Old 13-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Charles Thorpe

Default Besoms

Hi all,

This might sound a daft question, but where can I buy a besom? You know, the
traditional witches broom stick, a broom handle with long twigs fastened on
the end. My old one has disintegrated and I find they are the best thing
for sweeping muck of the lawn and flags.

I'm near Ipswich in Suffolk, tried a couple of garden centres and
ironmongers but just got looks that said "what a strange chap"!

TIA
--
Regards,
Charles

cthorp at globalnet dot co dot uk
"I really cannot tolerate intolerance"
Old 13-05-2003, 02:32 PM

I'm near Ipswich in Suffolk, tried a couple of garden centres and
ironmongers but just got looks that said "what a strange chap"!

Try the DIY stores, such as Focus on Martlesham Heath, or the big B&Q store
near Asda.

- h

Old 13-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Charles Thorpe writes:
| Hi all,
|
| This might sound a daft question, but where can I buy a besom? You know, the
| traditional witches broom stick, a broom handle with long twigs fastened on
| the end. My old one has disintegrated and I find they are the best thing
| for sweeping muck of the lawn and flags.
|
| I'm near Ipswich in Suffolk, tried a couple of garden centres and
| ironmongers but just got looks that said "what a strange chap"!

You might have to make one. I am having to make an increasing
number of standard items, because you can't buy them any longer.

My next project may have to be a traditional teapot - I bought
what was almost the last one in Cambridge :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Tim

Old 13-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Sydney

Charles,

I regularly visit 'Jacks' in Colchester - a very old fashioned hardware and
thingy - me - bob shop.
They are located off a road at the east hill end of the High Street. Yuo
can't miss it - loads of stuff hanging from the gables of the building.

Jacks Famous Supplies Ltd
St. Nicholas St
Colchester Essex
CO1 1LB

Tel: 01206 572581

http://www.multimap.com/clients/gif....height=300&ico
n=dot&pc=CO11LB&scale=25000&panx=0&pany=0

Last time I visited (4 weeks ago) - they were selling these (had one hanging
up outside).

Hope this helps

Sydney

Old 13-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Graham Anstey

On Tue, 13 May 2003 14:22:12 +0100, Charles Thorpe
wrote:

This might sound a daft question, but where can I buy a besom?

If you have any managed woods in the area, then ask the owner/worker.
Besoms are one of the products made from coppice thinnings. If you can
find one it will probably be made to a better standard, from local
sustainable woodland, and benefit in a small way the local economy.

I'd make you one but I'm in the westcountry.

HTH
Graham

Old 13-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Charles Thorpe

On Tuesday 13 May 2003 14:36, Nick Maclaren wrote article
in uk.rec.gardening:

You might have to make one. I am having to make an increasing
number of standard items, because you can't buy them any longer.

My next project may have to be a traditional teapot - I bought
what was almost the last one in Cambridge :-(

Ouch, I'm also in need of a teapot - indispensable, you can't make a decent
brew without one and I live off the stuff!

I remember my grandmother had one with two spouts for filling two cups at
once. Worked OK till you tried to use different size cups.

Old 13-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Charles Thorpe

On Tuesday 13 May 2003 15:35, Sydney wrote article
in uk.rec.gardening:

I regularly visit 'Jacks' in Colchester - a very old fashioned hardware
and
thingy - me - bob shop.
Last time I visited (4 weeks ago) - they were selling these (had one
hanging up outside).

Thanks, I'll have a trip to Colchester and give them a try.

Old 14-05-2003, 06:32 AM
JennyC

"Charles Thorpe" wrote
This might sound a daft question, but where can I buy a besom? You

know, the
traditional witches broom stick, a broom handle with long twigs

fastened on
the end. My old one has disintegrated and I find they are the best

thing
for sweeping muck of the lawn and flags.

I'm near Ipswich in Suffolk, tried a couple of garden centres and
ironmongers but just got looks that said "what a strange chap"!
Regards, Charles

There seems to be a chap who still akes them...........but he's not in
Suffolk :
http://www.thisisryedale.co.uk/ryeda...9/ryedale_feat
ures_countryside111ZM.html

Or make your own :~)
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/...956/besom.html
http://www.paganism.com/ag/crafts/besom.html

Jenny

Old 14-05-2003, 07:08 AM
anton

Charles Thorpe wrote in message ...
On Tuesday 13 May 2003 15:35, Sydney wrote article
in uk.rec.gardening:

I regularly visit 'Jacks' in Colchester - a very old fashioned hardware
and
thingy - me - bob shop.
Last time I visited (4 weeks ago) - they were selling these (had one
hanging up outside).

Thanks, I'll have a trip to Colchester and give them a try.

Generally known as 'Cheapjacks' but in a nice way, not a
rude way. They're opposite the town centre entrance to
Castle Park, which contains the (originally Roman) castle
with which the Romans tried to persuade the local hard boys
to opt for a bit of Pax Romana. It failed to impress one
or two of the more excitable ladies of the region, though,
and got burnt by Boudicca.

It's also the castle from which Humpty Dumpty fell, btw.

--
Anton

Old 14-05-2003, 07:44 AM
JennyC

"anton" wrote

Colchester

snipped

It's also the castle from which Humpty Dumpty fell, btw.
Anton

Thank God for URG - all this wonderful snippets of totally useless
info :~))
Thanks Anton
Jenny

Old 14-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Sue

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
Thanks very much. That is useful. Cambridge has suffered badly
from the replacement of almost all useful shops by ones that sell
high margin, trendy rubbish.

But there're so many high margin trendy people there now. They have needs
too.

Sue