Old 28-05-2018, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Coffee grounds and slugs

Having been reminded that coffee grounds are a folk remedy for deterring
slugs, I looked it up online.

Apparently it is illegal to use any untested product as a chemical
deterrent.

Mulching to add organic content is fine, though.......

Ignoring the above for the moment, has anyone tried this and does it work?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 29-05-2018, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/05/2018 18:46, David wrote:
Having been reminded that coffee grounds are a folk remedy for deterring
slugs, I looked it up online.

Apparently it is illegal to use any untested product as a chemical
deterrent.

Mulching to add organic content is fine, though.......

Ignoring the above for the moment, has anyone tried this and does it work?

Not especially well it is only mildly toxic to them and a bit too soft.
There are other more spikey textures that snails won't cross so easily
like crushed egsshells. My coffee grounds go on the compost heap.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 29-05-2018, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 May 2018 17:46:32 GMT, David wrote:

Having been reminded that coffee grounds are a folk remedy for deterring
slugs,
Ignoring the above for the moment, has anyone tried this and does it work?

Check out the test done by James Wong, (him off the radio and TV)
Conclusion was it in fact it inhabits growth, the coffee plant does
not like compition, in the wild, so it stops other plants thiving
close by.

As for being a slug deterrent, check out you tube which has a vidio of
slug travelling down the edge of a razor bldae, it travels on a bed of
mucus, so notheing sharp is going to stop them, gravel, egg shells,
etc, waste of time. There is another web site that has been running an
experiment on various so called remedys, puts a slug in a ring of the
material and watch if it can cross, nothing stops them. (ash and bran
slows them down )

Also most slugs travel underneath the soil defeating a so called
barrier.

Old 30-05-2018, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/05/2018 22:47, Derek wrote:
On 28 May 2018 17:46:32 GMT, David wrote:

Having been reminded that coffee grounds are a folk remedy for deterring
slugs,
Ignoring the above for the moment, has anyone tried this and does it work?

Check out the test done by James Wong, (him off the radio and TV)
Conclusion was it in fact it inhabits growth, the coffee plant does
not like compition, in the wild, so it stops other plants thiving
close by.

It modifies the pH a bit but I'd be surprised if it did much to slow
growth of most plants - unlike black walnut which through juglone really
does seriously affect competition by neighbouring plants.

Caffeine in coffee is intended by the plant as an insecticide - it so
happens that mammals find it an interesting stimulant. Cocaine and
nicotine are more potent examples with the same intent.

As for being a slug deterrent, check out you tube which has a vidio of
slug travelling down the edge of a razor bldae, it travels on a bed of
mucus, so notheing sharp is going to stop them, gravel, egg shells,
etc, waste of time. There is another web site that has been running an
experiment on various so called remedys, puts a slug in a ring of the
material and watch if it can cross, nothing stops them. (ash and bran
slows them down )

Also most slugs travel underneath the soil defeating a so called
barrier.

Some do. They don't get far in our summer baked clay soil though.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 30-05-2018, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 May 2018 17:46:32 GMT, David wrote:
Having been reminded that coffee grounds are a folk remedy for deterring
slugs, I looked it up online.

Apparently it is illegal to use any untested product as a chemical
deterrent.

Mulching to add organic content is fine, though.......

Ignoring the above for the moment, has anyone tried this and does it work?

There has been some research into it's use or more correctly the use
of Caffeine. Turns out it is a good deterrent but in stronger doses
than in grounds.

Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-06-2018, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Derek wrote:

There is another web site that has been running an
experiment on various so called remedys, puts a slug in a ring of the
material and watch if it can cross, nothing stops them. (ash and bran
slows them down )

I remember watching a slug slither its way happily over the
copper tape I had put on a large plantpot. :-(

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 15:53:29 +0200, Martin wrote:

as opposed to sliding down the razor blade of life. :-)

Curse you!
Now I'll have that song running around my head, right after "We will
all go together when we go."

---

Old 03-06-2018, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/06/2018 09:01, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Derek wrote:

There is another web site that has been running an
experiment on various so called remedys, puts a slug in a ring of the
material and watch if it can cross, nothing stops them. (ash and bran
slows them down )

I remember watching a slug slither its way happily over the
copper tape I had put on a large plantpot. :-(

Some of the tape you can buy is plastic film covered copper. If the
copper stays a copper colour then it either is coated with a plastic
film or has been lacquered. Leave any uncoated copper outdoors and it
will discolour and start going green very quickly.

I suspect that slugs and not stopped by traveling over smooth plastic or
lacquer.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan_m wrote:

On 02/06/2018 09:01, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I remember watching a slug slither its way happily over the
copper tape I had put on a large plantpot. :-(

Some of the tape you can buy is plastic film covered copper. If the
copper stays a copper colour then it either is coated with a plastic
film or has been lacquered. Leave any uncoated copper outdoors and it
will discolour and start going green very quickly.

I suspect that slugs and not stopped by traveling over smooth plastic or
lacquer.

Without arguing with your point, my tape is clearly weathered,
and has no plastic covering, having been sold for this precise
purpose.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 09:01:37 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Derek wrote:

There is another web site that has been running an
experiment on various so called remedys, puts a slug in a ring of the
material and watch if it can cross, nothing stops them. (ash and bran
slows them down )

I remember watching a slug slither its way happily over the
copper tape I had put on a large plantpot. :-(

Chris

The results of this study will be interesting

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44357663

Indeed it will. I gave wool pellets a trial, and my slugs treated
them like a comfy pair of socks - no evident deterrent effect.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Derek wrote:

There is another web site that has been running an
experiment on various so called remedys, puts a slug in a ring of the
material and watch if it can cross, nothing stops them. (ash and bran
slows them down )

I remember watching a slug slither its way happily over the
copper tape I had put on a large plantpot. :-(

Chris

The results of this study will be interesting

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44357663

Pity they aren't including wood ash in the trial. When we had a
woodstove I used to put a circle of the fine ash round individual
brassicas and in rows between the strawberries, which seemed to work
well.

Janet
Old 05-06-2018, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 05 Jun 2018 07:03:51 +0100, Chris Hogg posted:

wrote:

Derek wrote:

There is another web site that has been running an
experiment on various so called remedys, puts a slug in a ring of the
material and watch if it can cross, nothing stops them. (ash and bran
slows them down )

I remember watching a slug slither its way happily over the
copper tape I had put on a large plantpot. :-(

Chris

The results of this study will be interesting

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44357663

I am intrigued that they say they will check the plants once a week. In
my garden, without slug pellets, in two days the plants would be gone.

But I too am interested in their results as I would much rather not use
the pellets if there are effective alternatives.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

It would be nice if they tested nematodes as a way of controlling slugs too.

I did try them once, with little effect, though the requirements
to be met for their application made it difficult. For instance,
as I mulch there is little bare earth on which to operate.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 09:53:53 +0100, Janet wrote:

Derek wrote:

There is another web site that has been running an
experiment on various so called remedys, puts a slug in a ring of the
material and watch if it can cross, nothing stops them. (ash and bran
slows them down )

Pity they aren't including wood ash in the trial.
Janet

Well they did, and it was not a succes, after all the slug rides on
mucus, so most materials willnot stop them

Derek