Old 14-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Does anyone use EBAY?

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:24:27 +0100, Mark wrote:

People on Ebay will quite cheerfully buy anything you would wish to
sell - a picture works a treat - folks want to see what they are
buying as anyone would.

Reserves are all well and good but annoying as it rather negates any
sense of getting a bargain. If it's worth a tenner then the chances
are it will sell for a tenner. Apart from the odd items I start all
my auctions at a pound and take a chance. Nevermind bidding it's as
exciting taking the chance someone will bid your item to it's true
value. :-)

Actually, the economic definition of value is "what buyers are
willing to pay", with some supplementary guff about willingness,
being informed, adequate market exposure, etc. Ebay is probably
the purest free market around in this sense.

Unhappiness emerges when someone thinks their goods are worth
more than what the rest of the world thinks. But what the seller
thinks a thing's worth is not its economic value...

I sometimes have suspected that ebay auctions with a low starting
bid and no reserve tend to reach a higher final price level than
those with higher starting bids and/or reserve amounts.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 14-07-2003, 08:53 PM
Rod

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in message
I sometimes have suspected that ebay auctions with a low starting bid and no reserve tend to reach a higher final

price level than those with higher starting bids and/or reserve amounts.

Yes, that's probably true but it's a risky balancing act if it's an expensive item you're trying to sell. On big items I
tend to list with no reserve and to pitch the starting bid at a level that wouldn't disappoint me too much if nobody
went higher. Low start and no reserve for lower value items.

Rod

Old 14-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Conrad Edwards

Tim Tyler wrote in message ...
Rod Hewitt wrote:

: I suggest that you look at alt.marketing.online.ebay - read for a
: while and you might get some very helpful information. Rather a busy
: group so a lot to ignore :-)

There's also: uk.people.consumers.ebay

Ebay listings prices have gone up recently, so check how much you'd
pay in charges.
I find that 'Buy-It-Now' is useful for shifting stuff quick so people
don't have to wait so many days for the auction to end.
If you've a lot of stock to shift, it might get laborious to have to
track each and every auction, reply, wait for money etc.....
Old 22-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Jason Pope

amanda pope wrote:
I am refitting my warehouse and need to clear out the stock to do this.

Someone suggested I auction it on EBAY. Does anyone use it and is it a good
place to sell water garden equipment.
or should I just discount it on our own website.

www.arghamvillage.co.uk

I use ebay quite a bit, get some good gardening bargains there!

Jason

Old 23-07-2003, 01:34 AM
Rich

"Jason Pope" wrote in message
amanda pope wrote:
I am refitting my warehouse and need to clear out the stock to do this.

Someone suggested I auction it on EBAY. Does anyone use it and is it a

good
place to sell water garden equipment.
or should I just discount it on our own website.

www.arghamvillage.co.uk

I use ebay quite a bit, get some good gardening bargains there!

Jason

I use ebay a lot... the answer is yes, just set sensible reserve prices.

http://www.richdavies.com/cams.htm