Old 19-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Steve Harris

Default Bamboo tall but not invasive

Consider Kerria Japonica instead. Grows to about 6', spreads slowly,
nice yellow flowers. Cheap

Old 19-05-2003, 10:57 AM
ged hickman

Some good advice from all (apart from the pampass grass). I am going to get
a clump form and put it in the old water tank buried in the ground

"ged hickman" wrote in message
I would like to plant bamboo as a feature in front of a 6ft high fence at
the back of a border.
Amongst my, perhaps unachievable, wishlists are;
Readily available
I don't want to pay the earth
I'd like it two meters or so high
I would like a non-invasive form
Preferably pretty as well

Any ideas or suggestion most welcome

cheers
Ged

Old 19-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Chris Stewart

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 May 2003 16:47:40 +0100, "ged hickman"
wrote:

I would like to plant bamboo as a feature in front of a 6ft high fence at
the back of a border.
Amongst my, perhaps unachievable, wishlists are;
Readily available
I don't want to pay the earth
I'd like it two meters or so high
I would like a non-invasive form
Preferably pretty as well

Yes there ARE non-invasive bamboos.
Mine was bought at Wisley 15 years ago labelled Phyllostachys nigra.
It is phyllostachys but not nigra.
It took until last year to need splitting as the clump was about 3
feet across.
What you must Not buy is a spreading one. Make sure it is clump
forming.
Google gave me http://www.thescottishbamboonursery.co.uk/home.htm
which has a good selection and under "search" you will find them well
categorised.

Pam in Bristol

The Scottish Bamboo Nursery has a very nice "No Pandas beyond this point"
sign on the road up to the nursery! Sure enough I didn't see any - didn't
know they could read.

Chris S

Old 19-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sun, 18 May 2003 15:55:09 GMT, "redclay"
wrote:

ged hickman wrote in message
I would like to plant bamboo as a feature in front of a 6ft high fence at
the back of a border.
Amongst my, perhaps unachievable, wishlists are;
Readily available
I don't want to pay the earth
I'd like it two meters or so high
I would like a non-invasive form
Preferably pretty as well

Non invasive bamboo is just like the politicians that want to and, if
elected, will cut both government spending and size; they do not exist.
Find somethng else.

Bamboos are very shallow rooted, I believe. I've seen clumps of
invasive types contained by excavating a trench around them, about a
spit deep. You have to maintain it though, or they'll escape. An
alternative might be a small raised bed, say 8 - 12 inches above the
surroundings. Or even, plant them in a half-barrel and sink it. Can't
offer any guarantees though.

I don't think they're all invasive. Try
http://www.devondorsetbamboo.com/home.htm

--
Chris

Old 19-05-2003, 10:44 PM
bnd777

Good for you ........dont try to buy a big bamboo plant at a high price buy
a smaller one ......they grow fast anyway