A bit O.T. but I always wondered why we are not supposed to put
enveloppes in the paper recycling containers. The only reason I can
think of is the glue on them, snip

Our council says it's the adhesive - perhaps there are different types.

snip

It seems odd if envelope adhesives can be used which people lick to stick,
but you're not supposed to put them in compost.

But most envelopes which come through the door are junk mail and have self
adhesive gums.

Apart from that I'd agree with you 100% - but we're dealing with politicans
here ...

Mary

Sue

Old 02-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

Apart from that I'd agree with you 100% - but we're dealing with politicans
here ...

Make the best use of your politicians - compost them!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:44 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Make the best use of your politicians - compost them!

But put them through the shredder first!
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Chris Norton

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 13:44:42 +0100, "Drakanthus"
wrote:

I'm a bit wary what goes into my compost bin now. There are so many
carcinogenic or toxic chemicals used in manufacturing. As the years go by,
more and more chemicals are found to be harmful even in trace quantities.
You just might find out you are adding poison to the soil - as I did. I used
to regularly put waste sawdust into my compost from various jobs involving
pressure treated timber, only to find out later that the active ingredient
is based upon Arsenic. I don't put ANY man made products into my compost
now.

Just of a related note. Strictly speaking all cutting of timber should
be done before the treatment so if the shavings were from a timber
firm then they *in theory* should be clean. The only commercial outlet
in the uk for wood shavings is the pet business and a little
chipboard. Also, if it was pressure treated it may have been from an
organic based treatment rather than CCA (copper chrome arsenic) as
CCA`s are generally dipped.

I have to agree tho that if your in any doubt about the source of the
shavings do NOT put them in.

Some good news on the horizon is that CCA is being removed from use
comercially as the europeans dont like the arsenic. However, they seem
to like using heavy metals instead so untill it all gets nice and
organic (Roof truss manufacturers use organic as the heavy metals
corrode the plates) then only put shavings that have been in a pet bed
on the compost heap.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 08:04:06 GMT, "gogo"
wrote:

Monty Don showed in Gardeners' world that you can use cardboard in the
compost heap and that it even help to aerate it. I think it's a greta way of
recycling cardboard, but I was wondering if any type would do, i.e. is there
any danger of ink toxicity for "glossy" coloured cardboard?

A bit O.T. but I always wondered why we are not supposed to put enveloppes
in the paper recycling containers. The only reason I can think of is the
glue on them, but surely a glossy magazine contains as much as an enveloppe?

Our local council are just starting a trial of garden waste for
composting AND cardboard. I have bought (!) for 30p each, paper sacks
into which I can put any compostable material along with cardboard
which they say can include cereal packets, ready meal boxes and brown
envelopes.
Therafter we can buy 70litre bags of compost for £2.50
Most of my stuff goes to the allotment, but I cut down a shrub today
and took it all to the tip!!!

Pam in Bristol

Old 03-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Rick McGreal

Pam Moore wrote in
:
Our local council are just starting a trial of garden waste for
composting AND cardboard. I have bought (!) for 30p each, paper sacks
into which I can put any compostable material along with cardboard
which they say can include cereal packets, ready meal boxes and brown
envelopes.

You paid for them?!!

Therafter we can buy 70litre bags of compost for £2.50
Most of my stuff goes to the allotment, but I cut down a shrub today
and took it all to the tip!!!

And yet I can buy 75 litre bags for 2.99 each or 2 for a fiver
All from my local garden centre

Old 03-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Mary Fisher

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

Apart from that I'd agree with you 100% - but we're dealing with

politicans
here ...

Make the best use of your politicians - compost them!

I wish ...

Wistful Mary

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 04-06-2003, 12:32 AM
shannie

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
A bit O.T. but I always wondered why we are not supposed to put

enveloppes
in the paper recycling containers. The only reason I can think of is

the
glue on them, but surely a glossy magazine contains as much as an

enveloppe?

Many thanks

Gogo

Our council says it's the adhesive - perhaps there are different types.

My partner was a postman for 15yrs in the uk and tells me that the snails
are attracted to the glue used on envelopes, by all accounts its like a drug
to them. Postboxes frequently are inhabited by colonies of snails that eat
the glue off the envelopes, I imagine that this may be one of the reasons
envelopes are not permitted in recycling bins because they'd be attracted to
them.
Another possible reason that glossy/shiny paper is not wanted in council
recycling bins is because it's a much more costly method to remove the china
clay from the paper, this clay creates the gloss and is also water repellent
and must be removed before pulping.

Thats my understanding for what it's worth

Shan

Old 04-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Druss

[...]

But isn't it true to say rubarb leaves are poisonous and Green Potatos
contain Oxalyic acid, and various weeds and garden plants contain pretty
nasty chemicals within them, Rue etc, these are all usually placed on the
compost heap.
I confess I do not know how much arsenic garden plants, or veggies might
pick up from the soil, or indeed exactly how much arsenic would be in
treated timber shavings. I do however tend to think that it's not something
I would worry about overly much, simply because the levels are likely to be
so low after all the composting, digging, and growing is done that it's
probably neglible. You'd probably absorb much more heavy metals and
deangerous chemicals from sitting in a traffic jam for 5 minutes than you
could get from the garden veggies.
Also I grow comfrey, specifically to add to waterbutts and compost heaps,
and this is grown because it's roots go down so far that it brings up all
sorts of things from the subsoil, at least that's what I'd been told. Also
partly the reason why green leafy veggies contain lots of calcium.
This is just my opinion of course but then I guess that's partly what this
forums for.

Anyway, In general I think far too much emphasis is placed of reducing
relatively trivial risks when we could be addressing much more serious
problems such as road traffic, and heart disease.

Sorry rant over, such as it was, and no offence meant to anyone.
Duncan

Old 04-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Mary Fisher

"Druss" wrote in message
[...]