Old 19-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Andy Kelly

Default Advice & ides sought

I'd appreciate any ideas that I could put into action with this plot in my
garden:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andy.kelly/garden.jpg

It is approx 1.5m x 13m and currently has 5 tree stumps embedded in it -
somebody is coming around this weekend to get rid of them for me. The fence
belongs to my neighbours.

I'll readily admit that I'm not into gardening and not particularly
imaginative but have decided that I should do something with this plot as
it's been getting worse for the last 2 years. We put a "pond" at the near
end for our son last year (actually a washing up bowl, now full of
tadpoles!) and would consider putting a proper pond in there - not too big,
though.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, especially those with a low
maintenance factor :-)

Andy Kelly

Old 19-05-2003, 09:44 PM
martin

On Mon, 19 May 2003 21:30:54 +0100, "Andy Kelly"
wrote:

I'd appreciate any ideas that I could put into action with this plot in my
garden:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andy.kelly/garden.jpg

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, especially those with a low
maintenance factor :-)

A Taj Mahal type reflecting lake for the garage?
--
martin
Old 19-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Andy Kelly

wrote:

I'd appreciate any ideas that I could put into action with this plot in

my
garden:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andy.kelly/garden.jpg

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, especially those with a low
maintenance factor :-)

A Taj Mahal type reflecting lake for the garage?
--
martin

lol

Hopefully that eyesore will be going soon as well. I took the car porch
(about 10 ft high) down a couple of years ago and instantly endeared myself
to my new neighbours. After 4 years I'm beginning to wonder why we bought
this bl**dy house which was owned by Mr Bodgit.

Andy

Old 19-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Mike

In article , Andy
Kelly writes

After 4 years I'm beginning to wonder why we bought
this bl**dy house which was owned by Mr Bodgit.

And in 1986, thanks to Maggie Thatcher and her destruction of Great
Britain's Industrial Business, I lost everything, beautiful big house
out in the country as well. (Yes I know I should not have put it up as
security, but it seemed a good idea at the time. Wonderful thing
hindsight). I was 'just' able to start again and I too got a house which
was owned by a Mr Bodgit. A dreadful house, a lot to do to it and a
thumping great big mortgage 'again' at the age of 50. (When we went down
I actually signed on, on my 50th birthday!!) 'Stay a while to
consolidate your assets' was my Accountant's advice :-)))

This year, we have completed the final stage of refurbishment. New
windows all round, new kitchen (the old one is a garden room with double
doors out onto a sunny patio) and it is all paid for now, mortgage
finished.

So your bl**dy house 'can' be turned into something nice. BTW, your
garden looks a treat compared to what was left for us. 6 kids, 2 dogs
Him above knows how many cats;-)

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Old 19-05-2003, 10:32 PM
hayley

how about a gravel garden with a pond/water feature in it?
Hayley

Old 19-05-2003, 10:32 PM
martin

On Mon, 19 May 2003 22:23:38 +0100, "hayley"
wrote:

how about a gravel garden with a pond/water feature in it?

how about a terraced vineyard?
--
martin
Old 19-05-2003, 10:32 PM
bnd777

Be sure to remove the tree roots along with the stumps
If it was my garden I would remove that central path and creat some form of
a round design as this would give width and attractiveness to the garden

Theres a wealth of books with design ideas in most Book shops its all a
question of what appeals to you and how much you can afford to spend and how
much work you can put into it

Old 20-05-2003, 08:21 PM
Zizz

"Andy Kelly" wrote in message
[...]

It'll be hard work at first but I'd recomend treating the fence and digging
in loads of well rotted manure first.
Low maintenance tends to mean gravel.
Do you want to keep the path?
I'd think of a theme - colour, scent what time of year do you want it at
it's best etc.
Ttake a walk around your area and see what other people are growing that you
like, even ask them if they're about!
Check out Garden News weekly garden magazine as they have a section on
garden design.