Old 19-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Andy

Default Plant/Tree Suggestions Please

I have a circular area cut out of the centre of my lawn which is about
seven feet in diameter. I would like to plant something bold there
and would welcome any suggestions. I like BIG things so trees are
fine. Although my children are usually well-behaved, whatever goes in
there will have to be able to withstand the odd bash from them.

I have thought about a monkey puzzle tree, or a very large Camelia or
that tree which has bronze-coloured bark (the name escapes me for the
moment). This area can be seen clearly from the dining room so I
don't mind spending a bit either.

Thanks in advance.

Andy.
Old 19-06-2003, 01:56 PM

I have a circular area cut out of the centre of my lawn which is about
seven feet in diameter.

A large arbour made out of willow or bamboo plants. Plant it around the edge
of the circle and join it at the top. Leave 3 gaps for entry and exits. The
kids would love it. You could grow sweetpeas etc up it in summer to clothe
it.

Best,

- h

Old 19-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Michael Berridge

Andy wrote in message
. ..
I have a circular area cut out of the centre of my lawn which is about
seven feet in diameter. I would like to plant something bold there
and would welcome any suggestions. I like BIG things so trees are
fine. Although my children are usually well-behaved, whatever goes in
there will have to be able to withstand the odd bash from them.

I have thought about a monkey puzzle tree, or a very large Camelia or
that tree which has bronze-coloured bark (the name escapes me for the
moment). This area can be seen clearly from the dining room so I
don't mind spending a bit either.

Thanks in advance.

How far away from the house is it, that would certainly affect the type
of tree you could plant.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 19-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Andy" wrote in message ...
I have a circular area cut out of the centre of my lawn which is about
seven feet in diameter. I would like to plant something bold there
and would welcome any suggestions. I like BIG things so trees are
fine. Although my children are usually well-behaved, whatever goes in
there will have to be able to withstand the odd bash from them.

I have thought about a monkey puzzle tree, or a very large Camelia or
that tree which has bronze-coloured bark (the name escapes me for the
moment). This area can be seen clearly from the dining room so I
don't mind spending a bit either.

With small kids I would not recommend a "Monkey Puzzle Tree" they really do
have branches like a string of razor blades. They are also very expensive if
you want something bigger than a foot tall because they are very slow
growing. :-)

Take a look at an Arboretum, there must be one near you, and any other
gardens open to the public and see what trees you like. This will show you
what it's possible to grow in your area of the country too. Then, with your
list of likes, do some searching to discover their requirements and habits.

Favourites of mine a-
Liquidambar...... glossy foliage, wonderful autumn colour. (many varieties)
"Arthur Turner".... a good cooking apple that got an AGM for it's flowers.

And whilst on that subject don't forget fruit trees as a possibility.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 19-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Sue & Bob Hobden
writes

"Andy" wrote in message ...
I have a circular area cut out of the centre of my lawn which is about
seven feet in diameter. I would like to plant something bold there
and would welcome any suggestions. I like BIG things so trees are
fine. Although my children are usually well-behaved, whatever goes in
there will have to be able to withstand the odd bash from them.

I have thought about a monkey puzzle tree, or a very large Camelia or
that tree which has bronze-coloured bark (the name escapes me for the
moment). This area can be seen clearly from the dining room so I
don't mind spending a bit either.

With small kids I would not recommend a "Monkey Puzzle Tree" they really do
have branches like a string of razor blades. They are also very expensive if
you want something bigger than a foot tall because they are very slow
growing. :-)

They're not *that* bad! ;-)
Ours was 8 inches tall when we bought it, and spent about 3 years
looking ridiculous. But for the past 5 years it's been looking quite
statuesque and is now 7 ft tall.

What about a brewer's spruce - the one with long dangly needles, like a
maltese terrier. That's lovely. But I don't know how big it gets ore how
it copes with children.

There's also that Cornus which grows in layers and has showy white
flowers - that's something that really needs to stand on its own as a
specimen.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 20-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Andy

"H" wrote in message ...
I have a circular area cut out of the centre of my lawn which is about
seven feet in diameter.

A large arbour made out of willow or bamboo plants. Plant it around the edge
of the circle and join it at the top. Leave 3 gaps for entry and exits. The
kids would love it. You could grow sweetpeas etc up it in summer to clothe
it.

Best,

- h

Ooh ooh cool idea! Thanks for all the suggestions - I think I'll try
the willow. IIRC it will grow won't it? If not I can always 'clothe'
it as suggested.

Thanks again,

Andy.

Insect Spray For Tree Suggestions, Please. (leaves being eaten) Robert11 Lawns 5 01-05-2006 10:56 PM
Tree suggestions please bnd777 United Kingdom 39 25-12-2003 11:12 PM
Tree Suggestions Please? Sue Gardening 0 30-09-2003 01:32 AM
Newbie: Small tree suggestions please Andrew Hargreaves United Kingdom 10 08-07-2003 11:41 PM
Tree suggestions please zhanataya Gardening 7 14-03-2003 06:56 PM