Old 19-07-2003, 09:13 PM

Default Fairy Ring .....Help !!!!! please

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 17:27:12 +0200, martin wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:12:34 +0000 (UTC), "bnd777"
wrote:

I would be tempted to blame aliens, spiders,concrete in fact anything if I
could find out what
having dug down 12 inches and found nothing and since it was a plant nursery
before our house was built 28 yrs ago and there certainly was no concrete
when the earth moving and landscape people did the patio i am beginning to
think that its something leaching up into the top soil although its mighty
odd that its only happened in last 4 or 5 years
Anyone know any experts on this kind of thing I could get to do some tests

Have you tried putting your post code into www.undermystreet.co.uk if
it still works?

http://www.homecheck.co.uk will do something similar.
--
Stuart Baldwin
news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk
Old 20-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Essjay001

martin wrote:
I think there is concrete under the lawn.

But that shouldn't affect the grass because as he said he has taken out 12
inches of topsoil and replaced it with new

--

Steve R

---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

Old 20-07-2003, 01:52 AM
Essjay001

bnd777 wrote:
I would be tempted to blame aliens, spiders,concrete in fact anything
if I could find out what
having dug down 12 inches and found nothing and since it was a plant
nursery before our house was built 28 yrs ago and there certainly was
no concrete when the earth moving and landscape people did the patio
i am beginning to think that its something leaching up into the top
soil although its mighty odd that its only happened in last 4 or 5
years Anyone know any experts on this kind of thing I could get to do
some tests

An Uncle of mine had his house bought by an oil company, at the full market
price, on the condition he did not disclose the reason they bought it. Do
you live near Birmingham?
Steve R

---

Old 20-07-2003, 02:23 AM
shannie

"bnd777" wrote in message
Seem to have a Fairy ring on my lawn
Large horseshoe shape of lawn that no matter what I do the grass dies
it does get clutches small brown roundheaded toadstools on it from time to
time but is not heavily infested
Have dug out all the turf and soil to 12 inches and replaced with fresh

soil
and turf this spring and it looked fine but now its all dead again
same thing for last few years
Have watered with Armillotox
Have checked for chafer grubs

IDEAS ANYONE

We have a similar problem with our 'lawn' Well, it's not considered lawn
here as it's planted with field grass and there's well over half an acre to
be cut twice a week! However, we have a largish area about three ft sq thats
very like what you describe. The extension was put on the house 30yrs ago
and a separate soak away and septic tank installed. The septic tank deals
with toilet waste and has its own soak away waaaayyyy off down the end of
the garden, however the soakaway for the showers, baths, washing machines
etc is right in the middle of the area thats dying off. (I found this out by
getting plans of the rebuilding, tho this was not easy!) Perhaps if you have
a soakaway it's not working as efficiently as if once was, hence the problem
only arising withing the past 5yrs or so. I was advised to stop using heavy
chemical cleaners and bleaches and this helped but as disinfectant and
bleaches have to be used once in a while it's a problem thats just not going
to go away unless I get a deeper more effecient soakaway put in...not much
help to you, but something to consider looking into?

Shannie

Old 20-07-2003, 08:15 AM
martin

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 00:40:13 +0000 (UTC), "Essjay001"
wrote:

martin wrote:
I think there is concrete under the lawn.

But that shouldn't affect the grass because as he said he has taken out 12
inches of topsoil and replaced it with new

It would make the ground dryer above the concrete.
--
martin
Old 20-07-2003, 09:12 AM
bnd777

Appreciate the idea of a soakaway etc but no all our waste and rainwater
goes out to road
Like I said our garden was originally part of a large plant nursery which
had been defunct for years before we bought the barren plot of land

this has to be either something coming up from very deep in the soil or its
some fungi or insect damage or equivalent

Old 20-07-2003, 09:12 AM
martin

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 07:32:30 +0000 (UTC), "bnd777"
wrote:

Appreciate the idea of a soakaway etc but no all our waste and rainwater
goes out to road
Like I said our garden was originally part of a large plant nursery which
had been defunct for years before we bought the barren plot of land

this has to be either something coming up from very deep in the soil or its
some fungi or insect damage or equivalent

We had a similar problem that was caused by a leaking gas pipe.
--
martin

Old 20-07-2003, 11:33 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "shannie" contains these words:

We have a similar problem with our 'lawn' Well, it's not considered lawn
here as it's planted with field grass and there's well over half an acre to
be cut twice a week! However, we have a largish area about three ft sq thats
very like what you describe. The extension was put on the house 30yrs ago
and a separate soak away and septic tank installed. The septic tank deals
with toilet waste and has its own soak away waaaayyyy off down the end of
the garden, however the soakaway for the showers, baths, washing machines
etc is right in the middle of the area thats dying off.

It will. Washing ppowders contain borax, which is an efficient
herbicide. I believe it is possible to get washing powders which are
soakaway-friendly, though.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.
Old 20-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Kate Morgan

snip

There was a thread about Fairy Rings some time ago, some of the men on
the group opted for standing in the middle and wishing for Charlie
Dimmock, is she still a favourite I wonder.
kate
Old 20-07-2003, 07:53 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Kate Morgan contains these words:

snip

There was a thread about Fairy Rings some time ago, some of the men on
the group opted for standing in the middle and wishing for Charlie
Dimmock, is she still a favourite I wonder.

I think someone tried it and foun they'd boobed.

Fairy Ring simonrepro Lawns 9 25-02-2011 06:22 PM
FAIRY RING FUNGI or MUSHROOM Japhy Gardening 3 10-06-2006 12:37 AM
Mushrooms, fairy ring, dead(ish) grass. David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 4 22-05-2004 03:05 AM
More fairy ring identification please Kay Easton United Kingdom 5 16-10-2003 10:02 PM
Ring on my lawn sti3402 Gardening 6 13-05-2003 04:32 PM