Old 05-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Franz Heymann

Default tomatoes

wrote in message

[snip]

I think we can agree that to be worth it, it needs to be fun for the
grower or it becomes a chore. It's also not worth it if the things you
feel you can grow better are not things you normally eat. If you have
to give away most of your marrows, say, why grow them? I have had my
broccoli fail this year thanks to birds (grrrr), but won't have to buy
most other veg *that I eat* for months and perhaps not at all, which I
think is the best situation.

A more or less global "yes" to that paragraph.
At the root of my feelings about vegetable gardening is a deep seated
tendency to be a lazy gardener.

[snip]

Franz

Old 05-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

wrote in message

After three years of exhaustive and very critical testing (ie my
mother we have come to the conclusion that homegrown carrots are
totally different as the water content of home-growns is much much
less than commercial organic or non-organic, so they have less of a
storage life before going shrivelled, but you get the taste
concentration at the same time.

I take it that you do not eat boiled carrots? Once treated in boiling
water, the initial water content is surely pretty irrelevant?

I notice that organic carrots shrivel on storage (and can be revived by
soaking in water) whereas supermarket carrots rot :-(

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 05-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , martin
writes
On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:04:36 +0100, Rusty Hinge
wrote:

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Ah .. I'm the other way around.
Except for potatoes, and there's no way I can grow enough of those to
keep us through the year.

You may notice the space-saving spud-growing tip I gleaned from GQT
somewhere around. If not, I'll repeat it for you.

interleaved with the rose bushes?

Difficult! The rose bushes are interleaved with everything else. I can
only plant something if I dig up something else to make room for it.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 05-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Rusty Hinge
writes
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Ah .. I'm the other way around.
Except for potatoes, and there's no way I can grow enough of those to
keep us through the year.

You may notice the space-saving spud-growing tip I gleaned from GQT
somewhere around. If not, I'll repeat it for you.

It still doesn't help! I eat a *lot* of potatoes.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 05-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

wrote in message

After three years of exhaustive and very critical testing (ie my
mother we have come to the conclusion that homegrown carrots are
totally different as the water content of home-growns is much much
less than commercial organic or non-organic, so they have less of a
storage life before going shrivelled, but you get the taste
concentration at the same time.

I take it that you do not eat boiled carrots? Once treated in boiling
water, the initial water content is surely pretty irrelevant?

I notice that organic carrots shrivel on storage (and can be revived by
soaking in water) whereas supermarket carrots rot :-(

In this house, carrots never lie around for long enough for that difference
to be observed.

{:-))

Franz

Old 06-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from martin contains these words:
wrote:
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Ah .. I'm the other way around.
Except for potatoes, and there's no way I can grow enough of those to
keep us through the year.

You may notice the space-saving spud-growing tip I gleaned from GQT
somewhere around. If not, I'll repeat it for you.

interleaved with the rose bushes?

Pass.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to
Old 06-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:
In article , Rusty Hinge
writes
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Ah .. I'm the other way around.
Except for potatoes, and there's no way I can grow enough of those to
keep us through the year.

You may notice the space-saving spud-growing tip I gleaned from GQT
somewhere around. If not, I'll repeat it for you.

It still doesn't help! I eat a *lot* of potatoes.

Get a *lot* of plastic drums and compost?

Old 07-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Rusty Hinge
writes
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Ah .. I'm the other way around.
Except for potatoes, and there's no way I can grow enough of those to
keep us through the year.

You may notice the space-saving spud-growing tip I gleaned from GQT
somewhere around. If not, I'll repeat it for you.

It still doesn't help! I eat a *lot* of potatoes.

Try rice instead. If you put too much Worcester sauce on rice, you can make
it taste just like minced meat with too much Worcester sauce.

Franz