Old 20-07-2003, 08:04 PM
Rusty Hinge

Default Fairy Ring .....Help !!!!! please

The message
from Kate Morgan contains these words:

snip

There was a thread about Fairy Rings some time ago, some of the men on
the group opted for standing in the middle and wishing for Charlie
Dimmock, is she still a favourite I wonder.

I think someone tried it and foun they'd boobed.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.
Old 20-07-2003, 08:38 PM
Paul Kelly

In ,
Rusty Hinge typed:
The message
from Kate Morgan contains these words:

snip

There was a thread about Fairy Rings some time ago, some of the men
on the group opted for standing in the middle and wishing for Charlie
Dimmock, is she still a favourite I wonder.

I think someone tried it and foun they'd boobed.

Reminds me about a joke involving a Magic lantern and a 12inch Piano
player.....

pk

Old 21-07-2003, 10:22 AM
Stephen Howard

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:48:38 +0100, Rusty Hinge
wrote:

Sounds like Merasmius oreades. Don't eat them raw, but they are
excellent cooked in stews, or fried. They dry brilliantly, and on
rehydration are indistinguishable from fresh - apart from the absence of
the bitter almond smell.

Fairy ring Champignon?
Errr, no it doesn't.
The op mentions small, brown roundheaded toadstools.
M. Oredeades spans about two inches max, and is distinctly buff in
colour with a small umbo ( central dome ). Most people would refer to
it as being white in its early stages.

Just make sure they *ARE* Merasmius oreades, and keep the area well
watered and thank The Lord for the natural harvest.

....and hope to whichever god you believe in that you don't them mixed
up with one of the very similar looking Clitocybes.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 21-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:
wrote:

Sounds like Merasmius oreades. Don't eat them raw, but they are
excellent cooked in stews, or fried. They dry brilliantly, and on
rehydration are indistinguishable from fresh - apart from the absence of
the bitter almond smell.

Fairy ring Champignon?
Errr, no it doesn't.
The op mentions small, brown roundheaded toadstools.

Which is how M. oreades appears.

M. Oredeades spans about two inches max, and is distinctly buff in
colour with a small umbo ( central dome ). Most people would refer to
it as being white in its early stages.

Buff, brown, whatever, I always give some latitude for colour as a very
high proportion of men are colour blind to some extent.

However, I would never refer to the fruit bodies as white at any stage
of their development above ground.

Just make sure they *ARE* Merasmius oreades, and keep the area well
watered and thank The Lord for the natural harvest.

...and hope to whichever god you believe in that you don't them mixed
up with one of the very similar looking Clitocybes.

Most of which are either harmless or edible, though C. rivulosa is
deadly. Personally though, I can't see how anyone who knows M. oreades
could possibly confuse the two, despite many good handbooks warning of
the possibility. (I've been eating M.oreades since 1950 or thereabouts,
and I think I'm still alive.)

Old 21-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:07:55 +0100, Rusty Hinge
wrote:

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

Fairy ring Champignon?
Errr, no it doesn't.
The op mentions small, brown roundheaded toadstools.

Which is how M. oreades appears.

It might appear like that, but the op states this as a recurring
problem - so one would expect that the description applies to the
mature specimen.

M. Oredeades spans about two inches max, and is distinctly buff in
colour with a small umbo ( central dome ). Most people would refer to
it as being white in its early stages.

Buff, brown, whatever, I always give some latitude for colour as a very
high proportion of men are colour blind to some extent.

However, I would never refer to the fruit bodies as white at any stage
of their development above ground.

I've seen them pretty close to cream - typically when a hot spell
follows the arrival of the fruiting bodies - but very few people would
have much trouble distinguishing them from a definitely brown fungus.

I'd bet ten bob they're one of the Hygrocybes, with half a crown on
the side for an Enteloma.

Just make sure they *ARE* Merasmius oreades, and keep the area well
watered and thank The Lord for the natural harvest.

...and hope to whichever god you believe in that you don't them mixed
up with one of the very similar looking Clitocybes.

Most of which are either harmless or edible, though C. rivulosa is
deadly. Personally though, I can't see how anyone who knows M. oreades
could possibly confuse the two, despite many good handbooks warning of
the possibility. (I've been eating M.oreades since 1950 or thereabouts,
and I think I'm still alive.)

Always look for the nipple
Bet few men would have any problems there!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 21-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Rusty Hinge
writes
Most of which are either harmless or edible, though C. rivulosa is
deadly. Personally though, I can't see how anyone who knows M. oreades
could possibly confuse the two, despite many good handbooks warning of
the possibility. (I've been eating M.oreades since 1950 or thereabouts,
and I think I'm still alive.)

Well, that's the key, isn't it?
anyone who knows M. oreades

- we're talking here about someone who isn't quite sure whether or not
it is a fairy ring mushroom, and who probably couldn't tell their
Boletus from their Agaricus ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 24-07-2003, 10:49 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:
In article , Rusty Hinge
writes
Most of which are either harmless or edible, though C. rivulosa is
deadly. Personally though, I can't see how anyone who knows M. oreades
could possibly confuse the two, despite many good handbooks warning of
the possibility. (I've been eating M.oreades since 1950 or thereabouts,
and I think I'm still alive.)

Well, that's the key, isn't it?
anyone who knows M. oreades

- we're talking here about someone who isn't quite sure whether or not
it is a fairy ring mushroom, and who probably couldn't tell their
Boletus from their Agaricus ;-)

/\
You will note that / \ up there somewhere I said to make sure they were
M. oreades, and ¯||¯ further, mentioned the availability of
handbooks. My first trial was using Dr. John Ramsbottom's excellent Book
in the New Naturalist series, Mushrooms and Toadstools (which I chose as
a prize at school).

Nowadays I would recommend Roger Phillips' book 'Mushrooms and Other
Fungi of Great Britain and Europe', (Macmillan), ISBN 0 330 26441 9

Old 08-11-2004, 09:47 AM
Registered User

Smile

helo martin r u buff?

lots of luv im gay

Fairy Ring simonrepro Lawns 9 25-02-2011 06:22 PM
FAIRY RING FUNGI or MUSHROOM Japhy Gardening 3 10-06-2006 12:37 AM
Mushrooms, fairy ring, dead(ish) grass. David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 4 22-05-2004 03:05 AM
More fairy ring identification please Kay Easton United Kingdom 5 16-10-2003 10:02 PM
Ring on my lawn sti3402 Gardening 6 13-05-2003 04:32 PM