Old 23-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Chris Norton

Default Allotment Prices

Good morning all,

Just wondering what allotment prices are like around the country.

Here in Boston, Lincs it`s a very reasonable £13.00 a year for a 10m x
30m plot. How big that is in rods I have no idea.

As fair as I`m concerned one reasonable amount of Strawberries will
make me that up. Let alone the chance of a good crop of Asparagus.

There`s two crops that will cost vertually nothing to grow apart from
a bit of weeding.

Looking forward to another weekend of digging.
Old 23-05-2003, 10:57 AM
Paul D.Smith

I believe in Enfield, North London, it's about 60.00 and the council are
trying to double this.

Paul DS.

Old 23-05-2003, 11:09 AM
Jim W

Chris Norton wrote:

Good morning all,

Just wondering what allotment prices are like around the country.

Here in Boston, Lincs it`s a very reasonable £13.00 a year for a 10m x
30m plot. How big that is in rods I have no idea.

As fair as I`m concerned one reasonable amount of Strawberries will
make me that up. Let alone the chance of a good crop of Asparagus.

There`s two crops that will cost vertually nothing to grow apart from
a bit of weeding.

Looking forward to another weekend of digging.

Here we go again!-)

25 quid here for 4 poles (rods) including rent and water according to my
last bill.

Take a look at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...48dee502f8492&
seekm=acb03c%24n55%241%40news7.svr.pol.co.uk#link1

as this topic was covered in that thread
1 rod is 272.251 sq ft or 10.76391042 sq metres.
//
Jim
Old 23-05-2003, 12:08 PM
jane

On Fri, 23 May 2003 11:03:09 +0100,
(Jim W) wrote:

~Chris Norton wrote:
~
~ Good morning all,
~
[...]
~//
~Jim

So it was - I wasn't an urgler then however, and so I didn't get the
chance to chip in...
Here in Chesham it's I think £1.75 per pole, with typical plots of 10
poles.
I'm supposed to have (and am charged for) 5 poles, but it measures in
at 53'x23' which is 4.5 poles (48.2sq m using the above conversion).
This includes standpiped water with a prohibition on watering directly
using a hose. This is to prevent folk from leaving sprinklers on for
hours/overnight. We can however fill up our waterbutts using a hose,
so most of us do this.

You've got 27.8 rods so the equivalent at our prices would be about 50
quid. (That's a biiiig plot!)

Just makes me see how good value mine is. I reckon they're charging
inner city folks rent to compensate for them not selling it to
builders at horrendous profit.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove onmaps (nospam backwards!) from replies, thanks!
Old 23-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 23 May 2003 10:33:47 +0100, Chris Norton
wrote:

Just wondering what allotment prices are like around the country.

I have been paying £6 a year for 13 years for a standard plot.

Pam in Bristol

Old 23-05-2003, 02:44 PM
John Pearce

Most expensive so far..... £78 for 6 rods (72 sq. yds.) in Wandsworth,
London.

Nice though as it backs onto Wimbledon Common.

John

Old 23-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Stuart Meier

Sussex 3.5 rods £8.50 inc water, no hoses.

--
Stuart
"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fverv1.1lx0q24f3ux34N%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...

Old 23-05-2003, 06:00 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Chris wrote in message
Just wondering what allotment prices are like around the country.

Here in Boston, Lincs it`s a very reasonable £13.00 a year for a 10m x
30m plot. How big that is in rods I have no idea.

It's about a year since we went over this so.....
A Rod (Pole or Perch) is actually a linear measurement of 5.5 yards or 16.5
feet.

So a Square Rod is 272.25 sq.ft or 30.25 sq.yards (x 0.8361= 25.29 sq
metres).
A normal Allotment plot is either 5 or 10 Sq.Rods (Including pathways).

At 300 sq.metres your plot is 358.8 sq.yards or 11.86 sq.Rods. (the sq. is
normally dropped)

Our Council, Runnymede BC charge £7.40 per Rod rising to £7.60 next year.
It's slightly cheaper if you pay by DD, and there is a 50% reduction if an
OAP. No hoses to be used at all.

So 10 Rods is £74 here, yet in Windsor BC next door it's about £18.

I understand some in London pay £100 or more for the normal 10 Rods.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 23-05-2003, 06:20 PM
martin

wrote:

Good morning all,

Just wondering what allotment prices are like around the country.

Here in Boston, Lincs it`s a very reasonable £13.00 a year for a 10m x
30m plot. How big that is in rods I have no idea.

As fair as I`m concerned one reasonable amount of Strawberries will
make me that up. Let alone the chance of a good crop of Asparagus.

There`s two crops that will cost vertually nothing to grow apart from
a bit of weeding.

Pot and pot?
--
martin
Old 23-05-2003, 10:44 PM
shazzbat

SNIP

Please remove onmaps (nospam backwards!) from replies, thanks!

No it isn't. nospam backwards is "mapson".
Pedantic git aren't I :-))

Old 23-05-2003, 10:44 PM
shazzbat

"Chris Norton" wrote in message
Good morning all,

Just wondering what allotment prices are like around the country.

Here in Boston, Lincs it`s a very reasonable £13.00 a year for a 10m x
30m plot. How big that is in rods I have no idea.

As fair as I`m concerned one reasonable amount of Strawberries will
make me that up. Let alone the chance of a good crop of Asparagus.

There`s two crops that will cost vertually nothing to grow apart from
a bit of weeding.

Looking forward to another weekend of digging.

Longham, Dorset. Mine is £20.00 per annum, and is described as 0.11 acres,
just to be awkward. I have no idea how many rods, roods or poles that is,
but it's a good 14 strides by 30 . No water on site though. Also a strange
rental system in that the price paid on allocation is fixed. i.e. I will
always pay £20.00, someone who has had theirs longer than me will always pay
eg £15.00 or whatever it was when they started. Latercomers will always pay
eg £25.00.

Oh, and I got my first spuds of the year today (var- charlotte) and have
been pulling radishes for nearly 3 weeks now. Handy that, because radishes
are my favourite. Looking forwards to sowing more this weekend.

Steve

Old 23-05-2003, 10:58 PM
jane

On Fri, 23 May 2003 22:21:52 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

~SNIP
~
~ Please remove onmaps (nospam backwards!) from replies, thanks!
~
~No it isn't. nospam backwards is "mapson".
~Pedantic git aren't I :-))
~
:-) but that depends whether you reverse the on then reverse the spam or
reverse the whole lot! Not that it matters given the other letters in demon
mean it can be read either way. Might alter it again anyway - I have to
edit reply-tos by hand every time and it does tend to vary!

Having read the spambot thread I decided perhaps I'd better be less obvious
as my spam has recently gone through the roof. I'm now up to about 30 per
day to about 5 real mails. :-(

--
jane

Mark Twain
Old 24-05-2003, 12:56 AM
shazzbat

~SNIP
~
~ Please remove onmaps (nospam backwards!) from replies, thanks!
~
~No it isn't. nospam backwards is "mapson".
~Pedantic git aren't I :-))
~
:-) but that depends whether you reverse the on then reverse the spam or
reverse the whole lot! Not that it matters given the other letters in

demon
mean it can be read either way. Might alter it again anyway - I have to
edit reply-tos by hand every time and it does tend to vary!

Having read the spambot thread I decided perhaps I'd better be less

obvious
as my spam has recently gone through the roof. I'm now up to about 30 per
day to about 5 real mails. :-(

Been there done that, bought the tea cosy. I now use a different identity
for NGs with a spamtrap address. Although it seems I have inadvertently
chosen a spamtrap address which matches someone's real one, which is
somewhat unfortunate and is now also attracting flames from an idiot
sticking their nose in.

Ho hum.

Best of luck anyway.

Steve

Old 27-05-2003, 07:44 AM
Chris Norton

On Fri, 23 May 2003 14:32:08 +0100, "John Pearce"
wrote:

Most expensive so far..... £78 for 6 rods (72 sq. yds.) in Wandsworth,
London.

Nice though as it backs onto Wimbledon Common.

John

Has to be the land price that the council value the land at.

Could you also tell us if your site is full as this may well have a
bearing on the value put on the land too.

I think out of the 6 sites here in Boston only 1 of them is full. Our
site is only about half full and we have 46 plots on it all of the
same 10x30m size.

We also got it rent free for 6 months to encourage us to take it on.

Personally, I think alot has to do with the surrounding area. We live
in a VERY rural area where agriculture is the real name of the game
with most people making a living within the food production industry.
Maybe people just dont want to get home and then go weeding their own
plot when they have had a hoe in the hand all day.

We also have quite big gardens round here so a lot of people could and
do have veggie plots in them. Dont know if this is a factor either.

Offered my sister a bit of the allotment but she was happy with the 30
sq m she has at the back of mum and dads. She seems to grow huge
amounts there.

Have to say that 78 quid does seem a bit steep for some land that the
councils are required to provide by law but then I still think it`s
really not THAT much a price for the enjoyment of your own
fruit/veg/flowers.

[IBC] Good book prices Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 17-10-2003 02:12 AM
Playstation 2, XBox, GameCube Incredible Prices!! [email protected] Lawns 0 02-04-2003 06:32 AM
lawn care prices. sp500 Lawns 2 29-03-2003 02:32 PM
Offers quality plants at great prices, come see what we mean! NickRiggi Lawns 0 14-01-2003 01:05 PM
AD: Beautiful Tiffany Lamps at Super Affordable Prices! Michelle Liao Lawns 1 14-12-2002 05:56 AM