Old 23-03-2018, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tough Snowberry :-)

I took a cutting of a snowberry growing by the side of a main road last
year. Even though I covered it with a plastic bag, the leaves fell off
after a few months, leaving a thin stalk. At the end of last year, I
was emptying the pot to put away, and I noticed the stalk had a couple
of short roots at the bottom. Not expecting much, I put it back in
compost and left it in the back garden. Now, against all expectation,
the thing has a couple of small leaves growing.
Old 23-03-2018, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/03/2018 14:18, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
I took a cutting of a snowberry growing by the side of a main road
last year. Even though I covered it with a plastic bag, the leaves
fell off after a few months, leaving a thin stalk. At the end of
last year, I was emptying the pot to put away, and I noticed the
stalk had a couple of short roots at the bottom. Not expecting much,
I put it back in compost and left it in the back garden. Now,
against all expectation, the thing has a couple of small leaves
growing.

Be careful what you wish for it is quite an invasive thug in a small
garden - rather more so than ivy or honeysuckle IME.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 23-03-2018, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:
On 23/03/2018 14:18, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
I took a cutting of a snowberry growing by the side of a main road
last year. Even though I covered it with a plastic bag, the leaves
fell off after a few months, leaving a thin stalk. At the end of
last year, I was emptying the pot to put away, and I noticed the
stalk had a couple of short roots at the bottom. Not expecting much,
I put it back in compost and left it in the back garden. Now,
against all expectation, the thing has a couple of small leaves
growing.

Be careful what you wish for it is quite an invasive thug in a small
garden - rather more so than ivy or honeysuckle IME.

I gathered that, since it is everywhere around here :-) I'll put it
somewhere where it hopefully won't have room to go far.

Snowberry [1/1] Mad Cow Garden Photos 0 12-02-2012 09:31 AM
Snowberry Clearwings Pat Royal Garden Photos 0 03-05-2007 01:29 AM
Snowberry Clearwings Pat Royal Garden Photos 3 28-04-2007 09:01 PM
snowberry-help! Jack Gillespie United Kingdom 2 11-04-2003 08:08 PM
super tough orchids profpam Orchids 3 28-01-2003 01:44 AM