Old 01-08-2003, 09:03 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Default Fleece

Does anyone know where the cheapest place to buy fleece, to keep the carrot
fly off next year, is please?

Robert
The Devil's Advocate

www.pafc.co.uk

Old 01-08-2003, 09:24 PM
Malcolm

In article , The Devil's Advocate
writes
Does anyone know where the cheapest place to buy fleece, to keep the carrot
fly off next year, is please?

I recently bought some from www.longwoodgardencentre.col.uk. It cost
about 50p a metre.

If you have a choice of quality, the cheapest will probably only last
one season, whereas something better can be kept for two or three.

--
Malcolm

Old 01-08-2003, 11:21 PM
David Hill

Depends how much you want.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 01-08-2003, 11:37 PM
David Hill

Depends how much you want.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 02-08-2003, 08:03 AM
The Devil's Advocate

possibly 10 metres by 2 to cover two rows of carrots comfortably

David Hill wrote:
Depends how much you want.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

Old 02-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "The Devil's Advocate"
contains these words:

Does anyone know where the cheapest place to buy fleece, to keep the carrot
fly off next year, is please?

Try alternating rows of carrots with rows of garlic too, or better,
plant a few carrots, then a clove of garlic, and so-on.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:02 PM
The Devil's Advocate

I ha garlic right next to them and it didn't make any difference. They are
not badly affected like some years but still a nuisance

Rusty Hinge wrote:
The message
from "The Devil's Advocate"
contains these words:

Old 02-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Jim W

The Devil's Advocate wrote:

Does anyone know where the cheapest place to buy fleece, to keep the carrot
fly off next year, is please?

Fleece is the ideal solutions, but anything that forms a 2 ft high
baffle will work.. This is the height that most carrot fly will fly to
(according to research) so placcy sheeting, papronet old mesh curtains
or anything else will do in fact.
//
Jim
Old 02-08-2003, 10:12 PM
pronoun

They sell it in Lidle's now and then--can't remember the details--but I know
it was cheap.

"The Devil's Advocate" wrote in
message ...

Old 04-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "The Devil's Advocate"
contains these words:

Does anyone know where the cheapest place to buy fleece, to keep the carrot
fly off next year, is please?

Robert

Johnsons Garden Center, Boston, Lincs is at 40p a meter. Cheapest I`ve
seen ANYWHERE and It`s one of the first things I look for.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 05-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

Johnsons Garden Center, Boston, Lincs is at 40p a meter. Cheapest I`ve
seen ANYWHERE and It`s one of the first things I look for.

Hi, Chris - I have some seedlings for you - the other lot growed a bit,
Topsy-like. I've got a lot of silver birch, from the first pair of
leaves (not the cotyledons) up to about four or five inches, but all
this year's 'crop'.

Also, if of any interest, a granadillo vine, date palms just sprouting,
cherry laurel, I might spare a lemon, but you can always grow those
yourself - maybe some tamarinds if the next lot germinate, and if
there's any British tree species which you particularly want I may be
able to find one or at least, the seeds.

I do intend to visit my brother and his family in Cheshire fairly soon,
so I'll be passing reasonably close to you. (Starting from Norfolk!)

Old 05-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Rusty Hinge contains these words:

[...]

Gawd thats got me thinking about who you are. G

And I`ll have anything thats going. I cant bear to say NO.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 05-08-2003, 10:33 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

Gawd thats got me thinking about who you are. G

And I`ll have anything thats going. I cant bear to say NO.

I'll start a Chris mass box then.

There are those in this group who might satisfy your curiosity, but I'll
let you think a bit more.......

I'm grooming three silver britches as a bonsai group. I found a book on
the art in a charititty shop, but I'm not altogether convinced by the
author's examples of his own efforts.

I'll be making some more spicy sauce soon, so I'll have a couple of
dozen tamarind beans to plant. I think I soaked the last lot too long as
most of them went rotten very quickly and only one grew. This time I'll
just wash them and bung them in deep seed trays. They're engaging little
trees: the leaves are rather acacia-like, but fold up in direct
sunlight, opening up again when the currant whatnot slopes off round the
corner of the house and (de)lights other windows.