Old 08-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Colin Malsingh

Default Fennel - cooking methods

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 22:54:42 +0100, "Paul England" firstplatz
@virgin.net wrote:

Florence Fennel, again from D.G.Hessayon '......
Slice for serving raw in salads or boil for 30 - 40 mins and serve with
butter, white or cheese sauce.' HTH.

I've heard the Italians like to bake or roast it too - might conserve
a bit more flavour than boiling it.

I have tried growing it for the first time this year, although it's a
long way off the "golf ball" size that a previous poster mentioned. If
it ever gets big enough to try, I'll do a taste comparison of the
different methods and let you know.

Colin
Colin
-----
Replace the obvious with Bigfoot
Old 09-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Paul England

news
@virgin.net wrote:

Florence Fennel, again from D.G.Hessayon '......
Slice for serving raw in salads or boil for 30 - 40 mins and serve with
butter, white or cheese sauce.' HTH.

I've heard the Italians like to bake or roast it too - might conserve
a bit more flavour than boiling it.

I have tried growing it for the first time this year, although it's a
long way off the "golf ball" size that a previous poster mentioned. If
it ever gets big enough to try, I'll do a taste comparison of the
different methods and let you know.

Colin

Yes, my cookbooks prefer baking or raw in salads. I have taken over an
allotment this year and am growing both types of fennel. This year is an
experiment, growing lots of dif types of veggie and herbs. Of the dozen or
so FF, only one has reached golfball size - just need a bit more sun, I
guess.

Paul