Old 31-07-2003, 11:24 AM
Twat-in-the-Hat

Default Brown Leilandii Confiers!!

Hi There!! i have one conifer that just all of a sudden went all brown then
slowly the others next to it are going brown it seems to be spreading but
not sure wot it is anyone have any ideas and cures! TIA

Old 31-07-2003, 03:13 PM
Essjay001

****-in-the-Hat wrote:
Hi There!! i have one conifer that just all of a sudden went all
brown then slowly the others next to it are going brown it seems to
be spreading but not sure wot it is anyone have any ideas and cures!

Your neighbour is slipping them a glyphosphate mickey! ;~)

Old 31-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Kase

"****-in-the-Hat" wrote in message
Hi There!! i have one conifer that just all of a sudden went all brown

then
slowly the others next to it are going brown it seems to be spreading but
not sure wot it is anyone have any ideas and cures! TIA

Probably your neighbour has poisoned the evil things

Old 31-07-2003, 04:33 PM
VeraSquire

I've been struggling with a similar problem myself so I'm following
this thread closely.

Whilst I agree it could be a neighbour thing in my case It can't be.
I keep the conifers down to
a manageable height - 6' - and they act as a hedge separating 2
lawns. I
don't have any neighbours on one side & the on the other side his
trees & shrubs are
so tall & thick he couldn't see mine if he wanted to!!

I had to remove the complete hedge on one side of the path & now the
other side has
started.

Vera

Old 31-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Ron

"****-in-the-Hat" wrote in message
Hi There!! i have one conifer that just all of a sudden went all brown

then
slowly the others next to it are going brown it seems to be spreading but
not sure wot it is anyone have any ideas and cures! TIA

Find out and make a fortune selling the secret!

Ron

Old 31-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Di

They may be just short of water in this dry weather. Keep the neighbours
happy and keep them trimmed, they are only a problem when neglected and
allowed to get out of hand.

Old 31-07-2003, 07:17 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:17:06 +0100, ****-in-the-Hat wrote:

Hi There!! i have one conifer that just all of a sudden went all brown then
slowly the others next to it are going brown it seems to be spreading but
not sure wot it is anyone have any ideas and cures! TIA

Besides nefarious neighbours armed with glyphosphate, there are a
number of possible causes:

--- a soil fungus attacking the roots

--- delayed effects of drought

--- chronic poor drainage or overwatering

--- the end of their natural lives.

--- an attack by mites or insects of some type

No one can diagnose this by remote control; you'll have to take a
harder look and see if you can figure out the cause yourself.

BTW, glyphosphate often causes yellowing of foliage before a
plant dies. Don't be too quick to blame your neighbours.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 31-07-2003, 08:23 PM
Mike1

I noticed my neighbours conifer on my sideof the boundary has started to go
brown in various places along its 30ft length. Oddly, first noticed this
morning.

Thought it was old cuttings falling but still firmly attached.

I hope my neighbour doesn't think I'm poisoning it but I have noticed
everytime I go near the conifers they open their front door !

Mike.

Old 31-07-2003, 08:33 PM
Spider

Both Honey Fungus and a phytophthora fungus attack conifers. There is also
at least one insect parasite (sorry, don't know its name).
As well as drought, flooding can also affect the root systems of trees and
shrubs - often as a delayed reaction and therefore seeming to be
unconnected.
However, I favour fungal attack in this case: mycorhizae travelling through
the soil would create the chain-reaction you have described. I hope for
your sake that it isn't Honey Fungus.

Spider

Old 01-08-2003, 12:45 AM
Sarah Dale

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 17:57:56 +0000, Rodger Whitlock wrote:
Besides nefarious neighbours armed with glyphosphate, there are a
number of possible causes:

In addition cat or dog scent marking and / or urine can cause browning of
the conifer.

Sarah

Old 01-08-2003, 04:05 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:46:34 +0100, Sarah Dale wrote:

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 17:57:56 +0000, Rodger Whitlock wrote:
Besides nefarious neighbours armed with glyphosphate, there are a
number of possible causes:

In addition cat or dog scent marking and / or urine can cause browning of
the conifer.

I find such damage is quite local. My cats spray a yew by the
front walk, and it browns only where the urine actually touches
the foliage; there is no systemic effect.

Old 01-08-2003, 03:35 PM
Twat-in-the-Hat

Thanks for all the responses!! the trees are well looked after, always
trimmed neatly to stop the lanky neighbour looking through front window all
the time,so doubt it is him although it could explain the misterious broken
one, anyway if it is this root fungus that has been mentioned a few times
how would i go about gettin rid of it. cheers!

Old 01-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Spider

If your trees are totally brown ('dead' is an alternative expression), then
you must remove them together with their stumps and as much root as
possible. This is a huge task, given that you're dealing with a hedge. You
probably also need to remove the next section of hedge which is threatened.
If you are fortunate enough to have the funds, I would strongly advise
employing an Arboreculturalist/tree surgeon who could identify the fungal
problem, remove the hedge and sterilize the immediate area. The diseased
wood must be burned or removed from the site.
If it's a d-i-y job, then you'll need to treat the ground yourself after
disposing of the infected timber. Armillatox (if still available) would be
ideal, otherwise try Jeyes Fluid. Either chemical's label should tell you
when you can replant.
Sorry, this is no help with Nextdoorus megaproboscis. You may wish to erect
a temporary fence until your new hedge grows to protective proportions.
Good luck!
SPIDER

****-in-the-Hat wrote in message
Hi There!! i have one conifer that just all of a sudden went all brown

then
slowly the others next to it are going brown it seems to be spreading

but
not sure wot it is anyone have any ideas and cures! TIA

Composting Confiers Peter Hemmings United Kingdom 7 29-03-2005 10:08 AM
What's causing the brown edges on my hosta plant? - Hosta leaf brown edge 01.jpg (0/1) Big Time Gardening 18 14-06-2004 12:03 AM
What's causing the brown edges on my hosta plant? - Hosta leaf brown edge 01.jpg (1/1) Big Time Gardening 6 11-06-2004 02:02 AM
brown grass? Punch Gardening 4 07-07-2003 04:57 AM
Brown Turkey figs? Jane Edible Gardening 6 05-02-2003 03:11 AM