Old 25-05-2018, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mowing - to mulch or not to mulch?

We have three areas of lawn and generate a *lot* of grass cuttings,
disposing of them is always a problem so I'm wondering whether to start
mulching rather than collecting.
What are the downsides and upsides of mulching?
Can mulching be used on a "formal" striped lawn?
Old 25-05-2018, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/05/2018 17:38, wrote:
On 25/05/2018 13:58, Martin Brown wrote:
On 25/05/2018 10:29,
wrote:
We have three areas of lawn and generate a *lot* of grass
cuttings, disposing of them is always a problem so I'm wondering
whether to start mulching rather than collecting.

How much is a lot? I don't have a problem adding them to a hot heap

About 2 acres worth, needing mowing at least once per week.

OK. I'd have expected you to have more problem with it getting hot
enough to smoulder inside then if you build the heap right. I have had
mine turn to white ash inside more than once.

provided that I put a few shrubby prunings in at the same time.
Adding about 1m^3 at a time works for me and the heap goes hot
within 2-3 days.

I haven't thought about the volume, but 1m^3 is probably what we get
from one full mow, before it settles.
I have had it smouldering before now but normally it tops out at
70C.

Is this mostly grass, with a waterproof cover?

When it goes hot it is almost all grass with whatever woody pruning
stuff I want to be rid of mixed in the middle somewhere. I don't cover
it and accept that the top surface won't compost until it gets buried.
No covers although if I have some dead ferns or rhubarb leaves I toss
them on at the start of the season the help keep the heat in.

The trick is to not compact the grass and have enough air space inside
so that it can really get going. I originally seeded mine with Garrotta
compost accelerator but have never needed to since starting it.

It goes hot about 3 days after cutting and smells a bit peculiar of
short chain fatty acids so you want it well away from the house.

I give it a quick turn before adding the next lot a week later. There is
always room by then. Bays are about 2x3m with three of them maturing.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 25-05-2018, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
We have three areas of lawn and generate a *lot* of grass
cuttings, disposing of them is always a problem so I'm wondering
whether to start mulching rather than collecting.

How much is a lot? I don't have a problem adding them to a hot heap

About 2 acres worth, needing mowing at least once per week.

OK. I'd have expected you to have more problem with it getting hot
enough to smoulder inside then if you build the heap right. I have had
mine turn to white ash inside more than once.

provided that I put a few shrubby prunings in at the same time.
Adding about 1m^3 at a time works for me and the heap goes hot
within 2-3 days.

I haven't thought about the volume, but 1m^3 is probably what we get
Â*from one full mow, before it settles.
[...]

Thanks, that's very interesting. We moved here about a year ago so
having this volume of grass clippings is a relatively new experience.
Currently the grass just goes into a huge heap and eventually to the
bonfire - wasteful and environmentally poor.
I recognise that I need to build some composting bays - what do you use
for the walls? railway sleepers, pallets, bales, ... ?
Old 26-05-2018, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

In France I have probably about the same amount of grass as you (around
a couple of acres of cider apple orchard. I am lucky in that I can take
my clippings down to the local council tip where I empty them into a
huge container.

Is there no council in the UK that will do the same thing?

David

Mulch mowing Eco Maintenance Lawns 0 20-03-2013 11:15 AM
To compost/mulch or not to compost/mulch Malcolm United Kingdom 15 03-05-2009 09:19 AM
To Mulch or Not to Mulch Ron H Gardening 6 13-08-2006 09:06 PM
New to Lawn Mowing Darryn Warner United Kingdom 3 14-03-2003 10:20 PM
Mowing the Lawn in February Anthony Wells United Kingdom 7 22-02-2003 08:25 AM