Old 17-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Bigjon

Default Pruning Robinia

We have a Robinia pseudocarpus frisia which suffered badly during the
Winter. Two thirds of it died and it looks terrible. Can we prune it
*really* hard, or will it kill it ?
--
\\(º`¿´º)//
Old 17-05-2003, 05:44 PM
bnd777

You and me both ,........main part of the tree is fine but there are several
branches that are dead

Old 17-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Emrys Davies

'Bigjon',

Mine too was damaged by the gales and because I could not do much with
it I put it on the tip. It was a big tree and I was very sorry to lose
it.

It appears that yours is beyond redemption and I don't think that
pruning will help very much. It should not kill it and will probably
force new shoots to develop but it will always tend to be unsightly and
not worth the hassle.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 17-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Bigjon" wrote in message ...
We have a Robinia pseudocarpus frisia which suffered badly during the
Winter. Two thirds of it died and it looks terrible. Can we prune it
*really* hard, or will it kill it ?

Yes you can prune hard, best to prune it to a good basic shape again and let
the tree take it from there.
I've cut some big branches off mine (it's R.p. "Tortuosa") and it makes no
difference to the tree, indeed it seems to lose branched naturally. It's
covered in blossom again this year and will look stunning in a week or so if
this weather doesn't knock it all off.
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 18-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Pete The Gardener

On Sat, 17 May 2003 17:08:17 +0100, Bigjon
wrote:

We have a Robinia pseudocarpus frisia which suffered badly during the
Winter. Two thirds of it died and it looks terrible. Can we prune it
*really* hard, or will it kill it ?

Robinia pseudoacacia 'Frisia' has an anoying habit of dying back, or
even dying altogether. It can be pruned heavily but you should be
aware that after they reach 15 years or so they tend to become
unstable, with frequent troubles around the base. We've lost about 6
or 8 in the last few years and are expecting to lose the rest over the
next few years. We don't plant them any more because of this.

--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

Old 18-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Bigjon

In a fit of excitement Pete The Gardener uttered:

wrote:

We have a Robinia pseudocarpus frisia which suffered badly during the
Winter. Two thirds of it died and it looks terrible. Can we prune it
*really* hard, or will it kill it ?

Robinia pseudoacacia 'Frisia' has an anoying habit of dying back, or
even dying altogether. It can be pruned heavily but you should be
aware that after they reach 15 years or so they tend to become
unstable, with frequent troubles around the base. We've lost about 6
or 8 in the last few years and are expecting to lose the rest over the
next few years. We don't plant them any more because of this.

Ok, we did the dirty, and cut the whole crown off, leaving one good shoot
to grow from the bare trunk. We will be sorry to lose it, but it was a
disaster, so it's kill or cure. Thanks for the info everybody !!

--
\\(º`¿´º)//
It's probably on http://support.microsoft.com/ somewhere....
Old 18-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Pete The Gardener" wrote in message

Robinia pseudoacacia 'Frisia' has an anoying habit of dying back, or
even dying altogether. It can be pruned heavily but you should be
aware that after they reach 15 years or so they tend to become
unstable, with frequent troubles around the base. We've lost about 6
or 8 in the last few years and are expecting to lose the rest over the
next few years. We don't plant them any more because of this.

Is it die off of the roots, or stem rot causing this as I haven't noticed
any problems with our tree and it's well over 15 years old. However it's not
"Frisia" but "Tortuosa" with normal coloured leaves.
At least mine flowers well, I've never seen a Frisia flower yet.
Do they flower?

Old 18-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Pete The Gardener

On Sun, 18 May 2003 15:47:46 +0100, "Sue & Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Is it die off of the roots, or stem rot causing this as I haven't noticed
any problems with our tree and it's well over 15 years old. However it's not
"Frisia" but "Tortuosa" with normal coloured leaves.

We've had several different problems, though they were all butt/root
related. As far as I know it's specific to 'Frisia' so hopefully you
wont have the same problems.

At least mine flowers well, I've never seen a Frisia flower yet.
Do they flower?

They do, though they don't show up as well with the yellow foliage and
they're less prolific.