Old 13-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Tom Warner

Default Holes in my roses

Something is chewing perfectly circular holes 8-12mm diameter in the leaves
of my roses.
Any ideas anyone
Thanks
Tom

Old 13-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Emrys Davies

'Tom',

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/r...131000859.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 14-06-2003, 01:59 AM
RichardS

"Tom Warner" wrote in message
Something is chewing perfectly circular holes 8-12mm diameter in the

leaves
of my roses.
Any ideas anyone
Thanks
Tom

I was just about to post something similar, but I knew exactly what was
causing the holes - Leafcutter bees. Google search for Megachile - loads of
info around.

They're lovely little non-agressive creatures, and they are apparently
stunningly good pollinators.

We had one last year, nesting in a small hole in the mortar. This year I
was more prepared - there's a palatial block of iroko screwed to the back
wall with about 60 holes drilled in it (5 & 8mm, about 15cm deep) & a bunch
of canes under a sloping "roof".

There'd been a little bit of interest from a few bees about 2 weeks ago, but
then things went quiet. I was beginning to dispair, when today I saw 3
different leafcutters popping in and out of the holes with bits of leaf.

Last year they cut holes out of either the philadelphus or the hibiscus -
can't remember which. This year, couldn't find any evidence. Roses intact.
No holes in the bean leaves. Then I looked at a small tub that I'd stuck
some peas in... bingo! holes everywhere. A smoking gun if ever I've seen
one....

Enjoy them whilst they're around - the amount of damage they do is small
compared to their benefit.

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Old 15-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Tom Warner

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..

"Tom Warner" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, I was not planning to do anything about them as the damage is
negligable, I just wondered what it was, as the holes are very symmetrical
and I could think of no insect that would do this.
Tom

Old 16-06-2003, 11:32 PM
RichardS

"Tom Warner" wrote in message

snip

Thanks, I was not planning to do anything about them as the damage is
negligable, I just wondered what it was, as the holes are very symmetrical
and I could think of no insect that would do this.
Tom

Glad to hear it! They're amazing things if you can catch them at work -
have just wasted the best part of 2 days watching "ours"....

funny thing is, the two roses we have are completely untouched.

the peas (but not the sweet peas) and a fuscia (right down at the other end
of the garden) now look like a fully interlocking jigsaw puzzle! Fussy
things, bees.

cheers
Richard