Old 07-09-2003, 12:25 PM
Danny Lee

Default 3 umbrella plants

Hi All

I have bought 3 umbrella plants from B&Q, and they came in plug pots, and
roots seem to be chocked for space. So I repotted them to medium sized
teracota pots, and watered them daily.

One is florishing pushing new leaves. The other one stopped growing - it
looks as if it stopped growing, but it deos not seem dead. The third one -
smallest of 3, is dying. Most of the leaves have fallen off, and the
remaining one seem to be drying away. All 3 looked very fresh when bought.
Is it repotting or something in our water, or what else could be wrong?

cheers

Dan

Old 07-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Seven

"K" wrote in message

"Danny Lee" wrote in message
: Hi All
:
[...]

I think it is too much water,

I have 2 of these plants and only water them about once a week, stick your
finger in the pot to see if the soil is moist before you water, no point in
watering if it is moist.

Also one of my plants has grown twice as much as the other, one is at the
front of my house and one at the back, the one that has grown the most is in
the front which gets the morning and early afternoon sun.

I got both plants from similar stores to b&q

Old 12-09-2003, 09:06 PM
david keel

"K" wrote in message ...
"Danny Lee" wrote in message
: Hi All
:
: I have bought 3 umbrella plants from B&Q, and they came in plug pots, and
: roots seem to be chocked for space. So I repotted them to medium sized
: teracota pots, and watered them daily.
:
: One is florishing pushing new leaves. The other one stopped growing - it
: looks as if it stopped growing, but it deos not seem dead. The third one -
: smallest of 3, is dying. Most of the leaves have fallen off, and the
: remaining one seem to be drying away. All 3 looked very fresh when bought.
: Is it repotting or something in our water, or what else could be wrong?
:
: cheers
:
: Dan
:
Too much water?

umbrella plants as has been mentioned do not like too much watering,
in fact they seem to thrive on being rather neglected.Letting them
almost dryout and then watering occasionaly seems to work best. They
do not tolerate full sun but do need good light; temperature I think
is most importent 60'f to70'f is their favourite 10'either way they
can cope, otherwise they will suffer. Plus, they do not enjoy too much
fertiliser,so if they look a little unhappy because of what else (as
mentioned) has been done to them,adding fertiliser will only make
matters worse. I hope this helps.
David
Old 17-09-2003, 03:03 PM
Annabel

:
: I have bought 3 umbrella plants from B&Q, and they came in plug

pots, and
: roots seem to be chocked for space. So I repotted them to medium

sized
: teracota pots, and watered them daily.

There are several plants with the common name "Umbrella plant". The one
I have cyperus alternifolius" needs to be stood in water.

Annabel