Old 24-06-2003, 01:32 AM
shannie

Default where to cut the pea?

This may sound like a very simple question and it is but I honestly don't
know the answer. When pulling peas/mangetout/sugar snaps from the plant do
we leave the 'flower head' (looks like a night cap) on the plant or take it
off??
One body of opinion here is, it's a bit like leaving daffs to die away
naturally, another is they sap the energy from the rest of the plants. so
break off before the 'cap' or leave it on the plant.

Thanks

--

Shan (Ireland)
http://ukdiscus.com/main.htm

Old 24-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Tim

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 01:27:17 +0100, shannie wrote:

This may sound like a very simple question and it is but I honestly don't
know the answer. When pulling peas/mangetout/sugar snaps from the plant
do
we leave the 'flower head' (looks like a night cap) on the plant or take
it
off??
One body of opinion here is, it's a bit like leaving daffs to die away
naturally, another is they sap the energy from the rest of the plants. so
break off before the 'cap' or leave it on the plant.

Er, that's the whole point of mangetout, you eat everything. Have you tried
pulling the pods off without taking the flower sepals as well? Pull the
whole thing off with stalk if it comes too. As I see it, you can't compare
peas to daffs, as peas don't withdraw back into a bulb. The peas just grow.
So leaving the flower head on won't make any difference.
Tim.
Old 24-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Kay Easton

In article , shannie
writes
This may sound like a very simple question and it is but I honestly don't
know the answer. When pulling peas/mangetout/sugar snaps from the plant do
we leave the 'flower head' (looks like a night cap) on the plant or take it
off??

Whichever is easiest. After the first few dozen , you stop caring ;-)

One body of opinion here is, it's a bit like leaving daffs to die away
naturally, another is they sap the energy from the rest of the plants. so
break off before the 'cap' or leave it on the plant.

No, it's not at all the same - the flower head is already dead, the
energy has gone into making the pea, so it doesn't make any difference
what you do.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 24-06-2003, 07:08 PM
shannie

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , shannie
writes
[...]

Thanks Kay and Tim for that.

Shan

Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
[IBC] To cut or not to cut that´s the question. Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 04-11-2004 01:39 PM
To cut or not to cut ? Allen Lai Lawns 4 31-10-2003 11:22 PM
where to cut the pea? shannie United Kingdom 3 25-06-2003 08:30 PM
To cut or not to cut .... Allen Lai Lawns 9 12-06-2003 04:56 AM