Old 01-07-2003, 04:21 PM
Lee

Default Hand water pump

Dear all,
I am looking for a hand pump for water.

Our allotment has no running water and the water butts are nearly empty.
There is a stream nearby which has a small amount of stagnent water in it
but it is a good 5 mins walk away. What I need is a small hand powered water
pump that I can dump a hose into the water and pump the water up into the
rain barrels...
Tried everywhere, even farmers use petrol or electric pumps nowadays....

Any ideas???

Old 01-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Mike

In article , Lee
writes
Dear all,
I am looking for a hand pump for water.

Our allotment has no running water and the water butts are nearly empty.
There is a stream nearby which has a small amount of stagnent water in it
but it is a good 5 mins walk away. What I need is a small hand powered water
pump that I can dump a hose into the water and pump the water up into the
rain barrels...
Tried everywhere, even farmers use petrol or electric pumps nowadays....

Any ideas???

Try Marine Chandlers and look for Bilge Pumps

I kid you knot ;-)

Forthcoming reunions.
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Old 02-07-2003, 12:34 AM
Bigjon

Lee declared:

http://tinyurl.com/fs7w
--
You can't have it all -
Where would you put it ?
Old 02-07-2003, 03:14 AM
pronoun

Hi Lee,

I am currently re-inventing the force pump, for my own use. If it works
out--I'll send you the plans. You will need a few simple tools, or a good
pal, like mine.

. net...

Old 02-07-2003, 09:08 AM
Druss

"Lee" wrote in message
. net...
Dear all,
I am looking for a hand pump for water.

Our allotment has no running water and the water butts are nearly empty.
There is a stream nearby which has a small amount of stagnent water in it
but it is a good 5 mins walk away. What I need is a small hand powered

water
pump that I can dump a hose into the water and pump the water up into the
rain barrels...
Tried everywhere, even farmers use petrol or electric pumps nowadays....

Any ideas???

I went through exactly this recently myself, now www.machinemart.co.uk do
sell them but they told me they were not really meant for practical use,
even though they advertise them as being able to pump from 5m below ground.
Alternatives given them included sailing pumps, these aren't pretty, like
machinemarts, however they are probably more practical. Plastic, light, hand
or foot operated, and any good yacht dealers will be able to supply them.
Duncan

Old 02-07-2003, 09:57 AM
Lee

That would be great, the guys at work said I should build my own, but I
wouldn't know where to start!!!
Thanks..

Old 02-07-2003, 09:57 AM
Lee

Great cheers guys,
Although with the torrential down pour we had last night, it appears the 3
hours I spent digging for water in the stream bed was a little wasted!!!

Ho hum!!

Thanks again

Lee

Old 02-07-2003, 10:08 AM
Andrew

I am looking for a hand pump for water.

Any ideas???

I went through exactly this recently myself, now www.machinemart.co.uk do
sell them but they told me they were not really meant for practical use,
even though they advertise them as being able to pump from 5m below ground.

Machine Mart pumps do work, but you have to prime them (pour water in
the top) every time you want to use them. We have one beside the sink in
the kitchen and it works fine. It was, however, the third one we tried,
having returned two defunct models... We really wanted one ;-)
Old 02-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Chris Norton

"Lee" wrote in message
.net...
Dear all,
I am looking for a hand pump for water.

Our allotment has no running water and the water butts are nearly empty.
There is a stream nearby which has a small amount of stagnent water in it
but it is a good 5 mins walk away. What I need is a small hand powered

water
pump that I can dump a hose into the water and pump the water up into the
rain barrels...
Tried everywhere, even farmers use petrol or electric pumps nowadays....

Any ideas???

Put me on the list there. We have water on the allottment but would be
nice to be able to pump it up to the water butts in times of drought.

It`s full at the moment as you`d expect.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Mike

In article , Lee
writes
Dear all,
I am looking for a hand pump for water.

Our allotment has no running water and the water butts are nearly empty.
There is a stream nearby which has a small amount of stagnent water in it
but it is a good 5 mins walk away. What I need is a small hand powered water
pump that I can dump a hose into the water and pump the water up into the
rain barrels...
Tried everywhere, even farmers use petrol or electric pumps nowadays....

Any ideas???

http://www.westmarine.com

for all sorts of Bilge pumps. Highly portable, some with double action,
ie you pull the lever forward and it pumps push it back and it pumps
again.

West Marine also list Jabsco Pumps which are very highly recommended.

Hand Pumps. Electric Pumps. Motor Driven Pumps

Picturing how my late Father in Law's Allotment was, I would have a
double action mounted on a board with a portable hose to the butts or
barrels. The board would be wide enough to mount the pump and to get one
foot either side to steady it. Double action would make short work of
filling the barrel.

(I have fitted Electric and Hand Pumps on boats ranging from Admiral Cup
Racing Yachts to a Luxury Motor Cruiser 'Gin Palaces')

Mike

Old 03-07-2003, 04:45 AM
pronoun

Hi,

My idea is to fill four 'gallon' sized water bottles in an (existing)
wheeled trolley, and to pump the water directly on the plants. Initial
results look promising with just a couple of plastic pipes, and pipe
insulation for the piston etc. I hope to have a working model by the
weekend (fingers crossed).

. net...

Old 04-07-2003, 12:56 PM
shazzbat

"Mike" wrote in message
news
In article , Lee
writes
Dear all,
I am looking for a hand pump for water.

Our allotment has no running water and the water butts are nearly empty.
There is a stream nearby which has a small amount of stagnent water in it
but it is a good 5 mins walk away. What I need is a small hand powered

water
pump that I can dump a hose into the water and pump the water up into the
rain barrels...
Tried everywhere, even farmers use petrol or electric pumps nowadays....

Any ideas???

I would suggest keeping a lookout at car boots etc, for a stirrup pump.
These used to be a part of the fire point equipment at every place I was at
when in the army in the late 60s/70s. (also in the navy mike?)

It looks fairly obvious that it is a pump, it has a circular plate to put
your foot on, a metal tube which goes into your bucket, and a flexy pipe for
an outlet, and an up and down pumping handle a bit like a vertical bicycle
pump.

If you find two, I want one.

Steve

Old 04-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Lee

Yup, thought of that,

I've been looking for a long time!!!
Auctions, antique fairs, car boots.....

My Uncle George used to have a shed full when I was a boy, but unfortunately
when he died the house clearence guys swooped.......... pity.

I'll keep an eye out for another as well.......

Cheers

have a good weekend
Lee