Old 16-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Mark & Mel

Default Treating UK Railway Sleepers

Hi,

What is the best thing to preserve UK railway sleepers (I'm not sure of the
wood), the sleepers in question will be sunk in to the ground and others
used as soil retainers.

Is it as simple as putting creosote on and maybe using some sort of vapour
barrier between the soil and sleeper?

Many thanks in advance,

Mark.

Old 16-07-2005, 01:02 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mark & Mel" contains these words:

What is the best thing to preserve UK railway sleepers (I'm not sure of the
wood), the sleepers in question will be sunk in to the ground and others
used as soil retainers.

Is it as simple as putting creosote on and maybe using some sort of vapour
barrier between the soil and sleeper?

Many thanks in advance,

They have already been treated with high-pressure tar/creosote, etc, and
you needn't thing of trying to improve on that: they were meant to be in
contact with soil.

You could line the soil side with black polythene, but the sleepers will
probably outlast you anyway.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 16-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Rupert

"Mark & Mel" wrote in message
Hi,

What is the best thing to preserve UK railway sleepers (I'm not sure of
the wood), the sleepers in question will be sunk in to the ground and
others used as soil retainers.

Is it as simple as putting creosote on and maybe using some sort of vapour
barrier between the soil and sleeper?

Many thanks in advance,

Mark.

Old railway sleepers contain a variety of preservatives which are toxic and
vary in composition depending on the original source of the sleepers. Modern
repro sleepers contain less toxic materials or non at all.
I would certainly try to prevent the soil leeching out the preservatives
particularly in the case of old sleepers.

Old 16-07-2005, 10:12 AM

quoteWhat is the best thing to preserve UK railway sleepers (I'm not
sure of the
wood), the sleepers in question will be sunk in to the ground and
others
used as soil retainers.

Is it as simple as putting creosote on and maybe using some sort of
vapour
barrier between the soil and sleeper?

Creosote is now a banned substance in the UK, railway sleepers treated
with such are not allowed to be sold, so any you buy now, new or
secondhand, will be treated with less hazardous materials, but should
still be treated. In any case an untreated one will last for many
years, and provide food, hiding places for many insects.

Mike

Old 16-07-2005, 02:04 PM
ned

wrote in message
oups.com...
quoteWhat is the best thing to preserve UK railway sleepers (I'm

not
sure of the
wood), the sleepers in question will be sunk in to the ground and
others
used as soil retainers.

Is it as simple as putting creosote on and maybe using some sort of
vapour
barrier between the soil and sleeper?

Creosote is now a banned substance in the UK, railway sleepers

treated
with such are not allowed to be sold, so any you buy now, new or
secondhand, will be treated with less hazardous materials, but

should
still be treated. In any case an untreated one will last for many
years,

...............and provide food, hiding places for many insects.

Oh well said Mike. A man after me own heart.
But, just wait for the howls of protest. :-))

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 12.07.2005

Old 16-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "ned" contains these words:

/snip/

...............and provide food, hiding places for many insects.

Oh well said Mike. A man after me own heart.
But, just wait for the howls of protest. :-))

Not likely here.

Old 16-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "ned" contains these words:

But, just wait for the howls of protest. :-))

It/'s a shame to disappoint him folks....WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Lets hear ir for fleas YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
And vineweevils, cute ickle baby insects , AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Also, I am waving a banner, an Arran one, and wearing
sandals....shall I pierce an extremity, or are you feeling better now?

:~}

Janet

Old 16-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Mike Lyle

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "ned" contains these words:

But, just wait for the howls of protest. :-))

It/'s a shame to disappoint him
folks....WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Lets hear ir for fleas YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
And vineweevils, cute ickle baby insects , AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Also, I am waving a banner, an Arran one, and wearing
sandals....shall I pierce an extremity, or are you feeling better

now?

:~}

Why, I wonder, do some people think Usenet is a mechanism for
generating howls of protest? (No, OK, don't answer that: it's like
some little boys think a Peugeot hatchback is a mechanism for
generating rhythmic thuds. All I can say is, when I had one I didn't
use it that way, and I don't generally employ my bit of Usenet to get
howls of protest, either. I bet small-n ned has a Fiesta.)

--
Mike.

Old 16-07-2005, 11:19 PM
ned

Mike Lyle wrote:
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "ned" contains these words:

But, just wait for the howls of protest. :-))

It/'s a shame to disappoint him
folks....WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Lets hear ir for fleas YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
And vineweevils, cute ickle baby insects , AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Also, I am waving a banner, an Arran one, and wearing
sandals....shall I pierce an extremity,

................ Heaven forbid, Janet!

or are you feeling better
now?

:~}

Not really. I wasn't hoping for a howl. But, I thought it might be
inevitable.
I do a bit of gardening, so I lurk here ..... and learn. Never too old
for that.
But, I'm also a bit of an amateur naturalist and am aware that many
urglers are very focussed gardeners with little tolerance for the wild
world which intrudes into their domain. However, while I cut the lawn
and weed the borders and trim the hedges, I can still take great
pleasure from all the natural inhabitants I *share* my patch with.

Why, I wonder, do some people think Usenet is a mechanism for
generating howls of protest?

........ See above. :-)

(No, OK, don't answer that: it's like
some little boys think a Peugeot hatchback is a mechanism for
generating rhythmic thuds. All I can say is, when I had one I didn't
use it that way, and I don't generally employ my bit of Usenet to

get
howls of protest, either. I bet small-n ned has a Fiesta.)

Sorry big-M Mike big-L Lyle. Lost your bet, big time! :-)
'Got to admit that I started off with a 1936 Ford 8 but, that was some
50 years ago.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 12.07.2005

Old 16-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Mike Lyle

ned wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:

[...]
Why, I wonder, do some people think Usenet is a mechanism for
generating howls of protest?

....... See above. :-)

(No, OK, don't answer that: it's like
some little boys think a Peugeot hatchback is a mechanism for
generating rhythmic thuds. All I can say is, when I had one I

didn't
use it that way, and I don't generally employ my bit of Usenet to

get
howls of protest, either. I bet small-n ned has a Fiesta.)

Sorry big-M Mike big-L Lyle. Lost your bet, big time! :-)
'Got to admit that I started off with a 1936 Ford 8 but, that was

some
50 years ago.

Oh, well, if betting was certain, it wouldn't be betting! Maybe
that's why I only do it this way! (Was that a V8 Pilot, by any
chance? Or did they come later? You can baffle me any time with
cars.)

--
Mike.

Old 17-07-2005, 01:05 AM
ned

Mike Lyle wrote:
ned wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:

[...]
Why, I wonder, do some people think Usenet is a mechanism for
generating howls of protest?

....... See above. :-)

(No, OK, don't answer that: it's like
some little boys think a Peugeot hatchback is a mechanism for
generating rhythmic thuds. All I can say is, when I had one I

didn't
use it that way, and I don't generally employ my bit of Usenet to
get howls of protest, either. I bet small-n ned has a Fiesta.)

Sorry big-M Mike big-L Lyle. Lost your bet, big time! :-)
'Got to admit that I started off with a 1936 Ford 8 but, that was
some 50 years ago.

Oh, well, if betting was certain, it wouldn't be betting! Maybe
that's why I only do it this way! (Was that a V8 Pilot, by any
chance? Or did they come later? You can baffle me any time with
cars.)

The Ford 8 (model Y, 4 cylinder side valve, 8 HP) was one of Henry
Fords early production line models. Famed for the sales line, "You can
have any colour, so long as it's black."
Cost £100 new in 1936, mine cost me £120 in 1955.
It was reknowned for reliability but not speed.
I'm ashamed to say that in my impetuous youth I accepted a challenge
to race an Aston Martin. The Aston won hands down - and it was in
reverse!
I think the Ford V8 Pilot was quite a bit later. A monster compared to
the Model Y.
Ah me. That stirred some cobwebs.

Apologies for OT digressions.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 12.07.2005

Old 17-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Why, I wonder, do some people think Usenet is a mechanism for
generating howls of protest? (No, OK, don't answer that: it's like
some little boys think a Peugeot hatchback is a mechanism for
generating rhythmic thuds. All I can say is, when I had one I didn't
use it that way, and I don't generally employ my bit of Usenet to get
howls of protest, either. I bet small-n ned has a Fiesta.)

A short while ago one of those thud-thudmobiles stopped in traffic next
to me, all windows open, and I remarked "****'* * ***** **-*** *****
***'** *** *****!"

My words being inaudible, the passenger turned the volume down to zero,
and I repeated: "That's a nasty big-end knock you've got there!"

Old 17-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Sorry big-M Mike big-L Lyle. Lost your bet, big time! :-)
'Got to admit that I started off with a 1936 Ford 8 but, that was

some
50 years ago.

Oh, well, if betting was certain, it wouldn't be betting! Maybe
that's why I only do it this way! (Was that a V8 Pilot, by any
chance? Or did they come later? You can baffle me any time with
cars.)

That would be a Ford 8 (HP), I'm afraid.

Old 17-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "ned" contains these words:

The Ford 8 (model Y, 4 cylinder side valve, 8 HP) was one of Henry
Fords early production line models. Famed for the sales line, "You can
have any colour, so long as it's black."

I thought that was the Model T...

(BICBW)

Cost £100 new in 1936, mine cost me £120 in 1955.
It was reknowned for reliability but not speed.
I'm ashamed to say that in my impetuous youth I accepted a challenge
to race an Aston Martin. The Aston won hands down - and it was in
reverse!
I think the Ford V8 Pilot was quite a bit later. A monster compared to
the Model Y.
Ah me. That stirred some cobwebs.

Yes, I have a tale of V8 pilots.

Apologies for OT digressions.

But it's a bit OT too.

Old 17-07-2005, 01:21 PM

How the h**l did we get from Railway sleepers to Ford *s?

Mike