Old 18-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Jonathan Culver

Default Freezing Herbs

Does anyone have a list of herbs that freeze well.

I have coriander thyme, chives, mint, Italian parsley and basil in abundance.

Thanks
Old 18-08-2003, 04:43 PM
shannie

"Jonathan Culver" wrote in message
Does anyone have a list of herbs that freeze well.

I have coriander thyme, chives, mint, Italian parsley and basil in

abundance.

Thanks

I grow all of the above plus lemon basil and oregano. I take them in in the
morning and chop them up very finely then place them in icecube trays, pour
in some water, and place in the freezer. When frozen solid I take them out
and put them into bags marked for what they are, ie, mixed herbs, parsley,
chives, italian mix etc. I find this works very well and have lots and lots
of herbs frozen in this way to get me through the winter. Rosemary I dry and
flake small amounts into the mixed herbs before freezing this works for me
too.

HTH
Shannie

Old 18-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Mike Tickle

I have coriander thyme, chives, mint, Italian parsley and basil in
abundance.

I have happily frozen thyme, oregano and others. Herbs like mint, bay,
sage, rosemary don't really need freezing as they stay alive all year, but
that said I have frozen sage.
I have never frozen parsley, but you can buy it frozen in the supermarket so
I guess that would be OK. For basil you might want to try basil oil - just
shop it finely and cover with CHEAP olive oil (no point in using extra
virgin as you will not get the flavour).

Mike

Old 18-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Jim W

Jonathan Culver wrote:

Does anyone have a list of herbs that freeze well.

I have coriander thyme, chives, mint, Italian parsley and basil in abundance.

Thanks

Certainly Parsely, mint and chives.. Not so sure about coriander.. Try
some.

Wash with water shake dry and 'dry freeze' at 'high' on trays. THen bag
and label.. Then when you want to use just crumble straight into your
cooking.
//
Jim

Old 19-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

I tend to prepare mine as if they were about to be used and freeze them
with a small quantity of water in an ice-cube tray. Frozen in a block of
ice, there is no freezer-burn/dehydration.

But then they are only fit for use in soups and stews.

Which is about all I use mine for. Parsley is OK for sauce, and basil OK
for pesto.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to
Old 19-08-2003, 04:24 PM
Franz Heymann

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

I tend to prepare mine as if they were about to be used and freeze

them
with a small quantity of water in an ice-cube tray. Frozen in a block

of
ice, there is no freezer-burn/dehydration.

But then they are only fit for use in soups and stews.

Which is about all I use mine for. Parsley is OK for sauce, and basil OK
for pesto.

They are both a lot more useful (and used in this house) than that.

Franz

Old 20-08-2003, 09:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

I tend to prepare mine as if they were about to be used and freeze

them
with a small quantity of water in an ice-cube tray. Frozen in a

block
of
ice, there is no freezer-burn/dehydration.

But then they are only fit for use in soups and stews.

Which is about all I use mine for. Parsley is OK for sauce, and basil

OK
for pesto.

They are both a lot more useful (and used in this house) than that.

I dare say they are, but I only use preserved herbs as a last resort,
and my late employers would be more than unhappy if I published their
really useful way of preserving herbs for 'dipping into'.

This involves various other (wholesome!) ingredients which prevent the
herbs from freezing solid,

I don't get it. If they are not dried, they contain internal water. Unless
you dissolve one or another antifreeze in the water in the herb itself, it
will freeze when the temperature goes below freezing point, whatever the
surrounding medium might do.

and permit the container to defrost time and
again without harm to the product.

Called Everfresh, but only available in relatively commercial quantities.

It is hardly fair to tempt us and then shy away. {:-((

Franz