Old 30-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Andrew Hargreaves

Default Newbie: Small tree suggestions please

As it's summer again, I have decided to take an interest in my small
garden again.

Normally I just cut the grass and be done with it, however this year I
have decided to make an effort ( probably too late since it's July
tomorrow) and try and grow a small tree where my rose stick used to
stand. Yes, stick because that was all there was to it in the six
years I have stayed here.

Anyway, I have dug up and disposed of said stick, but I would now like
to replace it with some sort of small tree. My knowledge of gardening
is minimal to say the least but if someone wants to point me in the
right direction, then I will go away and read up where possible to try
and do something creative with my garden.

I stay in Glasgow and the place where the tree is to go gets the
sunshine in the morning, until the shadow of the buidling puts it in
the shade. Ideally the tree shoulld be fairly small (no more than 3
metres if possible) and fairly hardy as my green fingers haven't
developed too well yet.

If any further iinformation is required I will try my best to provide
it.

Thanks

Andrew H
Old 01-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Pam Morris

How about a weeping cotoneaster - I bought one of these last year and I'm
well impressed with it - evergreen, lovely shape, red berries through the
winter, pretty little yellow flowers in spring, no pruning needed.

Pam.
news As it's summer again, I have decided to take an interest in my small

Old 02-07-2003, 12:52 AM
Andrew Hargreaves

Thanks Pam, I'll have a look at that. Any idea where I could buy it or
should I be able to get one fairly easily?

Andrew

Old 03-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Pam Morris

I bought mine at the South of England Garden Show last August. Maybe you
could try looking on http://gardenshows.com/ to see if there are any shows
coming up in your area. http://www.glasgowshow.co.uk/exhibpvillage.htm
will take you to the list of some of the exhibitors at last years Glasgow
garden show.

Good luck,

wrote:

How about a weeping cotoneaster - I bought one of these last year and I'm
well impressed with it - evergreen, lovely shape, red berries through the
winter, pretty little yellow flowers in spring, no pruning needed.

Pam.
"Andrew Hargreaves" wrote in message
news
snipped

Old 04-07-2003, 09:44 AM
Katharine Mill

Andrew Hargreaves wrote in message . ..
I would now like
to replace it with some sort of small tree.

Hello Andrew
Mr T-marsh recommends crabapple trees for small gardens as they have
good blossom, fruits and a nice skeletal shape in winter. I'd plant
one in my tiny garden myself were it not for the ancient lilac which
currently dominates and which I hope will soon die (flowers all at the
top and too high to prune).
But check what conditions it likes, I'm new to the gardening game,
too.
Good luck
Katharine

Old 04-07-2003, 05:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Katharine
Mill writes
Andrew Hargreaves wrote in message news:odf1gvsfboc5t02q
I would now like
to replace it with some sort of small tree.

Hello Andrew
Mr T-marsh recommends crabapple trees for small gardens as they have
good blossom, fruits and a nice skeletal shape in winter. I'd plant
one in my tiny garden myself were it not for the ancient lilac which
currently dominates and which I hope will soon die (flowers all at the
top and too high to prune).

Assuming your lilac has several 'trunks' try taking one of them out at
the bottom. This will generate lots of shoots low down, which won't
flower in the first year but should start flowering the next year. Then
you can take out another trunk, and so on until all the trunks have
gone, and you have a lilac flowering at a decent height.

Of course, then you are stuck with the lilac and will never get your
crab ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 08-07-2003, 06:10 PM
Katharine Mill

Kay Easton wrote in message ...

Assuming your lilac has several 'trunks' try taking one of them out at
the bottom. This will generate lots of shoots low down, which won't
flower in the first year but should start flowering the next year. Then
you can take out another trunk, and so on until all the trunks have
gone, and you have a lilac flowering at a decent height.

Of course, then you are stuck with the lilac and will never get your
crab ;-)

Really? Sounds too good to be true! Aha, but when you say 'trunks'...
I have one main very gnarled one at the base, and then at about 4 ft
two 'branches', which are also pretty gnarled and go up and out into
the twiglets at about 15 ft. Can I safely lop one of the branches?
Please say yes!

Katharine

Old 08-07-2003, 11:37 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Katharine
Mill writes
Kay Easton wrote in message news:93rOdjAaBbB$EwZ7@sc
arboro.demon.co.uk...

Assuming your lilac has several 'trunks' try taking one of them out at
the bottom. This will generate lots of shoots low down, which won't
flower in the first year but should start flowering the next year. Then
you can take out another trunk, and so on until all the trunks have
gone, and you have a lilac flowering at a decent height.

Of course, then you are stuck with the lilac and will never get your
crab ;-)

Really? Sounds too good to be true! Aha, but when you say 'trunks'...
I have one main very gnarled one at the base, and then at about 4 ft
two 'branches', which are also pretty gnarled and go up and out into
the twiglets at about 15 ft. Can I safely lop one of the branches?
Please say yes!

Yes :-)

Pity you've only got one main trunk at the base. But if you cut one of
the branches, then it might stimulate the lilac to throw up shoots from
the base, so that in a few years time you might be able to take out the
whole main trunk.

Think about whether you want to grow something up the lilac to provide
flowers through that long period when the lilac isn't flowering.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 08-07-2003, 11:41 PM
Kay Easton

[...]

Lemon Tree Advice to a newbie please: Is it wide enough to plant mynew bought lemon tree? [email protected] Gardening 2 25-05-2008 04:22 AM
Newbie question: Small filter for small pond? angel toledo Ponds 4 22-04-2005 05:18 PM
Tree Suggestions Please? Sue Gardening 0 30-09-2003 01:32 AM
Plant/Tree Suggestions Please Andy United Kingdom 7 20-06-2003 03:20 PM
Tree suggestions please zhanataya Gardening 7 14-03-2003 06:56 PM