Old 28-04-2015, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hand Pump

Old 28-04-2015, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 14:42:40 +0200, Michael Uplawski
wrote:

Good afternoon.

I am looking for a hand-pump, like the one in the
Wikipedia-article Hand Pump, or just like the image they use to
explain its details:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_p...nd_pump-en.svg

The one at http://www.unipump.co.uk/ looks similar.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 28-04-2015, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 14:45:47 +0100,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

The one at http://www.unipump.co.uk/ looks similar.

Impressive.., “NATO quality” hand pump. I have never seen this one; but
does anybody actually use that or knows of people, who do? I will cotact
the manufacturer, too, for some information.

Thans a lot for the links, so far.

Michael

--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
Old 28-04-2015, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Supersede - typos in the first edition.

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 14:45:47 +0100,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

The one at http://www.unipump.co.uk/ looks similar.

Impressive.., “NATO quality” hand pump. I have never seen this one; but
does anybody actually use that kind of pump or knows of people, who do?
I will contact the manufacturer, too, for some information.

Thanks a lot for the links, so far.

Michael

Old 28-04-2015, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/04/2015 14:59, Michael Uplawski wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 14:45:47 +0100,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

The one at http://www.unipump.co.uk/ looks similar.

Impressive.., “NATO quality” hand pump. I have never seen this one; but
does anybody actually use that or knows of people, who do? I will cotact
the manufacturer, too, for some information.

Thans a lot for the links, so far.

Michael

Google for
"chemicals hand pump uk"

For pumping chemicals the pump is likely to be a better construction.

Old 29-04-2015, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Good evening, all

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 22:15:22 +0100,
alan_m wrote:

Google for
"chemicals hand pump uk"

For pumping chemicals the pump is likely to be a better construction.

Thank you all for the responses, so far.

From the beginnig, I should have mentioned that I want to install the
pump permanently on our well. A hand pump (or just any kid of pump)
means an improvement over the bucket and winch that I am using right
now, but having learned to reduce our energy consumption drastically, I
do not feel like sacrificing first a considerable sum of money for a
motor pump, secondly a lot of petrol each time that I need to water my
plants.

I just have to fill up a big barrel from time to time.

sympathizing with the dark side, for me. ;-)

I had a contact with Unimpump today. They have some rotary pumps on
stock and I consider acquiring one of those, preferably via a local
vendor who should be interested, too.

Good night for now,

Michael
Old 30-04-2015, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 23:53:36 +0200, Michael Uplawski wrote:
vendor who should be interested, too.

Good night for now,

Hi Michael,

A local guy who might have what you want is Didier Beaufils in Radon, his
web site is http://www.harmoniedulogis.fr, there's a telephone # there.
Didn't see an old pump specifically, but he's got a huge amount of
stuff. Prices vary, but negotiation is possible.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 30-04-2015, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello Emery,

great to read you again. I admit, that I have had other things in mind
recently and could not follow “the news” much.

On 30 Apr 2015 09:57:03 GMT,
Emery Davis wrote:

A local guy who might have what you want is Didier Beaufils in Radon, his
web site is http://www.harmoniedulogis.fr, there's a telephone # there.

Radon is interesting, as you might know, for the local alternative- and
eco-scene and to find an artisan there is probably good news.

Didn't see an old pump specifically, but he's got a huge amount of
stuff. Prices vary, but negotiation is possible.

Okay, on the site there is, in deed, little sign of pumps but I will
call him up. I need to do that with « Normandie Pompes », too (Lonlay
l'Abbey), and be it to have their opinion on the rotary pumps from
England.

We are not yet pressed to complete an installation for the greenhouse,
but having all the tubes ready, a well which never dries out and ...
rainwater (of all choices) in ample supply, I begin to feel a little
dumb with my watering-cans. ;-)

[The poplar is feeling great, and all but one maple developped nice buds
and leaves. I had moved them outside a month or two ago, already.
Thanks again.]

Michael

Old 30-04-2015, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Michael Uplawski" wrote

alan_m wrote:

Google for
"chemicals hand pump uk"

For pumping chemicals the pump is likely to be a better construction.

Thank you all for the responses, so far.

From the beginnig, I should have mentioned that I want to install the
pump permanently on our well. A hand pump (or just any kid of pump)
means an improvement over the bucket and winch that I am using right
now, but having learned to reduce our energy consumption drastically, I
do not feel like sacrificing first a considerable sum of money for a
motor pump, secondly a lot of petrol each time that I need to water my
plants.

I just have to fill up a big barrel from time to time.

sympathizing with the dark side, for me. ;-)

I had a contact with Unimpump today. They have some rotary pumps on
stock and I consider acquiring one of those, preferably via a local
vendor who should be interested, too.

Have you thought of a Solar Powered Pump? Not sure what head they will draw
up but I know one gardener on our allotment site uses one to draw water from
the river that runs alongside which is at least 6ft down.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 30-04-2015, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 21:21:04 +0100,
Bob Hobden wrote:

Have you thought of a Solar Powered Pump?

The answer is (surprisingly for myself) YES. The trouble is that I only
know what I could find on the Web, and on people with real knowledge.
For the time, I consider solar powered pumps too “exotic”. In our
sparsely populated area you will find about zero experience with this
technology.

Not sure what head they will draw
up but I know one gardener on our allotment site uses one to draw water from
the river that runs alongside which is at least 6ft down.

During the driest period that I have seen in Normandy (there weren't
many), the water level in our well was at about 4 meters (13.12ft)
below ground level. The total depth of the well is 7.40m (24.27ft). There
may be a lot of mud at the bottom which I should get out some day. Only
submersible pumps can lift water from a depth of more than about 7.40m.

The solar pumps that I can find information about, are meant to work on
shallow wells or, in deed, springs and rivers.

But there is another system which is a little more interesting: We often
pass pastures where water pumps are more or less continuously driven by
windmills and thus ensure that the kettle always has some water at its
disposal. But upon taking a closer look at the pump, it just looks like
any ol' hand pump and not even the rotary type. I will not go so far as
to install a windmill, though. We rather want a wind power-station some
day and be even more flexible that way.

A solar pump, however, could pump water from a voluminous rain-water
cistern. We won't do everything... ;-)

Michael

Old 30-04-2015, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Supersede, missing wordSupersede, missing word..

Bob Hobden wrote:

Have you thought of a Solar Powered Pump?

The answer is (surprisingly for myself) YES. The trouble is that I only
know what I could find on the Web, and depend on people with real

Old 01-05-2015, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 15:59:05 +0200, Michael Uplawski wrote:

Hello Emery,

[]
Radon is interesting, as you might know, for the local alternative- and
eco-scene and to find an artisan there is probably good news.

Yes indeed, eco-scene is a good word. I wonder in passing if you know
Olivier Dadure? He's very involved in the "alternative economy"
gardening scene, his association is "le petit jardin des écoliers", site
at http://lepetitjardin22.canalblog.com/. There's a "troc" this coming
Sunday at la Ferté-Frensnel, I see.

Olivier sent me a link to a recent article on him in Le Reveil (he's near
Courtomer): http://www.lereveilnormand.fr/2015/0...arer-recycler-
echanger-et-partager/ Might be of interest to you.

Didn't see an old pump specifically, but he's got a huge amount of
stuff. Prices vary, but negotiation is possible.

Okay, on the site there is, in deed, little sign of pumps but I will
call him up. I need to do that with « Normandie Pompes », too (Lonlay
l'Abbey), and be it to have their opinion on the rotary pumps from
England.

Remember this guy is an old-time brocanteur though, so hold on to your
wallet!

We are not yet pressed to complete an installation for the greenhouse,
but having all the tubes ready, a well which never dries out and ...
rainwater (of all choices) in ample supply, I begin to feel a little
dumb with my watering-cans. ;-)

Heh. I know what you mean!

[The poplar is feeling great, and all but one maple developped nice buds
and leaves. I had moved them outside a month or two ago, already. Thanks
again.]

Glad the plants are going. Did you get them in the ground? I planted
the remaining Purdom's poplars I had rooted, as well as the beginnings
for a Japanese maple hedge (10 upright with good fall colours to start),
all seem to be alive... If you want any replacement maples for what
died, just let me know.

cheers,

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 02-05-2015, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Good morning

On 1 May 2015 11:23:35 GMT,
Emery Davis wrote:
[]
Radon is interesting, as you might know, for the local alternative- and
eco-scene and to find an artisan there is probably good news.

Yes indeed, eco-scene is a good word. I wonder in passing if you know
Olivier Dadure? He's very involved in the "alternative economy"
gardening scene, his association is "le petit jardin des écoliers", site
at http://lepetitjardin22.canalblog.com/. There's a "troc" this coming
Sunday at la Ferté-Frensnel, I see.

Very nice. I need to collect all those references. Apart from the few
regulars that you meet on all the eco-festivals and bio-markets, most
people have the impression that our region is basically “empty” (bereft
of about “all”). And trying to arrange an identity for myself in two
parallel universes at the same time, I am one of them, half of the day.
Finding *new* stuff here and there, helps. ;-)

By the way, today, we are at Loré for the « appel du bois Normand ».

Okay, on the site there is, in deed, little sign of pumps but I will
call him up. I need to do that with « Normandie Pompes », too (Lonlay
l'Abbey), and be it to have their opinion on the rotary pumps from
England.

Remember this guy is an old-time brocanteur though, so hold on to your
wallet!

Okay, thanks.

Glad the plants are going. Did you get them in the ground? I planted
the remaining Purdom's poplars I had rooted, as well as the beginnings
for a Japanese maple hedge (10 upright with good fall colours to start),
all seem to be alive... If you want any replacement maples for what
died, just let me know.

I would rather wait for fall to finally plant the maples. We have lost
brushes in the inner hedge that we plant as a second rampart against
the chemicals from the fields, and the placement for the maples needs
some startegical planning. I will choose one of the new gaps when I am
sure that the other plants are well installed and protected
against the hare (jack rabbit) which has found our terrain. I had to add
fencing around the young fruit trees and treat some nibbled barks. Trees
of the current size of the maples have completely disappeared.
I haven't seen any deers, yet, nor « chevreuilles ».

Have a nice week-end,

MIchael

cheers,

-E

Old 03-05-2015, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/04/2015 22:53, Michael Uplawski wrote:
From the beginnig, I should have mentioned that I want to install the
pump permanently on our well. A hand pump (or just any kid of pump)
means an improvement over the bucket and winch that I am using right
now, but having learned to reduce our energy consumption drastically, I
do not feel like sacrificing first a considerable sum of money for a
motor pump, secondly a lot of petrol each time that I need to water my
plants.

I'd check them out before you spend too much money.

My experience is with much smaller distance to the water. I sail boats,
and there's a saying "The best pump is a frightened man with a bucket".
We have a few small pumps for getting water out of the bottom of boats.
When there's only a few cm a bucket wouldn't work; but they seem to need
a lot of effort for not much water.

There's probably a good reason why village wells seem to have pumps - I
imagine the big ones are better than a bucket and rope.

Andy
Old 03-05-2015, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/05/2015 21:24, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 03 May 2015 21:13:17 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

My experience is with much smaller distance to the water. I sail boats,
and there's a saying "The best pump is a frightened man with a bucket".
We have a few small pumps for getting water out of the bottom of boats.
When there's only a few cm a bucket wouldn't work; but they seem to need
a lot of effort for not much water.

With only a few cm, a dustpan can be a more effective baler than a
bucket.

When we lived outside Hastings we had a borehole that we got our water
from, together with rainwater.
It went into a large underground tank under the garage, it was then
pumped up to tanks in the loft either by an electric pump or if there
was trouble with it then with a rotary hand pump like those shown here..
https://www.drain-systems.co.uk/pump...ary-hand-pumps
Easy to use and shifted water quite quickly.
David @ a rainy side of Swansea Bay

Where to find hand pump for well? Zootal[_3_] Gardening 10 26-04-2008 03:38 AM
Teens and Abortion; Hand in Hand?: Is It the Answer? Michael Calwell Ponds 12 20-05-2005 02:00 AM
Hand water pump Lee United Kingdom 12 04-07-2003 04:09 PM
pulser pump video (Simplest pump in the world) Brian White sci.agriculture 24 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
pulser pump video (Simplest pump in the world) Oz sci.agriculture 13 18-02-2003 05:42 AM