Old 26-07-2003, 06:35 PM
Ron

Default Runner beans

Urglers,

There's been lots of guff written on and off the subject BUT hardly anybody
has told me of a runner bean with tons of flavour.

P L E A S E stop waffling and give me your recommendation.

Regards

Ron

Old 26-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Ron
writes
Urglers,

There's been lots of guff written on and off the subject BUT hardly anybody
has told me of a runner bean with tons of flavour.

P L E A S E stop waffling and give me your recommendation.

Flavour depends more upon plant management than variety. We grow ours on
good healthy soil, following brassicas without any added nutrients. We
only water them if there is a drought. That way they grow more slowly,
thus they have more opportunity to develop good flavour at an early
stage while they are still tender. [We have not had them with waffles,
but it's an idea worth trying.]

We consider that big knobbly pods with hardening bean-seeds in them are
only fit for the compost heap. We are picking, eating and freezing young
runner beans every day at present. I can't tell you the variety, we save
our own seed each year and it's a long time since we bought new ones.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 27-07-2003, 12:02 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Ron" contains these words:

Urglers,

There's been lots of guff written on and off the subject BUT hardly anybody
has told me of a runner bean with tons of flavour.

P L E A S E stop waffling and give me your recommendation.

Scarlet Emperor.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.
Old 27-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Peter Coddington

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Ron" contains these words:

Urglers,

There's been lots of guff written on and off the subject BUT

hardly anybody
has told me of a runner bean with tons of flavour.

P L E A S E stop waffling and give me your recommendation.

Scarlet Emperor.

--
Rusty

horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p

to reply.
Ron.
You must accept that the flavour or taste of any vegetables is down
to the individual.. What is good for the goose may not be good for the
gander, (as they say.)
I can only suggest you try all the varieties and decided for yourself
which to grow in future years. Like others have mentioned( and me) you
can save 'pods' of those you prefer for the following season..
I like them all home grown ones.
Peter.

Old 27-07-2003, 01:03 PM
John Towill

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Ron" contains these words:

Urglers,

There's been lots of guff written on and off the subject BUT hardly

anybody
has told me of a runner bean with tons of flavour.

P L E A S E stop waffling and give me your recommendation.

Scarlet Emperor.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

I'll second that.
Cheers
John T

Old 28-07-2003, 11:03 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Peter Coddington" contains
these words:

You must accept that the flavour or taste of any vegetables is down
to the individual.. What is good for the goose may not be good for the
gander, (as they say.)
I can only suggest you try all the varieties and decided for yourself
which to grow in future years. Like others have mentioned( and me) you
can save 'pods' of those you prefer for the following season..
I like them all home grown ones.

However, if you grow more than one variety you may well get an hybrid
because of cross-pollination, and the beans from the new plants may not
be the same as the beans from the originals.

So:

Before the first frosts, dig up carefully all the roots of the beans you
like best, leaving several inches of stem.

Store these over winter in dry sand in a plastic tub or sack. Keep cool,
but protect from frost.

Plant the roots out when you would be planting out beans or seedlings.

You will get several vines from each root, and beans before any grown
from seed.

In dry weather give the flowers a spray-mist to help them set. (Applies
to any runner beans.)

Old 29-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Peter Coddington

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Peter Coddington"

contains
these words:

You must accept that the flavour or taste of any vegetables is

down
to the individual.. What is good for the goose may not be good for

the
gander, (as they say.)
I can only suggest you try all the varieties and decided for

yourself
which to grow in future years.

Rusty replied.
[...]

A good point re cross pollination. I have never heard or read about
saving roots and some stem.(apart from leaving the roots in the
ground)
I will give it a go at the end of the season and see if I can
overwinter them.
Peter.

Old 30-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Roy Bailey

In article , Ron
writes
Urglers,

There's been lots of guff written on and off the subject BUT hardly anybody
has told me of a runner bean with tons of flavour.

P L E A S E stop waffling and give me your recommendation.

Can't you read? I said Enorma (grown organically, of course.)
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 01-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Ron

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from Roy Bailey contains these words:

Can't you read? I said Enorma (grown organically, of course.)

Now, now! While your reply may have been picked up by your server (and
mine), there's no guarantee that it arrived on Ron's mousemat.

It didn't, and anyway, I was hoping for no waffle and if he didn't waffle
then, why waffle now?!

Ron

Old 01-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rusty Hinge writes:
| The message
| from "Peter Coddington" peter (No
| contains these words:
|
| A good point re cross pollination. I have never heard or read about
| saving roots and some stem.(apart from leaving the roots in the
| ground)
| I will give it a go at the end of the season and see if I can
| overwinter them.
|
| I packed a ten gallon plastic tub with roots last year, and every one
| was viable in the spring. I found that I hadn't left enough stem on some
| of them and the ones I cut right back took an extra month or so to
| shoot.
|
| Those with a couple of inches of stem (and buds!) were away within a
| week or so.

I left some in the ground a year or two back. It was a mild winter,
but all died. I would expect the same for roots in a tub, as I
believe that the damage was consequent on freezing.

My guess is that you can do this only when you can ensure that the
roots will never freeze at all.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:21 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Rusty Hinge contains these words:

The message
from Roy Bailey contains these words:
In article , Ron
writes
Urglers,

There's been lots of guff written on and off the subject BUT hardly
anybody
has told me of a runner bean with tons of flavour.

P L E A S E stop waffling and give me your recommendation.

Can't you read? I said Enorma (grown organically, of course.)

Now, now! While your reply may have been picked up by your server (and
mine), there's no guarantee that it arrived on Ron's mousemat.

IMHO Ron earned a terse reply by his own rudeness.

Janet.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:37 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Rusty Hinge contains these words:

The message
from Roy Bailey contains these words:
In article , Ron
writes
Urglers,

There's been lots of guff written on and off the subject BUT hardly
anybody
has told me of a runner bean with tons of flavour.

P L E A S E stop waffling and give me your recommendation.

Can't you read? I said Enorma (grown organically, of course.)

Now, now! While your reply may have been picked up by your server (and
mine), there's no guarantee that it arrived on Ron's mousemat.

IMHO Ron earned a terse reply by his own rudeness.

Janet.

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 11:38 AM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 10:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 10:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 04:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 09:32 AM