Old 02-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Jerry Built

Default Roundup - where?

Where can I buy a quantity of Roundup or similar to treat

approx. an acre of ground, possibly twice. I have heard

that there's an "agricultural" or "concentrated" sort that

can be bought and is more cost-effective compared to the

garden centre type diluted appropriately. Any information

will be gratefully received!

This email is a free service of Phantom Email
available at http://phantomemail.com/.
Looking for a date? Check out http://personalinteractions.com/go/p185.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Peter Ashby

In article ,
"Howard Neil" hneil@REMOVE TO REPLY.co.uk wrote:

Where can I buy a quantity of Roundup or similar to treat
approx. an acre of ground, possibly twice. I have heard
that there's an "agricultural" or "concentrated" sort that
can be bought and is more cost-effective compared to the
garden centre type diluted appropriately. Any information
will be gratefully received!

Look under "Agricultural Supplies" in your local Yellow Pages.

You will need a backpack sprayer or a weed wiper to apply it, though. If you
do not have access to either, it may be more cost effective to make friends
with a local farmer.

I have applied it from a common watering can, though over an acre that
would be tedious (mine was about 1/16th of an acre). IIRC you can get a
variant with a dye in it so you can tell where you have sprayed. For
that you would almost certainly need and agricultural supplier.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:32 PM
anton

Jerry Built wrote in message
Where can I buy a quantity of Roundup or similar to treat
approx. an acre of ground, possibly twice. I have heard
that there's an "agricultural" or "concentrated" sort that
can be bought and is more cost-effective compared to the
garden centre type diluted appropriately. Any information
will be gratefully received!

An ag supplier will sell you 5litreso r whatever of concentrate at about
£25, from memory.

But instead try a local ag contractor- it might well only cost you
£50-£100, including the roundup, to have the whole lot done professionally.
Depending on what exactly you want to do, you might also want
to have it disced and or sown with whatever you want the field
to be. Please don't do this if it's a centuries old meadow- I'm assuming
that you've got a field that's got out of hand.

What are you going to do with it afterwards?

--
Anton

Old 02-06-2003, 11:44 PM
ned

Jerry Built wrote:
Where can I buy a quantity of Roundup or similar to treat
approx. an acre of ground, possibly twice. I have heard
that there's an "agricultural" or "concentrated" sort that
can be bought and is more cost-effective compared to the
garden centre type diluted appropriately. Any information
will be gratefully received!

To completely clear an acre of all plant life, I'd definitely advise
going to an agricultural supplier. It will certainly be cheaper. And
you should get knowledgeable advice. If they get all defensive about
selling farm products to enthusiastic amateurs (HSE regs etc.), then a
friendly farmer will be your best bet.
As for applying it, you can hire suitable sprayers from hire shops and
agri. contractors.
Incidentally, farmers usually turn over the ground after the first
application has done its job, to expose roots and to raise dormant
seeds to the surface. And even after the second application there will
always be some persistent weeds and dormant seeds just biding their
time. Then just when you think you've got it licked, you will be
invaded by next-door's wind blown seed. Nature is pretty persistent
about trying to colonise bare ground.
'Curiosity kicks in. Why are you stripping bare a (junior) football
field?
:-)

--
ned