Old 15-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Hep-Liver

Default Man Shot Dead over hedge dispute !

This is an urgently needed piece of legislation to clear up this long
running festering sore over garden hedges.
I understand its at 2nd reading in parliament
Clear giudance over hedge heights is urgent
there must 100s of other festering disputes that could also end in a
killing over this issue...
all waiting to explode ..

************************************************** **************
Police guard injured neighbour after fatal shooting

A man remains under police guard in hospital after his neighbour, said
to have been involved in a long-running dispute over a garden hedge,
was shot dead.

George Wilson, 66, was found with bullet wounds at his home on Friday
afternoon, and died shortly after being taken to hospital.

His 52-year-old next-door-neighbour was later discovered injured and
was also taken to hospital.

As police forensic officers continue to search the area, neighbours
say the pair had a dispute over a hedge which ran along the border
between the front gardens of their homes, in Webster Close, Lincoln.

One neighbour, who did not want to be named, said Mr Wilson, who he
had known all his life, had been involved in several arguments over
his garden hedge.

Michael Green, 48, who lives only a few doors from Mr Wilson's home,
said police asked him to leave his house yesterday and stand at the
end of the street while the incident was sorted out.

The shooting is believed to have happened at about 3.30pm. At 6.45pm
police discovered the second man, who was also injured. He was taken
to an undisclosed hospital, but the extent and nature of his injuries
has not been disclosed.

Scene of crime officers are expected to remain in the street over the
weekend and uniformed officers are carrying out house-to-house
inquiries.

A police spokesman said: "The 52-year-old man who was taken to
hospital yesterday is under arrest and with a police guard. For
operational reasons we still don't wish to disclose which hospital he
is being treated at or the nature of his injuries.

"However his injuries are not thought to be life-threatening. He will
be questioned as soon as he is discharged from hospital. We don't know
when that will be."

Story filed: 15:47 Saturday 14th June 2003

Old 15-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Neil Trotter

In article , Hep-Liver said:

This is an urgently needed piece of legislation to clear up this long
running festering sore over garden hedges.
I understand its at 2nd reading in parliament
Clear giudance over hedge heights is urgent
there must 100s of other festering disputes that could also end in a
killing over this issue...
all waiting to explode ..

If you think it's all about hedges, you're mistaken.

People will always find things to disagree about, and, yes, even
occasionally to shoot each other over. It's already illegal to shoot
people, and that didn't seem to help much in this case.

--Neil.

--
Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK. (Amend email address to use).
Old 15-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Peter Crosland

This is an urgently needed piece of legislation to clear up this long
running festering sore over garden hedges.
I understand its at 2nd reading in parliament
Clear giudance over hedge heights is urgent
there must 100s of other festering disputes that could also end in a
killing over this issue...
all waiting to explode ..

Whilst legislation may well be desirable why do you expect it is going to
have any effect on nutters like the assailant in this case? We already have
one of the most repressive regimes of gun regulation in the UK and it has
had minimal effect on the use of guns in criminal activity. The REAL problem
is the decline in morality at all levels of society. A cure for that will be
much more difficult to find.

Old 15-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Paul Kelly

This is an urgently needed piece of legislation to clear up this long
running festering sore over garden hedges.
I understand its at 2nd reading in parliament
Clear giudance over hedge heights is urgent
there must 100s of other festering disputes that could also end in a
killing over this issue...

I don't think the dispute in this case was about a high/leylandii hedge at
all - from piccies in the papers today.

pk

Old 16-06-2003, 01:20 AM
William Tasso

Neil Trotter wrote:
.. It's already illegal to shoot people,

damn, is it?

damn.

when did they sneak that in?

damn.

--
William Tasso

Old 16-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Katharine Mill

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message ...

there must 100s of other festering disputes that could also end in a
killing over this issue...

Not just this issue, it seems. Here in Belgium, papers are today
reporting the story of 77-year-old who shot and injured several people
at a neighbour's noisy barbecue...
Old 16-06-2003, 04:09 PM
BAC

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

This is an urgently needed piece of legislation to clear up this long
running festering sore over garden hedges.
I understand its at 2nd reading in parliament
Clear giudance over hedge heights is urgent
there must 100s of other festering disputes that could also end in a
killing over this issue...

I don't think the dispute in this case was about a high/leylandii hedge at
all - from piccies in the papers today.

No, I understand it was a 'traditional' privet hedge.

People can/will fall out over anything, unfortunately, and, very
occasionally, that leads to tragic consequences like this. Using it as an
excuse to rush through legislation about hedges in general is plain daft,
IMO.

Old 16-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Tim

On 16 Jun 2003 04:14:54 -0700, Katharine Mill wrote:

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

there must 100s of other festering disputes that could also end in a
killing over this issue...

Not just this issue, it seems. Here in Belgium, papers are today
reporting the story of 77-year-old who shot and injured several people
at a neighbour's noisy barbecue...

There's been a series of "evil neighbour" televison programmes on german TV
over the last 2 years or so. And a hit single based on the words of one old
lady who got into an argument over their next-door's chain-link fence.
everywhere at the moment. I blame global warming.
Tim.
Old 16-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Malcolm

In article , BAC
writes

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

This is an urgently needed piece of legislation to clear up this long
running festering sore over garden hedges.
I understand its at 2nd reading in parliament
Clear giudance over hedge heights is urgent
there must 100s of other festering disputes that could also end in a
killing over this issue...

I don't think the dispute in this case was about a high/leylandii hedge at
all - from piccies in the papers today.

No, I understand it was a 'traditional' privet hedge.

The Times says it was about the height of it, though.

--
Malcolm
Old 16-06-2003, 07:20 PM
BAC

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , BAC
writes

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

This is an urgently needed piece of legislation to clear up this

long
running festering sore over garden hedges.
I understand its at 2nd reading in parliament
Clear giudance over hedge heights is urgent
there must 100s of other festering disputes that could also end in

killing over this issue...

I don't think the dispute in this case was about a high/leylandii hedge

at
all - from piccies in the papers today.

No, I understand it was a 'traditional' privet hedge.

The Times says it was about the height of it, though.

So I understand, the victim apparently remonstrating with a person believed
to have cut it down without consent. Both people are said to have been keen
gardeners. It's a very great shame when things get so out of hand.

Old 16-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Its-eddy !

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:05:40 +0100, "BAC"
wrote:

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

This is an urgently needed piece of legislation to clear up this long
running festering sore over garden hedges.
I understand its at 2nd reading in parliament
Clear giudance over hedge heights is urgent
there must 100s of other festering disputes that could also end in a
killing over this issue...

I don't think the dispute in this case was about a high/leylandii hedge at
all - from piccies in the papers today.

No, I understand it was a 'traditional' privet hedge.

People can/will fall out over anything, unfortunately, and, very
occasionally, that leads to tragic consequences like this. Using it as an
excuse to rush through legislation about hedges in general is plain daft,
IMO.

you forget that there are large numbers of similar diputes all over
the country.
Without some form of arbitration over the heights which in may cases
are alarmingly high these types of cases will continue.

No doubt you are one of the ignorant pricks with a too high hedge and
dont want to cut it.

Old 16-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Him_Tarzan

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 16:41:46 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Kelly"
wrote:

This is an urgently needed piece of legislation to clear up this long
running festering sore over garden hedges.
I understand its at 2nd reading in parliament
Clear giudance over hedge heights is urgent
there must 100s of other festering disputes that could also end in a
killing over this issue...

I don't think the dispute in this case was about a high/leylandii hedge at
all - from piccies in the papers today.

pk

thats right , it looked quite small, however as things stand right
now, some idiot can plant over large trees in a too small garden
overshadowing another neighbours garden , as we see with leylandi
disputs.
And theres nothing you can do about it.
Given that you cant build an overlarge construction in your garden
that would similarly overshadow a neighbours garden ,say an extension
to your house , then why should some idiot be able to plant say a
totally unsuitable tree or trees that would do the same?
If you were to build a house extension without planning permission
then the council could order you to knock it down .
However someone can plant something similar in height and magnitude
that cant be got rid of .

Old 16-06-2003, 07:59 PM
Neil Trotter

In article , Its-eddy !
said:

No doubt you are one of the ignorant pricks with a too high hedge and
dont want to cut it.

You don't own a gun by any chance, do you?

--
Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK. (Amend email address to use).
Old 17-06-2003, 08:44 PM
BAC

wrote:

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

[...]

Even if the law is used to 'decide' this sort of dispute, you will still get
people disatisfied with the outcome, and some of them will over react.

No doubt you are one of the ignorant pricks with a too high hedge and
dont want to cut it.

Wrong, foulmouth, no hedges at all - there were some conifers left along one
boundary by a previous owner, but I got rid of them.