Old 09-09-2003, 10:36 PM
Nic O'Demus

Default Wasp nest between watercourse and public right of way. What to do?

Last Sunday evening I was topping the grass in a meadow that we, my family
and I, use to walk our dogs. In the process I disturbed a wasp nest and was
stung on the head. I decided that enough was enough for that day. 15 minutes
to get back, put tractor/topper away, and walk home. By this time, my wife
says, I was doing a good impression of the Elephant Man.
This evening I found the wasp nest. About 5M to the E is a watercourse and
about 5M to the W is a public right of way. The wasp nest is on my land and
I would like to be rid of the wasps and their nest.
What do I do, and what do I do if a member of the public is stung and makes
a complaint ? I could perhaps put a sign up telling the public of the
imminent danger of being stung, but I don't think that would help. Perhaps
put a sign up to tell the wasps, that might work just as well! Telephone the
council to advise them of the problem and ask their advice- If it is on your
land, you are liable.......etc.......etc. Wait a while until the wasps
either die off or move to another colony; I dont have any great problem with
that but my family, the roaming public and our dogs may have some objection,
so this option does present me with a problem.
What to do? Any sensible advice would be gratefully received.
FWIW, Piriton has helped me a great deal, both the swelling and pain are
much reduced.

If this message is off topic for URG, please accept my sincere apologies.

Good luck and best wishes.

Nic

Old 09-09-2003, 11:00 PM
Malcolm

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 22:33:36 +0100, "Nic O'Demus"
wrote:

[...]

Leave the bloody things alone. So you got stung, big deal, lifes a
bitch, most of us manage to live around wasps quite happily and if
they really concern you, wait a few months and then simply remove the
nest when they are gone.

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill, you're starting to
sound like that saurkraut sissy fritz.

A sign may be a good public service, anonymous of course, to remove
any prior knowledge liability.

Old 09-09-2003, 11:16 PM
anton

Nic O'Demus wrote in message ...
[...]

Half a cup full of petrol. Setting light to it, though fun, is not
necessary.

--
Anton

Old 09-09-2003, 11:45 PM
Nic O'Demus

"anton" wrote in message

Nic O'Demus wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks for that Anton,
I've considered this but
the nest is very close to a watercourse and no chemicals have been used
on this patch for over 20 years.
Time to look out the old cauldron and make an autumn fire perhaps.
Good luck.
Nic

Old 09-09-2003, 11:45 PM
Nic O'Demus

s.com...
wrote:

[...]

Thank you for your most inarticulate, uninspiring and uninformative reply.
Life, as you copied from elsewhere, is a bitch.
see you Next Tuesday.
Nic

Old 09-09-2003, 11:45 PM
Sacha

Default Wasp nest between watercourse and public right of way. What

in article , Nic O'Demus at
wrote on 9/9/03 11:36 pm:

"anton" wrote in message

Nic O'Demus wrote in message ...
[...]

I do think the advice given elsewhere is good. This is the end of the
'wasp' season. It's probably going to be more important to you to watch out
for where a new nest is next year and deal with that IF it's going to be a
bother to you.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 10-09-2003, 01:21 AM
Nic O'Demus

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , Nic O'Demus at
wrote on 9/9/03 11:36 pm:

"anton" wrote in message

Nic O'Demus wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks Sacha,

the advice might be good but I do not use chemicals.
I hope that those who stroll my land will be of a similar opinion.
Regards
Nic.

Old 10-09-2003, 09:21 AM
Andy Spragg

"Nic O'Demus" pushed briefly to the front of the
queue on Wed, 10 Sep 2003 00:46:56 +0100, and nailed this to the shed
door:

^ "Sacha" wrote in message
^ ...

^ I do think the advice given elsewhere is good. This is the end of the
^ 'wasp' season. It's probably going to be more important to you to watch
^ out
^ for where a new nest is next year and deal with that IF it's going to be a
^ bother to you.

^ Thanks Sacha,
^
^ the advice might be good but I do not use chemicals.
^ I hope that those who stroll my land will be of a similar opinion.
^ Regards
^ Nic.

ICBW but I got the impression that Sacha was on the side of giving the
wasps an even break i.e. the same side as Malcolm, only free of the
character disorder.

Andy

--
sparge at globalnet point co point uk

Give me a nice smooth, peaty island malt any day.
Tomorrow would do nicely.
Bob Goddard, uk.rec.sheddizen

Old 10-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Malcolm

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 23:31:39 +0100, "Nic O'Demus"
wrote:

ws.com...
wrote:

[...]

Glad you managed to comprehend, I wondered just how low I would need
to go for you to understand, you not being the brightest dick on the
block!

see you Next Tuesday.
Nic

Taking bets folks. I give a thousand to one this queen has no
intentions of ever seeing me?

Old 10-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Malcolm

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 23:36:09 +0100, "Nic O'Demus"
wrote:

"anton" wrote in message

Nic O'Demus wrote in message ...
[...]

Prick. Lets hope it doesn't spread to your house by some strange quirk
of fate!

Old 10-09-2003, 12:18 PM
Herald

Nic O'Demus wrote:

Last Sunday evening I was topping the grass in a meadow that we, my family
and I, use to walk our dogs.

Have you tried calling the local council? They usually have pest
eradicators who will remove wasps nests from private property, I don't
think it costs that much. We had to have one removed from the house
eaves when I was a student and were able to afford it (actually not sure
it cost anything). They'll probably be fairly quick if you mention the
public footpath!

Good luck

Herald

Old 10-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Iain Miller

see you Next Tuesday.
Nic

Taking bets folks. I give a thousand to one this queen has no
intentions of ever seeing me?

....errr you need to look at that again to see what he was reall saying!

Old 10-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Bevan Price

"Nic O'Demus" wrote in message
[...]

Can you run a portable high pressure water spray, taking water from the
stream?. If so, stand well clear of the nest, point the water jet at the
nest - goodbye nest, wasps move elsewhere. This worked on a wasp nest in my
garage, although I had mains water available for the spray.

Bevan

wasp nest and Clorox [email protected] Gardening 11 29-08-2016 01:44 PM
wasp nest and Clorox [email protected] Gardening 0 22-08-2016 04:00 AM
Another wasp nest Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 8 17-08-2008 08:29 PM
Finding a wasp's nest The Filers Lawns 5 24-10-2003 06:02 AM
bee/wasp/hornet/?? Nest Martin R. Soderstrom Gardening 4 16-04-2003 06:44 PM