Old 27-06-2003, 04:01 PM
Registered User

Location: London
Default Mouldy bread and compost heaps.

Hi all,

I was just wondering, seeing as once bread goes mouldy, it usually gets covered in green mould really fast. So if I were to mix this in with other peelings etc, would it speed up the decomosition of the peelings as well?

Or is it a different type of bacteria.

Also is it reccomened to add bread to the compost heap, and what type of matter will it break down into?

Thanks for you help
Old 27-06-2003, 04:33 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article m,
dommy writes:

| I was just wondering, seeing as once bread goes mouldy, it usually gets
| covered in green mould really fast. So if I were to mix this in with
| other peelings etc, would it speed up the decomosition of the peelings
| as well?

Possibly, but it would probably make little difference.

| Or is it a different type of bacteria.

It is a fungus, not a bacterium. Many of the organisms in compost
heaps are.

| Also is it reccomened to add bread to the compost heap, and what type
| of matter will it break down into?

Yes, and humus, respectively. Almost anything that will rot will
compost.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article m, dommy
writes
Hi all,

I was just wondering, seeing as once bread goes mouldy, it usually gets
covered in green mould really fast. So if I were to mix this in with
other peelings etc, would it speed up the decomosition of the peelings
as well?

Or is it a different type of bacteria.

The green mould isn't bacteria, it's fungi. Fungi are usually fairly
specific about what they will grow on.

Also is it reccomened to add bread to the compost heap, and what type
of matter will it break down into?

Bread doesn't have a lot of substance to it and doesn't add a lot to the
compost heap, and it may attract rats

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 27-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Sid

Kay Easton wrote in message
In article m, dommy

Also is it reccomened to add bread to the compost heap, and what type
of matter will it break down into?

Bread doesn't have a lot of substance to it and doesn't add a lot to the
compost heap,

"and it may attract rats"

tats wot i was gonna say.

but wot do i know, being an absolute failure with compost heaps. i've had
one for ten years and it's never ever decomposed (but the woodlice and ants
luv it).

Old 27-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay Easton writes:

| The green mould isn't bacteria, it's fungi. Fungi are usually fairly
| specific about what they will grow on.

Er, not moulds and yeasts. One extreme example is Botrytis cinerea,
which will grow on almost anything, but so will the Penicillins
(which it could well be).

| Also is it reccomened to add bread to the compost heap, and what type
| of matter will it break down into?
|
| Bread doesn't have a lot of substance to it and doesn't add a lot to the
| compost heap, and it may attract rats

Buy better bread! That is true of Americanised foamed starch,
but is not true of Real Bread (TM). While it could attract rats
in theory, I don't think that it is a problem in practice.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 27-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Sid
writes

Kay Easton wrote in message
In article m, dommy

Also is it reccomened to add bread to the compost heap, and what type
of matter will it break down into?

Bread doesn't have a lot of substance to it and doesn't add a lot to the
compost heap,

"and it may attract rats"

tats wot i was gonna say.

but wot do i know, being an absolute failure with compost heaps. i've had
one for ten years and it's never ever decomposed (but the woodlice and ants
luv it).

You're keeping it too dry. Try adding water to it. If you can get it
damp enough for earthworms, you should get good compost from it.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 27-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Victoria Clare

dommy wrote in
s.com:

Also is it reccomened to add bread to the compost heap, and what type
of matter will it break down into?

OK in the compost heap, but don't put much in a wormery. It breaks down
into a sort of grey sludge that the worms don't like, and screws up the
drainage.

(speaking from bitter experience!)

Victoria

Old 27-06-2003, 07:54 PM
Registered User

Location: London
Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies everyone, very kind and helpful of you all. I have a loaf of mouldy bread, think ill break it up and chuck it in.

Old 27-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

| Also is it reccomened to add bread to the compost heap, and what type
| of matter will it break down into?
|
| Bread doesn't have a lot of substance to it and doesn't add a lot to the
| compost heap, and it may attract rats

Buy better bread! That is true of Americanised foamed starch,
but is not true of Real Bread (TM).

Real bread doesn't hang around long enough to go mouldy!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 28-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Essjay001

Kay Easton wrote:
and it may attract rats

the rat ain't been born that can find its way into my compost bin whatever I
put in it.

Old concrete coal bunker with cast iron shutter!

Old 28-06-2003, 12:32 AM
bnd777

Not really but its OK to put it in ........best to break it up into small
pieces though and mix in

s.com...

Old 28-06-2003, 10:22 AM
martin

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:11:25 +0000 (UTC), "Essjay001"
wrote:

Kay Easton wrote:
and it may attract rats

the rat ain't been born that can find its way into my compost bin whatever I
put in it.

Old concrete coal bunker with cast iron shutter!

If rabbits can get into a nuclear waste dump at Douneray, then
anything is possible, including pink bunnies that glow in the dark.

--
martin
Old 28-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Essjay001 wrote:
Kay Easton wrote:
and it may attract rats

the rat ain't been born that can find its way into my compost bin whatever I
put in it.

Old concrete coal bunker with cast iron shutter!

Hmm. I suggest reading H.G. Wells "The Food of the Gods" and then
thinking about Monsanto :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

blindworm (lodger of my compost heaps) Willi_9 Garden Photos 0 02-04-2016 06:43 PM
Covering compost heaps michael United Kingdom 17 15-02-2014 06:21 PM
compost heaps Fred United Kingdom 5 11-02-2008 08:38 PM
Gases coming off compost heaps ? haylow50 United Kingdom 9 09-03-2004 09:12 AM
Musings on Compost Heaps (and the things you find in them) Sarah Dale United Kingdom 10 13-11-2002 01:22 PM