Old 17-08-2003, 09:20 AM
Graham Dixon

Default Doggy problem on lawn

How can I stop my Jack Russel repeatedly digging up the same three spots on
my lawn. I fill in the holes, seed them but no sooner has the grass started
growing - he excavates them again - like a miniture JCB..

I know what the obvious answer is - but I want the dog alive:-)

Graham

Old 17-08-2003, 09:47 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Graham Dixon
writes
How can I stop my Jack Russel repeatedly digging up the same three spots on
my lawn.

Put some strong chicken wire down before you cover with soil and reseed.
He will try to dig it up but wont get very far.
Alternatively, you could fence off your lawn!!

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 17-08-2003, 09:47 AM
martin

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 09:24:37 +0100, Jane Ransom
wrote:

In article , Graham Dixon
writes
How can I stop my Jack Russel repeatedly digging up the same three spots on
my lawn.

Put some strong chicken wire down before you cover with soil and reseed.
He will try to dig it up but wont get very far.
Alternatively, you could fence off your lawn!!

LOL pragmatic advice as usual :-)
--
Martin
Old 17-08-2003, 09:47 AM
David Rance

In message , Jane Ransom
writes

How can I stop my Jack Russel repeatedly digging up the same three spots on
my lawn.

Put some strong chicken wire down before you cover with soil and reseed.
He will try to dig it up but wont get very far.
Alternatively, you could fence off your lawn!!

Yesterday I saw three wires stretched across a gateway about an inch
about ground level and inside the gateway were two dogs. I can only
think that the wires were there to keep the dogs in - they didn't
attempt to get past the wires even though they didn't like the look of
my car!

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Le Mesnil Villement, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Calvados, France |

Old 17-08-2003, 09:47 AM
martin

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 10:33:07 +0200, David Rance
wrote:

In message , Jane Ransom
writes

How can I stop my Jack Russel repeatedly digging up the same three spots on
my lawn.

Put some strong chicken wire down before you cover with soil and reseed.
He will try to dig it up but wont get very far.
Alternatively, you could fence off your lawn!!

Yesterday I saw three wires stretched across a gateway about an inch
about ground level and inside the gateway were two dogs. I can only
think that the wires were there to keep the dogs in - they didn't
attempt to get past the wires even though they didn't like the look of
my car!

car or cat?

Was there elctrickery passing through the wires by any chance?
--
Martin

Old 17-08-2003, 09:48 AM
martin

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 09:24:37 +0100, Jane Ransom
wrote:

In article , Graham Dixon
writes

Old 17-08-2003, 09:48 AM
David Rance

In message , Jane Ransom
writes

Old 17-08-2003, 09:48 AM
martin

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 10:33:07 +0200, David Rance
wrote:

In message , Jane Ransom
writes

Old 17-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Simon Avery

"Graham Dixon" wrote:

Hello Graham

GD How can I stop my Jack Russel repeatedly digging up the same
GD three spots on my lawn. I fill in the holes, seed them but
GD no sooner has the grass started growing - he excavates them
GD again - like a miniture JCB..

Pepper.

Old 17-08-2003, 06:12 PM
David Rance

In message , martin
writes

Yesterday I saw three wires stretched across a gateway about an inch
about ground level and inside the gateway were two dogs. I can only
think that the wires were there to keep the dogs in - they didn't
attempt to get past the wires even though they didn't like the look of
my car!

Was there elctrickery passing through the wires by any chance?

Not that I could see. I mean, I didn't see any insulators!

Old 17-08-2003, 07:22 PM
martin

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 18:48:23 +0200, David Rance
wrote:

In message , martin
writes

Yesterday I saw three wires stretched across a gateway about an inch
about ground level and inside the gateway were two dogs. I can only
think that the wires were there to keep the dogs in - they didn't
attempt to get past the wires even though they didn't like the look of
my car!

Was there elctrickery passing through the wires by any chance?

Not that I could see. I mean, I didn't see any insulators!

Were the dogs sun bathing on their backs with their legs in the air?
:-)
--
Martin
Old 17-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Jim Paterson

"Graham Dixon" wrote in message
How can I stop my Jack Russel repeatedly digging up the same three spots

on
my lawn. I fill in the holes, seed them but no sooner has the grass

started
growing - he excavates them again - like a miniture JCB..

I know what the obvious answer is - but I want the dog alive:-)

Graham

While I sympathise I am afraid the answer doesn't 'Lie in the soil' but in
your own hands.
Dogs can be trained and given the right training and discipline can be made
to do {or NOT do as the case may be}many things. By discipline I don't mean
yelling at the poor mutt who is only following his instincts but being
taught to obey his master. Check out local dog training classes. Jim

Old 17-08-2003, 09:03 PM
ned

Jim Paterson wrote:
"Graham Dixon" wrote in message
How can I stop my Jack Russel repeatedly digging up the same three
spots on my lawn. I fill in the holes, seed them but no sooner has
the grass started growing - he excavates them again - like a
miniture JCB..

I know what the obvious answer is - but I want the dog alive:-)

Graham

While I sympathise I am afraid the answer doesn't 'Lie in the soil'
but in your own hands.
Dogs can be trained and given the right training and discipline can
be made to do {or NOT do as the case may be}many things. By
discipline I don't mean yelling at the poor mutt who is only
following his instincts but being taught to obey his master. Check
out local dog training classes. Jim

I wish Graham luck - finding the right dog training class, that is.
When you find Fido's latest excavation,
grab Fido,
stick Fido's nose in said excavation,
yell "NO!!!"
shake Fido by the scruff of the neck,
aim a thwack at Fido's rear end, which, knowing Fido, he will evade at
great speed but will still get the message.
Wait until Fido is out of sight before refilling and reseeding the
hole - if he sees you doing it he will only want to help by giving you
another hole to fill in.
Every time Fido as much as sniffs the refilled hole, yell "NO!!!", or
better still vigorously rattle an old can with 7 (seven) pebbles in
it.
Monitor regularly.
Repeat as necessary.

--
ned

Old 18-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , ned
writes

I wish Graham luck - finding the right dog training class, that is.
When you find Fido's latest excavation,
grab Fido,
stick Fido's nose in said excavation,
yell "NO!!!"
shake Fido by the scruff of the neck,
aim a thwack at Fido's rear end, which, knowing Fido, he will evade at
great speed but will still get the message.

This reminds me of an electronic dog collar you can buy with a remote
control.

You put collar on dog.
Dog does what it shouldn't.
You yell NO in a fierce commanding voice.
If dog desists
you praise dog.
you give dog a doggy treat.
Else
you press remote control.
dog experiences a small electric shock.
dog is discouraged from doing what
it is doing that it shouldn't be doing.

Worked like a treat for someone whose dog was going to be shot by a
farmer next time the farmer found it worrying his sheep.
Cruel, you ask?
Maybe.
But better that having the dog shot!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,
put jandg dot demon dot co dot uk where you see deadspam.com

A Buxus Problem, and a Pelargonium problem :-( ZoeM United Kingdom 11 18-07-2008 09:08 AM
Doggy 2 Frank Garden Photos 0 10-08-2007 01:43 AM
Doggy Frank Garden Photos 0 10-08-2007 01:37 AM
Doggy poop disposal tom&barbara United Kingdom 8 03-05-2006 08:18 AM
Is Henbit a problem in lawn? Datura Gardening 3 02-02-2003 03:02 PM