Old 10-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Sacha

Default Wasp nest between watercourse and public right of way. What

in article , Bevan Price at
wrote on 10/9/03 6:28 pm:

"Nic O'Demus" wrote in message
Last Sunday evening I was topping the grass in a meadow that we, my family
and I, use to walk our dogs. In the process I disturbed a wasp nest and

was
stung on the head. I decided that enough was enough for that day. 15

minutes
to get back, put tractor/topper away, and walk home. By this time, my wife
says, I was doing a good impression of the Elephant Man.
This evening I found the wasp nest. About 5M to the E is a watercourse and
about 5M to the W is a public right of way. The wasp nest is on my land

and
I would like to be rid of the wasps and their nest.
What do I do, and what do I do if a member of the public is stung and

makes
a complaint ? I could perhaps put a sign up telling the public of the
imminent danger of being stung, but I don't think that would help. Perhaps
put a sign up to tell the wasps, that might work just as well! Telephone

the
council to advise them of the problem and ask their advice- If it is on

your
land, you are liable.......etc.......etc. Wait a while until the wasps
either die off or move to another colony; I dont have any great problem

with
that but my family, the roaming public and our dogs may have some

objection,
so this option does present me with a problem.
What to do? Any sensible advice would be gratefully received.
FWIW, Piriton has helped me a great deal, both the swelling and pain are
much reduced.

If this message is off topic for URG, please accept my sincere apologies.

Good luck and best wishes.

Nic

Can you run a portable high pressure water spray, taking water from the
stream?. If so, stand well clear of the nest, point the water jet at the
nest - goodbye nest, wasps move elsewhere. This worked on a wasp nest in my
garage, although I had mains water available for the spray.

Bevan

I don't see how this is a real solution. Either the wasps move to another
location on the same property or they move on to be someone else's problem,
which seems selfish to that someone else.
I am quite allergic to wasp stings but extremely allergic to bee stings and
if someone caused wasps and bees to move off their property and take up
residence on ours in a way that might harm me, I would be less than pleased.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 10-09-2003, 08:03 PM
Chris Hogg

Default Wasp nest between watercourse and public right of way. What to do?

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 22:33:36 +0100, "Nic O'Demus"
wrote:

[...]

You need do nothing. If the wasps have been there all summer without
harming anyone, it's unlikely they'll do so in the next few weeks.
After that they'll all be dead from natural causes. Wasps die in the
Autumn. See the earlier thread on wasps.

--
Chris

Old 10-09-2003, 10:03 PM
Nic O'Demus

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 22:33:36 +0100, "Nic O'Demus"
wrote:

Last Sunday evening I

......snip......

You need do nothing. If the wasps have been there all summer without
harming anyone, it's unlikely they'll do so in the next few weeks.
After that they'll all be dead from natural causes. Wasps die in the
Autumn. See the earlier thread on wasps.

--
Chris

Thats what I have decided. I telephoned the council and spoke to a young
lady who deals with
public footpaths and reported the problem. Also sent them a letter to the
same effect. I don't need an irate walker blaming me for being stung. By the
time (if ever) the council take any action the problem will have gone
through its natural course.
My thanks to those who replied to my original post with constructive
replies, which have given me enough info to make a reasonably informed
decision.
My apologies for perhaps stirring up more than a wasp nest.

Thanks again
Nic

Old 10-09-2003, 11:52 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Nic O'Demus" contains these words:

This evening I found the wasp nest. About 5M to the E is a watercourse and
about 5M to the W is a public right of way. The wasp nest is on my land and
I would like to be rid of the wasps and their nest.

I don't think you would be liable if the public got stung, but if you
really believe a ground nest is a hazard to your own family, you could
direct a watering can or two of boiling water down the entrance hole at
night when the wasps are all inside. The pulp nest collapses, and larvae
and adults die as quickly as possible.

Janet
Old 11-09-2003, 12:44 AM
Nic O'Demus

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Nic O'Demus" contains these words:

This evening I found the wasp nest. About 5M to the E is a watercourse

and
about 5M to the W is a public right of way. The wasp nest is on my land

and
I would like to be rid of the wasps and their nest.

I don't think you would be liable if the public got stung, but if you
really believe a ground nest is a hazard to your own family, you could
direct a watering can or two of boiling water down the entrance hole at
night when the wasps are all inside. The pulp nest collapses, and larvae
and adults die as quickly as possible.

Janet

Thanks Janet,
I probably would not be liable but I really don't want to find out for sure.
I will take no further steps against the nest, it will run its own course
quite soon. The walking/rambling community have caused far more bother than
the wasps this year. As previously written, I have informed the local
council. I will put up signs telling of the risks involved in walking the
path. If nothing else, it may help to reduce the amount of garbage I have to
clear.
Regards
Nic.

Old 11-09-2003, 05:32 PM
trevor.appleton

You could try the Highway Authority. Seeing as its near a Public Rights of
Way, they may deal with it for you (with chemicals of course). This would be
the County Council if you have a two tier local government or the Unitary or
Metropolitan Borough Council in some areas.

They have responsibility for the publics safety on the right of way, so by
informing them you may absolve yourself of public liability. There again
they may force YOU to remove the nest at your expense.

yours

A Public Rights of Way Officer

Trevor

"Nic O'Demus" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old 07-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Alan Holmes

"Nic O'Demus" wrote in message

"anton" wrote in message

Nic O'Demus wrote in message ...
[...]

Half a cup full of petrol. Setting light to it, though fun, is not
necessary.

--
Anton

Thanks for that Anton,
I've considered this but
the nest is very close to a watercourse and no chemicals have been used
on this patch for over 20 years.
Time to look out the old cauldron and make an autumn fire perhaps.
Good luck.

It's not neccessary to use as much as half a cup, half an eggcup will do,
or even a couple of teaspoons, this amount would not affect the watercourse.

Alan

wasp nest and Clorox [email protected] Gardening 11 29-08-2016 01:44 PM
wasp nest and Clorox [email protected] Gardening 0 22-08-2016 04:00 AM
Another wasp nest Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 8 17-08-2008 08:29 PM
Finding a wasp's nest The Filers Lawns 5 24-10-2003 06:02 AM
bee/wasp/hornet/?? Nest Martin R. Soderstrom Gardening 4 16-04-2003 06:44 PM