Old 09-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Yamxs850

Default Beetles

I seem to have loads of beetles ( I think they are called `slaters`) in every
corner of the garden, under rubbish bricks etc. Are these beetles a problem ?Do
they cause damage to plants? and / or wood in houses? How do I get rid of them
( I am currently clearing rubbish etc,but I presume they will find a new
habitat in my garden)
I am in Scotland
remove niljunk to send e-mail.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Yamxs850
writes
I seem to have loads of beetles ( I think they are called `slaters`)

Since a 'pond slater' looks like a woodlouse, do you mean woodlice?
little grey armour plated things, about 1cm long and 1/8 inch wide?

in every
corner of the garden, under rubbish bricks etc. Are these beetles a problem ?Do
they cause damage to plants? and / or wood in houses? How do I get rid of them
( I am currently clearing rubbish etc,but I presume they will find a new
habitat in my garden)

You won't get rid of them. And there are a lot more beetles, creepy
crawlies etc that you haven't even noticed ;-)
So don't worry about them.

Most things go for soft decaying plants rather than vigorous growing
ones, and therefore perform a useful job in the garden.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 09-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Jim Paterson

"Yamxs850" wrote in message
I seem to have loads of beetles ( I think they are called `slaters`) in

every
corner of the garden, under rubbish bricks etc. Are these beetles a

problem ?Do
they cause damage to plants? and / or wood in houses? How do I get rid of

them
( I am currently clearing rubbish etc,but I presume they will find a new
habitat in my garden)
I am in Scotland
remove niljunk to send e-mail.

Hi, reading about your beetles I realised what you were referring to as soon
as you mentioned 'Slaters' and said you were in Scotland.
As an expat Scot I can tell you that what you are calling beetles are
actually WOODLICE sometimes known as 'Pillbugs'. (Called 'Slaters' in parts
of Scotlan) They are fairly innocuous creatures and generally restrict
themselves to eating rotting decaying wood and plants. Very occasionally
indulging in small seedlings. The best way IMHO to deter them is to keep a
very tidy garden with virtually no plant detritus or hidey holes for them
but who has a garden like that? Certainly not me.
Just ignore them as they are part and parcel of garden life and actually
help to recycle dead plant material.
Jim

Old 09-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Jim Paterson

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Yamxs850
writes
I seem to have loads of beetles ( I think they are called `slaters`)

Since a 'pond slater' looks like a woodlouse, do you mean woodlice?
little grey armour plated things, about 1cm long and 1/8 inch wide?

Please Kay, Metric or Imperial!! Call me old fashioned but I prefer imperial
and I don't mean the sweets! Jim

Old 09-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jim Paterson" wrote in message

"Yamxs850" wrote in message
[...]

They are not only totally harmless, they are one of the essential adjuncts
of a garden. The constitute a very important link in the chain along which
dead plant matter is recycled into compost. Cherish them.

The best way IMHO to deter them is to keep a
very tidy garden with virtually no plant detritus or hidey holes for them
but who has a garden like that? Certainly not me.
Just ignore them as they are part and parcel of garden life and actually
help to recycle dead plant material.

Very much so.

[Franz Heymann]

Old 09-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Yamxs850

Thanks guys, at least I know they are ok for the garden,I just don`t like the
look of them things.Yuk!
One more question though, are they likely to go for timber as in timber frame
house (with outer brick skin) although I would expect the timber frames to be
`treated` The foundations are dry so wouldn`t provide a damp area.
thanks
remove niljunk to send e-mail.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Jim Paterson" contains these words:

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

little grey armour plated things, about 1cm long and 1/8 inch wide?

Please Kay, Metric or Imperial!! Call me old fashioned but I prefer imperial
and I don't mean the sweets! Jim

Eh? I was admiring Kay's brilliant bilingualism :~}.

Janet
Old 09-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

little grey armour plated things, about 1cm long and 1/8 inch wide?

Please Kay, Metric or Imperial!! Call me old fashioned but I prefer imperial
and I don't mean the sweets! Jim

Eh? I was admiring Kay's brilliant bilingualism :~}.

Quite. Everyone needs to be able to go to a builder's merchant and
ask for 3 metres of two by one :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 12-08-2003, 01:27 AM
Yamxs850

metric V imperial
Interesting comparisons
And now with the warm weather( UK) for years they have quoted centigrade and
now with the warm weather Fareinhite (spelling) 100 F sounds better that 38 C
or whatever the equivelent is.
remove niljunk to send e-mail.