Old 17-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Kay Easton

Default harvesting rhubarb

In article , martin
writes

the amount in the leaves kills all bacteria in compost bins and stops
composting working. It cleans aluminium pans and I think it can also
kill humans?? Never put rhubard leaves in a compost bin.

Well, I always have done, with no problem. It rots down quite nicely.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 17-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Alan Gould

In article , martin
writes

the amount in the leaves kills all bacteria in compost bins and stops
composting working. It cleans aluminium pans and I think it can also
kill humans?? Never put rhubard leaves in a compost bin.

We compost all our rhubarb leaves and surplus, damaged or flowering
stems. I have never noticed any lack of bacterial activity in our
compost heaps through doing that.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 17-07-2003, 08:47 PM
martin

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:45:37 +0100, Alan Gould
wrote:

In article , martin
writes

the amount in the leaves kills all bacteria in compost bins and stops
composting working. It cleans aluminium pans and I think it can also
kill humans?? Never put rhubard leaves in a compost bin.

We compost all our rhubarb leaves and surplus, damaged or flowering
stems. I have never noticed any lack of bacterial activity in our
compost heaps through doing that.

http://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/adv...Composting.htm

"Rhubarb leaves - There are at least two points of view on the
composting of rhubarb leaves. One suggests not to compost rhubarb
leaves because they contain chemicals, which may be toxic to organisms
in the soil. The other point of view suggests that the oxalic acid
released by decomposition will lower pH and inhibit microbial
activity, but that as long as the rhubarb leaves are mixed with other
materials and as long as not too many are added at any one time, they
are an acceptable composting."

and

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Member_Advice_...Review_5336345
"Any green matter can go in, but avoid putting in anything too woody
(unless you shred it first) or poisonous (Rhubarb leaves for example)
I also avoid putting anything jaggy in, such as thorn twigs and holly
leaves, and weeds with roots or seeds."

--
martin
Old 18-07-2003, 03:53 AM
Dwayne

"shannie" wrote in message

Thanks David,
We harvested a little bit. I didn't like it, it was waaaaayyyyy too tart

for
me, but my partner was in raptures, as you say it's a personal preference.
Was nice to be able to try it at least

When it gets tough, cook it longer. If it is too tart, add more sugar, or
blend it with something else such as strawberries. We planted ours last
fall and harvested about 30 percent of it this spring. Then we went to
neighbors who didn't use their rhubarb and got permission to pick theirs.
We just picked a large amount Wednesday and it was great in a cobbler.

Have fun. Dwayne