Old 14-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Flatley my dear, I don't riverdance.

Default Strawberry Query

My strawberry plants are coming on nicely and there is plenty of fruit
there beginning to ripen.

I live in the North East of England (Co Durham) are there any pests I
need to be aware of and what can I do to protect from them ?

Cbeers
Old 14-06-2003, 02:08 PM
David Hill

Birds, especially blackbirds will love them.
If you only have a few plants you can slop the fruit into a clean jam jar as
it starts to ripen, keeps the birds off, protects the fruit from the rain
and speeds up ripening.
Also slugs need to be dealt with.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 14-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

If I went back to my county of birth their is one pest I know of......I
would enjoy raiding your garden.........HW.USA.ex Bishop

Old 14-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Bill Brewer

"Flatley my dear, I don't riverdance." wrote in a message:
My strawberry plants are coming on nicely and there is plenty of fruit
there beginning to ripen. Are there any pests I
need to be aware of and what can I do to protect from them ?
--------------

Yes, children and visitors, but as you have plenty why bother!

Bill B.

Old 15-06-2003, 11:56 AM
PETER DONOVAN

I have just recently raised about 20 young strawberry plants from seed.They
are in the greenhouse at present.ready for planting out (hopefully to fruit
next year)Problem they are shooting out plenty of runners I have enough
plants at present ,Do I cut the runners from the parent plant to promote
better growth?
Please advise Peter

Old 18-06-2003, 07:08 AM
Tim Tyler

PETER DONOVAN wrote:

: I have just recently raised about 20 young strawberry plants from seed.

[...]

: Problem they are shooting out plenty of runners I have enough
: plants at present ,
: Do I cut the runners from the parent plant to promote better growth?

Yes!
--