Old 20-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Jeffery

Default Pruning Robinia / Bob

Hello,
I was interested in your Robinia Tortuosa Bob. You mentioned that it would
be covered in flower again this year. I have one in my front garden.
Lovely thing but was told when I bought it that it would not flower. True
too. It gets some buds which then fall off. As it is now about 10 years
old is it one of those things which you have to wait decades for flower or
are you just the lucky one?

Incidentally I prune mine slightly each year removing those branches which
are in danger of poking an eye out. This has only made it grow better!

--
Best wishes,
Jeffery.

if
this weather doesn't knock it all off.
--
Bob

Old 20-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Jeffery" wrote in message
I was interested in your Robinia Tortuosa Bob. You mentioned that it

would
be covered in flower again this year. I have one in my front garden.
Lovely thing but was told when I bought it that it would not flower. True
too. It gets some buds which then fall off. As it is now about 10 years
old is it one of those things which you have to wait decades for flower or
are you just the lucky one?

Incidentally I prune mine slightly each year removing those branches which
are in danger of poking an eye out. This has only made it grow better!

Ours is about 15 years old, perhaps older (I can't remember) and as tall as
our house. Like your's, it didn't flower properly until 3 years ago when it
was a good show, nice sweet perfume too. The next season was even better and
it set lots of seed then last year not much at all, probably wore itself out
the previous year. This year it's back to it's old self again.
Over the years I have pruned off all the lower branches so our's has a bare
6ft+ trunk before the decent branches start.

This wind is knocking a lot of blossom off though. :-(

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 21-05-2003, 09:09 AM
Jeffery

Thanks Bob, I'll have to be patient.

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Jeffery" wrote in message
[...]

VOTE! - AUK awards ballot for April/May 2009 Boib Larter winsclueless noobie and Scott Salberg skins back Bob's foreskin and has a smeglunch in Bob's honor. Doc Dice Gardening 2 15-06-2009 07:21 PM
Mop top robinia problem Steve Australia 5 29-05-2006 08:21 AM
Robinia (casque rouge) Still hibernating rick osborn About GardenBanter 2 07-11-2005 10:04 AM
Pruning Robinia Bigjon United Kingdom 7 18-05-2003 04:20 PM
Coppicing a Robinia alwynne mackie Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:35 AM