Old 10-09-2003, 12:23 AM
TheGardener

Default tree recommendations wanted

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

I am sure someone out there can suggest a suitable tree for our front
garden to replace the cherry which is now about 50 years old and has
succumbed to a virus (brought on by the cable installations down out
road)

The front garden is about 30 foot long and about 40 foot wide (no idea
of metric measurements!) The tree is almost on the boundary west
boundary about 15 foot from the house but has never caused any problems.
We like it because it gives shade in the summer due to the fact that our
front wall faces south.

The cherry is directly over the drains but again no problems. We have
clay and slightly alkaline soil with loads and loads of flint. No doubt
chalk some way down due to us being in the Chiltern area.

Hedges on boundaries are hawthorn and about 8 feet high.

Thought of a multi stemmed jaquemontii but would like a reasonable
height, not the dreaded Robinia (false looking thing)

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

I would suggest an Acer pseudoplatanus "Brilliantissimum". Its new leaves
in spring are a wonderful pink colour, then they fade to soft yellow, then
finally to pale green. It is a beautifully shaped tree, and is fairly slow
growing, so won't outlive its space too quickly.
--
Chrissie
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk

Old 10-09-2003, 12:20 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay Easton
writes

I've only just come into this thread, but picked up you want a 20ft tree
and would prefer a british native for the wildlife - have you considered
whitebeam? Opening leaves show their white undersides and look like huge
white tulips, then you have white flowers, and berries in the autumn.

It's also got to sit 12 foot from the house Kay, in the front garden,
instead of the wild cherry which has caught some terrible lurg and will
be completely dead by 2006! The drains run immediately under it but we
wanted to keep the shade for the summer months (hence the 20 foot)
though I guess 10 - 15 would be okay. 8 foot hedge next to it so
anything too small would be squashed unless the crown reaches 8 foot
eventually. Tom wants a deciduous and not an awful exotic
Besides all that I am sure we don't mind what we put there

The other great news the tree surgeon gave us (a good tree surgeon by
the way!) was that he can reduce the crown and lighten the red oak which
is taking over the middle of the back garden. Having been told by RHS
Quercus rubra is slow growing it turns out to be one of the fastest
growing oaks. Often grown for a quick crop in forests........ We
excepted to have moved by now but as it doesn't look like we are going
to yet a while we need to do something about the oak!
(Sigh)

janet

Old 10-09-2003, 12:21 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay Easton
writes

I really don't know what was up with your mulberry. They're not known to
be fast growing and mine certainly isn't,

But you saw my giant tree! Having cropped it to a stump of 5 foot (it
now looks like an elephant upside down in the lawn due to it's four
stems) it grows 7 - 10 foot shoots from all over every year. Slow
growing? HAH! ........................

and no trouble with rotting
fruit - it's too delicious and gets eaten straight away. Not at all the
insipid berries you've described.

Ah but grown from a seed of course there's no knowing the quality of
the fruit, as in apples etc. (She says knowingly, having reached this
conclusion over the last 15 years it took the tree to reach 30foot and
start breaking at every conceivable point))

janet

Old 10-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Kay Easton
writes

I've only just come into this thread, but picked up you want a 20ft tree
and would prefer a british native for the wildlife - have you considered
whitebeam? Opening leaves show their white undersides and look like huge
white tulips, then you have white flowers, and berries in the autumn.

It's also got to sit 12 foot from the house Kay, in the front garden,
instead of the wild cherry which has caught some terrible lurg and will
be completely dead by 2006!

How big is the cherry? They don't seem to be long lived and seem to die
naturally at bout 50.

The drains run immediately under it but we
wanted to keep the shade for the summer months (hence the 20 foot)
though I guess 10 - 15 would be okay.

Well, I guess if you have a huge cherry that close, your drains can't be
*that* vulnerable.

I'd go for Janet's suggestion of a sorbus - which Whitebeam is, or
course, but you also have the mountain ashes.

The other great news the tree surgeon gave us (a good tree surgeon by
the way!) was that he can reduce the crown and lighten the red oak which
is taking over the middle of the back garden. Having been told by RHS
Quercus rubra is slow growing it turns out to be one of the fastest
growing oaks. Often grown for a quick crop in forests........ We
excepted to have moved by now but as it doesn't look like we are going
to yet a while we need to do something about the oak!

I thought the oak was your pride and joy? ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 10-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Kay Easton
writes

I really don't know what was up with your mulberry. They're not known to
be fast growing and mine certainly isn't,

But you saw my giant tree! Having cropped it to a stump of 5 foot (it
now looks like an elephant upside down in the lawn due to it's four
stems) it grows 7 - 10 foot shoots from all over every year. Slow
growing? HAH! ........................

Mine is still a neat lollipop shape after 10 years.

Much less sprawling than the medlar next door to it!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 11-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

I prefer to stick with fairly normal trees for
Britain just because it gives the insects and birds something to feed on
generally, but thanks for the offer Jim.

How about one of the mountain ash/sorbus family? Flowers, pretty
leaves, reliable fruit, autumn colour, feeding birds, rock hardy, no
mess, not too big, and non-invasive roots. Choose your fruit colour from
white, pinks, reds, yellows, gold, orange.

Janet.

Got three janet but I am considering one nevertheless. Thanks

Janet

Old 11-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay Easton
writes

How big is the cherry? They don't seem to be long lived and seem to die
naturally at bout 50.

This one is about 60 years I would guess and 50 foot tall Kay. The one
of the same size and age in the back garden next door is also dying
rapidly.

Well, I guess if you have a huge cherry that close, your drains can't be
*that* vulnerable.

I thought perhaps the drains had been built under the tree after it was
large and the feeder roots had naturally spread out beyond the drains?
Bearing in mind most house would have had septic tanks until at least
the war.

I'd go for Janet's suggestion of a sorbus - which Whitebeam is, or
course, but you also have the mountain ashes.

The other great news the tree surgeon gave us (a good tree surgeon by
the way!) was that he can reduce the crown and lighten the red oak which
is taking over the middle of the back garden. Having been told by RHS
Quercus rubra is slow growing it turns out to be one of the fastest
growing oaks. Often grown for a quick crop in forests........ We
excepted to have moved by now but as it doesn't look like we are going
to yet a while we need to do something about the oak!

I thought the oak was your pride and joy? ;-)

It is, it is ........ the colours and the leaves etc etc. However we
can't let it get so large that we have to fell it.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , TheGardener
writes

I would suggest an Acer pseudoplatanus "Brilliantissimum". Its new leaves
in spring are a wonderful pink colour, then they fade to soft yellow, then
finally to pale green. It is a beautifully shaped tree, and is fairly slow
growing, so won't outlive its space too quickly.
--
Chrissie
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk

Will it be okay so near the house? Isn't it a messy tree?

janet
Old 11-09-2003, 06:12 PM
TheGardener

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , TheGardener
writes

I would suggest an Acer pseudoplatanus "Brilliantissimum". Its new

leaves
in spring are a wonderful pink colour, then they fade to soft yellow,

then
finally to pale green. It is a beautifully shaped tree, and is fairly

slow
growing, so won't outlive its space too quickly.
--
Chrissie
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk

Will it be okay so near the house? Isn't it a messy tree?

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

I'm not sure what you mean by messy, Janet. If you mean the shape, then no,
it's a really beautiful shape. If you mean the falling leaves in autumn,
then it's no more messy than any other deciduous tree. As for it being so
close to the house, I can't see it causing any more problems than your
cherry tree which is there at the moment. The only problem I can see might
be that it is quite a slow grower. But even a small Brilliantissimum is
stunning. Of course, you don't get the beautiful flowers of a cherry tree,
(although it does flower), but the joy of this tree is in the changing
colours of the foliage throughout the year. It gets my vote every time!
There's a picture of the spring growth of my tree he
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/acerbrill.html

Old 11-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Franz Heymann

"TheGardener" wrote in message

[snip]

I'm not sure what you mean by messy, Janet. If you mean the shape, then

no,
it's a really beautiful shape. If you mean the falling leaves in autumn,
then it's no more messy than any other deciduous tree.

There are deciduous trees which are messier than others. The ash which
leans over into my drive (a beautiful tree) is about to shed a huge pile of
seeds into the drive. Within a few weeks of my clearing that, it will start
shedding its leaves.

[snip]

Franz