Old 17-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Newbie Gardener

Default What can I grow in my cracks?

The dandelions seem to thrive there but are there any other plants which would
be happy with so little soil?

Thankyou
Lorraine
Old 17-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Drakanthus

The dandelions seem to thrive there but are there any other plants which
would
be happy with so little soil?

Thankyou
Lorraine

Depending upon the frequency with which your "cracks" are trodden on, some
thymes can be good in such situations and release an aroma when trodden on.
If the plants are unlikely to be trodden on, there are a number of alpines
that grow with little soil provided they are kept fairly dry - houseleeks
for example - I push these into cracks in the mortar of a stone wall
bordering our garden - they thrive there with no soil at all.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 17-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Liz

Newbie Gardener wrote in message
The dandelions seem to thrive there but are there any other plants which

would
be happy with so little soil?

Thankyou
Lorraine

Are your cracks in paving or walls? In shade or sun? You have to pick the
plant to suit the crack.

Liz

Old 18-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , R
writes
I saw a nice herb in my local garden centre that is ideal for paving
cracks. Its called Corsican Mint and smells nice when trodden on.

Is that also called Mentha?
If so, it will spread everywhere and it is so tiny it is difficult to
weed out - a bit like an aromatic MYOB
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 18-05-2003, 11:08 AM
William Tasso

R wrote:
I saw a nice herb in my local garden centre that is ideal for paving
cracks. Its called Corsican Mint and smells nice when trodden on.

What garden centre? all those near me just return a blank stare when I
enquire.

--
William Tasso

Old 18-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Gyve Turquoise

"Newbie Gardener" wrote in message
The dandelions seem to thrive there but are there any other plants which

would
be happy with so little soil?

There is a house near me where they grow pansies in the paving cracks
outside the front wall every year. The plants actually get quite big.

Old 18-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Gyve Turquoise

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
The dandelions seem to thrive there but are there any other plants which

would
be happy with so little soil?

Thankyou
Lorraine

Depending upon the frequency with which your "cracks" are trodden on, some
thymes can be good in such situations

I think these are only good some thymes.

Old 18-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Natalie

"Newbie Gardener" wrote in message
The dandelions seem to thrive there but are there any other plants which

would
be happy with so little soil?

Thankyou
Lorraine

You can try growing some small leaved sedems and other small leaved alpines.

I tend to have more success with stuff that self seeds than anything I plant
;-)

Natalie

Old 18-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Andy

On Sun, 18 May 2003 11:09:25 +0100, "William Tasso"
wrote:

R wrote:
I saw a nice herb in my local garden centre that is ideal for paving
cracks. Its called Corsican Mint and smells nice when trodden on.

What garden centre? all those near me just return a blank stare when I
enquire.

I got mine at the local market for a couple of quid. If you don't
find any by september - by which time mine will have spread about a
bit - mail me and I'll put some in the post.

Cost yer a donation to Amnesty International equivalent to the
postage.

Andy

Old 18-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Glenda Young

I saw a nice herb in my local garden centre that is ideal for paving
cracks. Its called Corsican Mint and smells nice when trodden on.

It has the most gorgeous smell, fabulous scent.

What garden centre? all those near me just return a blank stare when I
enquire.

We got ours from the Alexandra Palace garden centre in N. London.

Old 18-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On 17 May 2003 17:40:09 GMT, Newbie Gardener wrote:

The dandelions seem to thrive there but are there any other plants which would
be happy with so little soil?

I recommend Nierembergia rivularis. Hose out some cracks, then
drop short lengths of the root into each one and wait. Ideal
conditions for this plant that is distinctly unhappy in the open
garden.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada