Old 08-07-2003, 11:42 PM
Arthur

Default Blanket Weed

After 15 years with no problems, our small pond has suddenly become heavily
infested with blanket weed. We pull out armfulls but it grows back in a
few days. I've seen remedies advertised but I would first like to hear
from someone who has tried them. We have lots of wildlife and I don't want
to harm anything. Apart from the blanket weed the water is clear and
healthy.

- Arthur

Old 10-07-2003, 06:25 PM
David Hickman

After 15 years with no problems, our small pond has suddenly become
heavily
infested with blanket weed. We pull out armfulls but it grows back in a
few days. I've seen remedies advertised but I would first like to hear
from someone who has tried them. We have lots of wildlife and I don't

want
to harm anything. Apart from the blanket weed the water is clear and
healthy.

- Arthur

Arthur
I have used two products which claim to get rid of blanket weed
both of which seem to work very well. we have an 800 gallon pond with
a 8 yard stream and both can get very clogged with blanket weed.
you have to get as much out as you can by hand before you treat the pond
or it will all die and rot in the water.
we have lots of wildlife and plants, and none seem to be harmed by the
treatment.

I am work now and can't remember the name of the products. I will be in
contact again
when I find out

Dave H

Old 10-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Arthur

Thank you David, I would be very pleased to hear which products you used.
I wonder why you tried two and if they gave different results?

- Arthur

Old 10-07-2003, 09:57 PM
pip

"Arthur" wrote in message ...
After 15 years with no problems, our small pond has suddenly become heavily
infested with blanket weed. We pull out armfulls but it grows back in a
few days. I've seen remedies advertised but I would first like to hear
from someone who has tried them. We have lots of wildlife and I don't want
to harm anything. Apart from the blanket weed the water is clear and
healthy.

- Arthur

I used to work in the pet retail trade and used to sell a product
called 'Pure Magic' by a company called Vivelle. It is a fibrous
matting originally designed by ICI, I think for filtering bacteria in
hospital air conditioning! and was tested as a possible pond filter
media by some large aquatic retailers. Many of them reported that when
the product was used, blanket weed appeared to just 'break up' and
die. Many of my customers also reported this unexpected phenomenon,
which obviously helped my repeat sales. Unfortunately, the shop where
I worked was the only outlet I have ever seen the product. If you
e-mail me I will be happy to give you the telephone number and/or
address and maybe they could post some to you. The matting comes in
two grades - on you can wash, one you can't, and would sit as the
last-but-two and the last stages in a standard filter box. Oh, it is
of course chemical free and therefore perfectly safe. I am actually a
fish-farmer now, and not an agent for Vivelle 'Pure Magic, as this
thread may suggest!!
Old 13-07-2003, 01:08 PM
MCALLISTERMACA48

i bought some barley straw as suggested on gardeners world and it has worked
for me. it took a while for it to clear up but it done the job.

Blanket Weed (long post) David Hickman United Kingdom 3 11-07-2003 09:57 PM
Blanket weed David Williams Ponds (alternative) 8 30-06-2003 07:56 PM
Blanket weed stacey Ponds 2 30-06-2003 12:20 AM
Blanket weed as/is a veggie filter plant Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 2 27-04-2003 03:20 AM
Blanket weed on my baby water lilies eric United Kingdom 2 22-03-2003 07:32 PM