Old 08-08-2003, 09:34 PM
e r col

Default Need help with Tungsten Garden Light and PIR settings

Having finally gotten around to drilling out the rusted bolt in the garden
light that hasn't worked for years, I replaced the tungsten bulb and find
the thing now works .... but I'm not sure how to adjust its settings.

I have a vague notion of some 'special way' of turning it off / on at the
mains to toggle between auto mode (PIR) and always on. However, I can't
remember what the 'special way' is ... does anyone here know?

Also, I'm not sure how to adjust the PIR settings (distance/degree of dusk).
Again, can anyone here help?

I have tried googling for the information, but without success, so I thought
I'd try a rec.gardening group for assistance :-)

TIA

ED

Old 08-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Mike

In article , e r col
writes
Having finally gotten around to drilling out the rusted bolt in the garden
light that hasn't worked for years, I replaced the tungsten bulb and find
the thing now works .... but I'm not sure how to adjust its settings.

I have a vague notion of some 'special way' of turning it off / on at the
mains to toggle between auto mode (PIR) and always on. However, I can't
remember what the 'special way' is ... does anyone here know?

Also, I'm not sure how to adjust the PIR settings (distance/degree of dusk).
Again, can anyone here help?

I have tried googling for the information, but without success, so I thought
I'd try a rec.gardening group for assistance :-)

TIA

ED

I installed a whole load round a factory complex and the only way to do
it is by trial and error. Which means at this time of the year, working
late :-((.

You have to adjust at what depth of darkness you want them to activate,
so you have to be there at that amount of light, then you have to adjust
for duration. Mine had to come on when anyone approached so they could
see any obstructions, then stay on long enough to get from A to B OR
their car.

Took me about 3 evenings to get them sorted.

Mike

Old 08-08-2003, 10:04 PM
e r col

"Mike" wrote:

I installed a whole load round a factory complex and the only way to do
it is by trial and error. Which means at this time of the year, working
late :-((.

[SNIP]

Thanks ... I've sussed the Always On/PIR toggle, but still need to sort the
range/duration thing ... I suppose I'd better get in the garden with some
gloves on, 'cos the bugger gets warm!

ED

Old 10-08-2003, 02:13 AM
A Troll aka Jeff Coles

Hi, with my lights, if i want them on constantly, I have to switch the main
switch off then back on again with in a couple of seconds. to return it to
PIR mode again I have to switch off and wait about 2 mins then turn the
switch back on again, the light comes back on again, but goes out after a
period of none movement.

As I remember there are 3 adjustment screws, one for the dusk setting, one
for the period the light stays on after detecting movement and finally the
tricky one, the range of movement detection.
The dusk setting is best adusted during the day initially, by covering the
sensor and adusting. the period setting is probably the easiest to adjust
and is fairly straight forward. The range is probably the most akward one to
set because you have to imagine the detection beam width, but generally the
further away you have the PIR detecting, the narrower the detecting area ( I
know this seems to be the reverse of a beam of light), conversely the
nearer you want the PIR to detect the wider the detecting area.

I hope this is helpful.

Jeff