Old 16-07-2003, 04:34 PM
Janet Sanderson

Default Lime Trees

I have a friend with a swimming pool, and her next door neighbour has
planted a row of lime trees allong the South West side of it. They are
now about 15 foot high, well blocking the light and exuding sticky
stuff all over the pool. Anyone any suggestions?

I have suggested inviting him round for a swim when the light is
blocked and it is getting cold, but I think he may be deaf in that
proverbial ear!

Thanks
Janet (who adores the smell of Limes at this time of the year)
Old 16-07-2003, 05:07 PM
Mike

In article , Janet Sanderson
writes
I have a friend with a swimming pool, and her next door neighbour has
planted a row of lime trees allong the South West side of it. They are
now about 15 foot high, well blocking the light and exuding sticky
stuff all over the pool. Anyone any suggestions?

I have suggested inviting him round for a swim when the light is
blocked and it is getting cold, but I think he may be deaf in that
proverbial ear!

Thanks
Janet (who adores the smell of Limes at this time of the year)

I would have thought that the sticky stuff from the neighbour is = to
bonfire smoke and could be termed 'nuisance'. Whilst it is not an
offence to have a bonfire, just as it is not an offence to plant Limes,
the nuisance factor comes in.

Perhaps the neighbour might like to pay for a 'Weekly Contract Pool
Cleaner' to come in and clean the pool ;-)

Mike

British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more
National Service (RAF) Association Scarborough. Nov 7th - 10th (Nearly Full)

Old 16-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Janet Sanderson

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:57:04 +0100, Mike
wrote:

Thanks Mike,
I hear what you say, I actually like the trees, but don't know who in
their right mind would plant them in that position. Both suggestions
very helpful and will pass them on,
Janet
In article , Janet Sanderson
writes
I have a friend with a swimming pool, and her next door neighbour has
planted a row of lime trees allong the South West side of it. They are
now about 15 foot high, well blocking the light and exuding sticky
stuff all over the pool. Anyone any suggestions?

I have suggested inviting him round for a swim when the light is
blocked and it is getting cold, but I think he may be deaf in that
proverbial ear!

Thanks
Janet (who adores the smell of Limes at this time of the year)

Found in the RHS New Encyclopaedia of Plants and Flowers. Page 703

"trees are usually attacked by aphids, which cover growth and ground
beneath with sticky honeydew"

So it might be an idea to have a quiet word in his ear about spraying
his 'problem trees' before they are damaged too much ;-) 'because you
would hate to lose them!!'. I know 'you' wouldn't. but . . . . . . ;-)

Old 17-07-2003, 12:43 AM
David Hill

".... So it might be an idea to have a quiet word in his ear about spraying
his 'problem trees' before they are damaged too much ........"

Just think of all that spray drift over the pool.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 17-07-2003, 12:43 AM
bnd777

Could be your swimming pool friend makes a hell of a lot of noise in the
pool and the neighbour is equally unhappy
Sometimes theres 2 sides to the problem .......i do not say it condones
planting Lime trees because I know several very distressed people in a
similar situation and they do not have swimming pools either

news

Old 17-07-2003, 09:46 AM
Janet Sanderson

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:24:50 +0000 (UTC), "bnd777"
wrote:

Could be your swimming pool friend makes a hell of a lot of noise in the
pool and the neighbour is equally unhappy
Sometimes theres 2 sides to the problem .......i do not say it condones
planting Lime trees because I know several very distressed people in a
similar situation and they do not have swimming pools either

Point taken, but not the case, her 2 daughters are very quiet, very
intense swimmers, the pool is a work tool for their racing activities,
and even if they were on occasions noisy, the grounds of both houses
are so large it would make little difference.

Update is plan "A" was put to work yesterday, and the neighbours
brought their grandchildren up for a swim late afternoon. Within 3
minutes, they saw the problem and agreed to the trees to be
pruned.However not too sure how this could be done on a close planted
row of Lime trees which are 20 foot high.

Thanks
Janet

Old 17-07-2003, 10:34 AM
Mike

In article , Janet Sanderson
writes

Update is plan "A" was put to work yesterday, and the neighbours
brought their grandchildren up for a swim late afternoon. Within 3
minutes, they saw the problem and agreed to the trees to be
pruned.However not too sure how this could be done on a close planted
row of Lime trees which are 20 foot high.

We have a site where many trees are being cut back, felled and in
general being restored to a recreation area. A 20 ft high tree doesn't
present too much of a problem to a tree surgeon. We have then 'walking'
up the trunks, out on to a branch and cutting back and some of these are
50 ft high.

One row of trees we have taken out, now lets the sun into about a dozen
gardens and we are the best thing since sliced bread. One lady is a bit
upset, a Horse Chestnut keeps her house and garden in the shade all the
time, and there is a TPO on it :-(( "Why does everybody else's trees
come out except mine?" we are seeking advice and seeing if we can take
it out. She is not the only neighbour to express their concerns.

By the way, any Isle of Wight readers who want some logs and has their
own chain saw? We are felling about 20 trees, mostly split and rotten
through lack of care and pruning, yours for the taking. Contact me for
access and times. You will need a big trailer, make many journeys and
will need a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

Holm Oak, Sycamore, Elm (Diseased), Pine, Willow, other, and possibly a
Horse Chestnut :-))

Old 17-07-2003, 01:02 PM
John Towill

wrote:

[...]

Just hope that another neighbour does not apply for a tree preservation
order, no one will be able to do much about it then.
I know, as to my regret I have three very large lime trees on my property
with preservation orders on. :-(
Cheers
John T