Old 12-05-2003, 06:08 PM
robert

Default chelsea flower show

hello,
I have just won a ticket to Chelsea,as I have never been before what is it
like?can you buy plants, what is the best times to go,how much is the food
can I take my own food? thanks for any help,
robert.

Old 12-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Natalie

"robert" wrote in message
hello,
I have just won a ticket to Chelsea,as I have never been before what is it
like?can you buy plants, what is the best times to go,how much is the

food
can I take my own food? thanks for any help,
robert.

Congratulations!

There are no plants for sale but you will find plenty of seed and gardening
accessories. Lots of show gardens outside and stands inside the marquees.

I'd go as early in the week as possible and as early in the day...be
prepared for it to be VERY crowded!

Yes...you can take your own food and I would suggest it a good idea as
on-site catering will be expensive.

Have a good time!

Natalie

Old 12-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Natalie
writes

"robert" wrote in message
hello,
I have just won a ticket to Chelsea,as I have never been before what is it
like?can you buy plants, what is the best times to go,how much is the

food
can I take my own food? thanks for any help,
robert.

Congratulations!

There are no plants for sale but you will find plenty of seed and gardening
accessories. Lots of show gardens outside and stands inside the marquees.

I'd go as early in the week as possible and as early in the day...be
prepared for it to be VERY crowded!

Yes...you can take your own food and I would suggest it a good idea as
on-site catering will be expensive.

Go early or stay late - a lot of people have to travel to get there.

Wear comfortable shoes.

Take a lot to drink - you can get very thirsty.

Don't worry about finding your way there - get to Sloane Square and
follow the crowds.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 12-05-2003, 06:08 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Natalie
writes
There are no plants for sale

unless you go on the last day and wait until the very end - then
(almost) everything is for sale

--
dave @ stejonda

?why do Americans chatter during live theatre?
Old 12-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Rod

"robert" wrote in message ...
hello,
I have just won a ticket to Chelsea,as I have never been before what is it
like?can you buy plants, what is the best times to go,how much is the food
can I take my own food? thanks for any help,
robert.

The exhibitors take orders for plants to be delivered later. Do take your own food unless you like being ripped off.

Rod

Old 12-05-2003, 07:56 PM
JennyC

"Natalie" wrote
"robert" wrote
I have just won a ticket to Chelsea,as I have never been before

what is it
like?can you buy plants, what is the best times to go,how much is

the
food
can I take my own food? thanks for any help,
robert.

Congratulations!

There are no plants for sale but you will find plenty of seed and

gardening
accessories. Lots of show gardens outside and stands inside the

marquees.

I'd go as early in the week as possible and as early in the day...be
prepared for it to be VERY crowded!

Yes...you can take your own food and I would suggest it a good idea

as
on-site catering will be expensive.
Have a good time! Natalie

Take a folding chair to sit on to eat your sandwiches. We ended up
sitting in the curb last time I went :~(
Jenny

Old 12-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "robert" contains these words:

hello,
I have just won a ticket to Chelsea,as I have never been before what is it
like?can you buy plants, what is the best times to go,how much is the food
can I take my own food? thanks for any help,

Lucky you. It's wonderful, but very busy, so arrive as early as
possible..preferably by public transport (Sloane Sq tube) as there's no
nearby parking. More top quality plants, gardens,fruit, veg, flowers,
advice, displays, and garden equipment, buildings, machinery, furniture,
pots, decorations, books, etc etc than you could dream of. If you have
the stamina, you could spend an entire day there and still not see
everything :-). I used to do the tents first before they got jam packed.

Food is expensive, and queues long, so take your own sarnies and drink
and sit by the bandstand to rest and enjoy the music, while the very
busy mid-day period calms down. Wear comfy shoes, and take a bag to hold
a pencil and notebook, and all the freebies, catalogues and useful
leaflets you're going to collect. It can be very hot in the large tents,
and you'll be walking a lot outside, so wear cool comfy clothes, very
comfortable shoes (preferably not sandals in case your feet get
trampled), and carry in your bag a light raincoat if rain looks
possible.

At Chelsea, unlike other shows, there are no direct plant sales but
you can buy plants from the displays at the very end of the very last
day. A mad scrum and the days of getting a rare plant at a near giveaway
price are long past; so given a choice of days I'd rather go to an
earlier one when the displays will be at their very best. However, you
can place an order for almost anything at the show, often at a discount.

Leave no later than half an hour before closing time, before crowds
swamp the tube.

Have fun :-) My favourite part is the outside show gardens, don't miss
those.

Janet.

Old 12-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Kay Easton

In article , JennyC
writes

Take a folding chair to sit on to eat your sandwiches. We ended up
sitting in the curb last time I went :~(

But don't take anything you don't want to carry around all day with you
;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 12-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Take a folding chair to sit on to eat your sandwiches. We ended up
sitting in the curb last time I went :~(

Duh, nobody would want to lug a folding chair round all day in the
crowds, and there's nowhere to leave stuff. There is plenty of free
seating all around the bandstand..or sit on a plastic bag on the grass
there.

Janet

Old 13-05-2003, 12:32 AM
david

"..........Take a folding chair to sit on to eat your sandwiches. We ended
up sitting in the curb last time I went :~(........"

Don't bother, if you head for Ranleigh Gardens, Where the bandstand is,
(Cross the avenue with all the trade stands and go up the slope into the
trees, [follow the sound of music] that is with the marquees behind you) you
should have no trouble getting a seat.
I haven't failed to get one there in over 25 years of going to the show,
just go there around mid day, or about 2pm.
As for the show, if you are driving try to get to the car park in Battersea
park by 7am, you can then unwind, have a cup of coffee and something to eat,
(les to carry round with you) then leave for the showground about 7.30 ish
so you are in the queue to get in before it gets to big, that way you have
an hour or so before the place gets to crowded, so try to see the outside
gardens first.
And finally Enjoy yourself.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 14-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Pete The Gardener

On Tue, 13 May 2003 12:12:06 +0100, "robert"
wrote:

hi every one again,
just to say thanks to you all for your help,I won the tickets on the local
radio,I had a shock to see how much the tickets was to buy!
I should have about 8 hours at the show as I have to travel 170 miles by
train to get to London,I have been to GW live at the nec a few times,I will
write a report when I get back.

Which day are you going? I'll be there on the wednesday if anyone
wants to try to meet up.

--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.